New topic Reply

Topic: Mega Man 9, Yep.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 ... 7 ... 9 10

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Stream: Huzzah!
Posted on June 13, 2008 at 18:00:22 [Post link]

As the charming man who does the newsposts reported earlier, a registry for Mega Man 9 has appeared on an Australian classification board. Details are scarce, but there is some information there.

The news was originally broken by NeoGAF forum members. The on-going discussion can be followed here.

MORE DISCUSSION OF THE EXCITING NEWS GOES HERE, BENEATH MY POST
|
|
|
v

Edited by Mr.Mettaur on June 13, 2008 at 14:00:36.

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on June 13, 2008 at 18:51:31 [Post link]

This is the best day eveeeeeeeeeeeeer (best day eveeeeeeeeeeer)

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on June 13, 2008 at 18:57:53 [Post link]

Please, please, PLEASE don't be a false alarm...

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit

Stream: I can fix it!

NetNavi:
Cookie.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on June 13, 2008 at 20:38:57 [Post link]

I'm not sure what to make of it. I can't double check it with the US Copyright website since nothing is current there... At least not with Capcom's licenses.

It does open up an interesting future...

Arkane
Archangel

NetNavi:
Evangale.EXE
Z-license
Level: 69 [What's this?]
Posted on June 13, 2008 at 21:23:00 [Post link]

:eek:

*dies*

Best day....ever!

According to this place, it will be downloadable via Xbox Live and Playstation's PSN.

Kind of a weird decision. Why not just release it as a purchasable game?

Hope it comes to WiiWare, at the very least.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 3:32:09 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Arkane
According to this place, it will be downloadable via Xbox Live and Playstation's PSN.

DAMNIT! You're telling me that I've waited more than 10 years for a sequel release on consoles I don't own!?

Wait, you know what? I don't bite. The proof that the game is coming up sounds pretty solid, but I'm not convinced about the fact that it'd be a downloadable. ... I'm kinda nervous about a detail, though: Inafune said some time back that Capcom was hesitating about sequels because of potentially low sales... Since the overhead involved in creating downloadable games is much smaller, they could release one there without as many problems, making it a possibility.

In the very least, it's fun to have something new to talk about in the Original Series forum. I don't see that Mega Man and Dr. Wily logo nearly enough. :) And Metty, you sure didn't waste your time reporting the news!

There's one thing to note, at the end: if this is true, it will kill once and for all the silly idea that Mega Man & Bass is Mega Man 9. That alone will be worth celebrating for!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Posted on June 14, 2008 at 3:40:04 [Post link]

Well, don't give up hope, Doc...it could always be a Wii/DS deal. Those seem popular these days.

And Mega Man & Bass...I guess that gets demoted to Mega Man 8.5. :lol:

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 3:40:11 [Post link]

Quote:
Capcom was hesitating about sequels because of potentially low sales... Since the overhead involved in creating downloadable games is much smaller, they could release one there without as many problems, making it a possibility.

Says the company who pumps out at least 2 Megaman games yearly.

Edited by Teej on June 13, 2008 at 20:40:27.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 4:23:10 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Teej
Says the company who pumps out at least 2 Megaman games yearly.

... on portable systems, where the developments costs are much lower.

C'mon, the last real console release for Mega Man was the enjoyable Mega Man X: Command Mission, in 2004. That's almost 4 years already. Since Capcom (like most companies) often uses different teams to work on handheld and console products, I wouldn't say that they've been very active on that point.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 4:53:02 [Post link]

It's also clear that Capcom doesn't consider Mega Man to be that profitable anymore. It happens with pretty much every franchise they've got, barring respective miracles like the push for Street Fighter 4 or the incredible success of Resident Evil 4. At this point, XBLA sounds like the best venue to appease us Mega Man fans without Capcom actually trying to do something new.

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 5:04:13 [Post link]

Actually, Megaman X8 was the last console release, though it was still in 2004.

I think this is the first Megaman game since then that piques my interest, but I also find it disappointing. I don't have a 360, PS3 or Wii, nor the intent to buy any right now. :/

Nayus Dante
Superstar!

Posted on June 14, 2008 at 13:47:48 [Post link]

Here's hoping they don't just screw it up. A serious plot-hole-closer game to bridge TOS and X would be preferred.

Arkane
Archangel

NetNavi:
Evangale.EXE
Z-license
Level: 69 [What's this?]
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 18:34:20 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Inafune said some time back that Capcom was hesitating about sequels because of potentially low sales...

Capcom are a bunch of wimps. They can abuse franchises with remakes up the ying-yang, but they very seldomly make new releases and sequels.

Just think back to 1987, when Inafune first created Mega Man (Rockman) for the home consumer department(namely, the NES). In an interview with G4 (unlockable in MM:AC for the GC) he claims that despite the effort they put forth in the creation of the first Mega Man game, Capcom believed that it would not sell.

Guess how things change...

If Capcom actually tried making a new Original Mega Man game,(not talking about spin-offs), with the same effort they put in some of their newer titles (Dead Rising, Resident Evil 4, 5, Lost Planet, etc.),Mega Man could be on the same level as Mario...at least in terms of originality and diversity.

Guess I'm forgetting, originality was far more welcomed back in the day, and risks had to be made in order to get anywhere.

I can only hope for the best. Here's hoping that the whole Mega Man franchise doesn't just become made to appeal to consoles' firmware.

____EDIT___

New info.

Hmmmm....A Wii and a DS version? Now THAT'S more like it! Maybe a 3-D version of the game for the Wii and a 2-D version for the DS?

Edited by Arkane on June 14, 2008 at 11:50:49.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on June 14, 2008 at 21:56:42 [Post link]

Quote:
New info.

Hmmmm....A Wii and a DS version? Now THAT'S more like it! Maybe a 3-D version of the game for the Wii and a 2-D version for the DS?

I wouldn't call that "New info". It's more like "speculation from someone else". I think that a dual Wii and DS release is even less likely than a downloadable version. That sort of dual release is often seen for games like, say, "Mega Man Soccer", but not for numbered titles. Besides, I wouldn't say that the Mega Man series always belonged on Nintendo systems: the Original and X series moved to Sony in 1997, and the sequels have almost all been over there.

What COULD be an alternative is a dual PSP and DS releases: some other companies have done it before. Capcom seems to like releasing games on the PSP quite a bit, and the DS would reach to their primary Nintendo fanbase.

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Posted on June 14, 2008 at 23:23:26 [Post link]

Either way, it's sure to make an appearance at E3. Then we'll have more details.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on June 16, 2008 at 22:21:05 [Post link]

Well keep us posted Met. I'm too aloof to keep up with videogames nowadays.

It's interesting but if it does come out as downloadable anything, I won't be getting it..probably. Unless it's on a Nintendo system.

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet

Stream: Games of the moment: Gundam EXVS and TF: FoC

NetNavi:
SPTLayzner.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on June 17, 2008 at 0:09:25 [Post link]

...Well, that's interesting. I was planning on getting a PS3 soon anyway. Guess that's one more reason to do so.

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on June 17, 2008 at 1:04:17 [Post link]

Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.

Two playable characters: Rockman and Blues (ProtoMan). Each has their own unique storylines.

A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

Many new characters, new Robot Masters and maybe some new supporting characters.

Gameplay is reminiscent of Rockman 3-6.

Online components: Leader boards and some unknown form of online play

RM9 will be on all major home consoles: Wii, X360 and PS3. X360 and PS3 users will be able to purchase the game from their respective download services. It's unknown how the Wii version will work, whether it will be a downloaded game or not.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoid-mega-man-9-details-90888.phtml

lolwut@first

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on June 17, 2008 at 1:18:17 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Teej
A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

WHAT A SURPRISE :V

Nayus Dante
Superstar!

Posted on June 17, 2008 at 2:34:11 [Post link]

I actually have a personal wishlist of elements for this release. If you guys like the ideas, I'd definitely spearhead a petition to make sure it's a "for the fans" release, as opposed to "generic kids game 2008."

• Art Style and Tone - adolescent or adult Rockman, like 7-8, or even older. We've grown up with him, he should reflect that. "Retro 8-Bit" style would work great as well, but we have (some really good) rom hacks to fill that need.
  • Music - That synth-rock stuff from X4 would be welcome, seemed to really fit the series as a whole. Still, retro chiptunes would be amazing if they got it right (push the limits of NES sound synthesis, then emulate the output).
  • Online - Leaderboards are expected these days, but does anyone really care? Just upgrade the level editor from Powered Up and keep the level sharing. Instant win. Seriously, this would be a MAJOR plus, more than anything else!
  • Story - Go back and answer some questions about the story. I do NOT want to see a new plotline that opens and closes neatly, never referencing the previous games.
  • Technical - Program the game right! A few mets on the screen should NOT cause slowdown.
  • Sales - I understand that not a lot of non-fans will buy the game, no matter what. Release-as-download could be the best format for this game, but what happens after this system generation? I have the rest of the series in physical form, and I'll be damned if I can't play this one twenty years from now. Do a collector's edition, available at the Capcom site exclusively if need be. Include a soundtrack, art book, making-of-series DVD, and an action figure set (or at least some gashapon, they've made enough over the years). Put it all in an E-Can tin. I'd pay $100.
  • Misc - PLEASE reference the recent fandom! If there's even a slight reference to Air Man Ga Taosennai, I'll be happy.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on June 17, 2008 at 2:40:46 [Post link]

Quote:
Capcom are a bunch of wimps. They can abuse franchises with remakes up the ying-yang, but they very seldomly make new releases and sequels.

Wha? Capcom = EA!?

Quote:
In an interview with G4 (unlockable in MM:AC for the GC) he claims that despite the effort they put forth in the creation of the first Mega Man game, Capcom believed that it would not sell.

Final Fantasy is the same story. Surprises happen.

Quote:
Guess I'm forgetting, originality was far more welcomed back in the day, and risks had to be made in order to get anywhere.

Your sarcasm is duly noted. But let's not get carried away here. Originality is still highly prized. It may not take that to make a "good game", but it's still what separates the Halo 2s from the BioShocks/Mass Effects/Fallouts.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet

Stream: Games of the moment: Gundam EXVS and TF: FoC

NetNavi:
SPTLayzner.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on June 17, 2008 at 3:07:46 [Post link]

...They'll be using the 8-bit style? Oh wow. Here I was expecting some new 2d stuff, not NES era graphics :/

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Posted on June 17, 2008 at 3:23:59 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by SPT Layzner
...They'll be using the 8-bit style? Oh wow. Here I was expecting some new 2d stuff, not NES era graphics :/

I very... very... VERY... seriously doubt that'll happen. Even with Capcom. If we have any 8-bit in it, it'll be a bonus, like Mega Man a in ZXA.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
ImageImage

Nayus Dante
Superstar!

Posted on June 17, 2008 at 3:40:06 [Post link]

Anybody here read the Aussie rating info? The applicant was Red Ant Enterprises. Look them up. Are they a publisher, a developer, outsourcer? Their site isn't exactly that informative.

Edited by Nayus Dante on June 16, 2008 at 23:41:56.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on June 18, 2008 at 2:24:14 [Post link]

It's a publisher!

Nayus Dante
Superstar!

Posted on June 18, 2008 at 4:09:49 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
It's a publisher!

Hmmm. I sent an email to their inquiries dept, but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm curious, would they even have any details on the game if they're just the publisher for AU?

And if the game is going to be released in digital form only, then there shouldn't be a need for a publisher. I think that nearly confirms a physical release.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on June 18, 2008 at 6:16:40 [Post link]

Plz make a Wii port you Australians you

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Posted on June 21, 2008 at 4:54:40 [Post link]

Okay, it's official.

An anonymous beta tester sent this screenshot into Rockman Perfect Memories.

He also made various affirmations:

- You can play as Blues. (!)
- The graphics are in the 8-bit sprite style, but not the classic Famicom/NES one.
- It doesn't have anything to do with the X series. (...)
- Tango is in it, and works just like the Rockman World Game Boy version.
- The game doesn't support full wide screen YET, but it will.
- It does support 480p.

The hype train is starting to build up speed, I think..!

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Posted on June 21, 2008 at 5:15:05 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mettaur
- The graphics are in the 8-bit sprite style, but not the classic Famicom/NES one.

*sighs*

*proceeds to eat his words*

ImageImage

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on June 21, 2008 at 5:42:33 [Post link]

Is there any words to describe this awesomenessicity?

No. Which is why I made one up.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 ... 7 ... 9 10

New topic Reply