User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Potential Steam integration, Gimme feedback plz!!1

Pages: 1

Dr. Cossack
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki ... and 24 more
Stream: It's crazy how those Final Fantasy RPGs gr...

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 31 [What's this?]
Posted on April 11, 2012 at 3:50:10 [Post link]

This comes as a follow-up to my previous topic about Steam.

I'm considering doing some Steam integration on this board, and I'd like to hear from you if this is a good idea or not, and what you'd expect to see. As a basis, much like how it currently works for Minecraft players, it'd be trivial for me to display in "Who's Online" the list of people currently connected in Steam. That way, you can quickly see at a glance if anyone you're hoping to catch online is available. This could also be used to display a small notification whenever a friend gets online as you're browsing the board. The end result would include a Steam section in your redesigned member profile, with your contact info and everything (if you want to share it, that is).

Community integration is possible too. A special page or section could display the latest events planned for the various games we're playing, like a special Minecraft weekend or a friendly Team Fortress 2 event. If you're logged in to Steam, you get the notifications instantly. If you're not, you can read about them on the board. This is something I'd like to learn to use properly.

Eventually, the API available is extensive enough that I could display your list of items and achievements from some games, including Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2, right on this board. As an example of what's possible, here's my TF2 loadout. That page is something I can completely replicate, or use the same data in a different way. A new page on your member profile could be used to display those items and/or achievements, including your recent gaming activity on games you decide to share.

Now comes the big question: would I be wasting my time, since this somewhat duplicates what's already available using the Steam client, or would you like to be able to see the online users and proudly display game items/achievements/whatever? Maybe only one of these ideas would be interesting? Or you've got something entirely else in mind?

Granted, this is something that'd probably be coming along in a few months at the very least since I have other things lined up first, but I'd like to hear from you first!

Want a special look for your posts, similar to my own? Try the post themes!
---
I'm on Steam! Add me there, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!
---
"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on April 12, 2012 at 6:30:36 [Post link]

You know I want this

So yeah~

Pages: 1

New topic Reply