Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: What about a world where visitors can actually play?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on September 22, 2016 at 15:23:40 [Post link]

I had an idea last night after we had yet another new face jump in, walk and chat for a few minutes, then bail after hearing about the registration process.

Even if we allow visitors to freely roam Laurasia, that reaches its limits very quickly. Of course, the goal is to keep griefers and morons away from us with a basic comprehension test (registration). At the same time, it's hard to gauge how fun the place can be after a few minutes only. Ideally, I'd like to bring a lot more players into the fold without sacrificing quality.

That's where that new idea comes in. What if we had another world, one that'd allow visitors to actually play survival Minecraft with the rest of us? Ideally, after a few hours or days of playtime, they'd keep hearing about the fun stuff that's available in the other worlds, the extra features that could be available to them like the achievements, contests and Events Nights, and they'd decide to commit by registering, gaining access to everything.

This, of course, brings some concerns about moderation. It's entirely possible to find and ban griefing players, as we always do, although there'd be more to hunt down that we currently do. We also have an option to automatically remove any changes that a given player has done; it needs a single command from any op.

My original idea was to create a brand new world. There's also the option to reuse one of the existing worlds, buuuuut:

- Laurasia is an obvious no-go due to its complexity and sheer size.

- Gondwana might be interesting since it has few (or any) active players right now, but the amplified terrain might not offer the best first impression... and it doesn't agree with all hardware setups.

- Rodinia could be it since it still has plenty of potential for development yet has an established infrastructure (start city and basic rail network). Of course, its current player base might have strong objections to allowing newbs to run around unchecked. :)

That's why I was thinking about creating another world, with a set size (something close to current-UHC or Rodinia), that people would be free to jump into and really try out what we have to offer.

Thoughts on any of the above points?

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

SorathePumpking
Contributor
Minecraft helper
Death itself

Badges: Squid beaker
Posted on September 24, 2016 at 4:00:56 [Post link]

It sounds plausible, possibly as something of a tutorial world.

Could do something like when they join, they are dropped into the tutorial world first, and given an option on that map to drop from there to the lobby if they'd like. Or possibly require registration to move beyond that world. (Maybe even embed the lobby itself into the center of the noobworld? something to play around with)

Primagen102
Contributor
Minecraft helper
LordofLime

NetNavi:
GenericModel1.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on September 29, 2016 at 3:03:15 [Post link]

I like the idea, maybe a town with plots that can easily be reset if no one is there after so long or grief occurs?

Lord Of The Almighty All Powerful Super Green Baked Silica of the Lime Variety.

Coneva
Robot master

Posted on October 5, 2016 at 18:15:08 [Post link]

You mean ANOTHER world I'll have to go build in? 😆😝😉 (said she who has not built in Gondwana)
I think that's good. Only issue I see would be controlling chat and the amount of work to stop someone who does abuse chat since you mentioned the work of finding s problem player.. I presume you would want chat linked, bc otherwise how would they hear about the rest of the worlds?

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on October 6, 2016 at 2:16:32 [Post link]

Quote from post #237267:
Originally posted by Coneva
I presume you would want chat linked, bc otherwise how would they hear about the rest of the worlds?

Yes. Basically, what I have in mind for that is a system similar to the UHC world: it's linked with the global chat and visitors can freely play in it. That can already help figure out when something goes wrong.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Anonymous_SoFar
Minecraft op
Soviet Bear

Badges: Squid beaker

NetNavi:
Nothing.EXE
Z-license
Level: 31 [What's this?]
Posted on October 6, 2016 at 3:01:37 [Post link]

I believe it is a good idea. obviously limit the world to a small area or relatively small. Just a hope of getting some more good people on the server, letting someone have a taste instead of "look here you can do anything" would be more of an incentive to actually play, especially in this day in age when everyone's attention span is only eight sec... Now what were we saying?

Dragon Man
Minecraft helper
A Shadow of your True Inner Self

Stream: I'm o_o'ing you.

NetNavi:
Raegal.ELF.EXE
Z-license
Posted on October 10, 2016 at 21:58:49 [Post link]

I can dig it. A new world will let folks play around without registering, while keeping them from draining donated supplies/making messes all over Central/PointZero.

Warning: Boggarts in mirror are closer than they appear!

Exodio
Contributor
Lead character

Badges: 100 credits 50 credits

NetNavi:
Creative.EXE
Z-license
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 15:10:59 [Post link]

*Zero Point

Quote from post #237270:
Originally posted by Dragon Man
I can dig it. A new world will let folks play around without registering, while keeping them from draining donated supplies/making messes all over Central/PointZero.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply