Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Anime vs manga, Which is more enjoyable?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on March 5, 2011 at 22:55:39 [Post link]

Here's a question for you people who have watched a decent amount of anime and read a nice amount of manga.

Whenever some series are available in both formats, such as Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist and Rurouni Kenshin, they get adapted to fit better within their medium. For example, an anime might skip some plot points or merge characters to get things done at a faster pace, while it's also possible to see new side stories if the matching manga's release pace is slow.

Overall, which tend to be more enjoyable? The anime, or the manga? And why?

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on March 6, 2011 at 6:30:00 [Post link]

It really depends. For the most part, I prefer the atmosphere the sounds of anime bring (like music and such) as well as the animation, but sometimes censorship happens and lessens the impact, or the animation is a bit wonky (Pain, I'm looking at you) etc.

Interesting case, since you bring up Full Metal Alchemist. The second anime, Brotherhood, that follows the manga story rushes through the first 12 episodes. This is partly because the original anime covered those same events and so they didn't want to bog viewers down (also because they were pretty quick in the manga too; she hadn't gotten the pacing quite down yet) but then it slows down and IMO surpasses the manga in quality.

Like, there's one scene where Ed is getting dragged through the Door of truth by the very forces of reality. In the manga, he manages to say one last line to his brother's body (which is still self-aware, despite not having a soul in it). In the anime, he gets pulled through the door before he can say it...

...then punches it back open through sheer force of will to say that last line as the opening theme plays. It's a small change, but it adds so much "punch", if you'll pardon the pun.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on March 6, 2011 at 17:36:21 [Post link]

Then there instances like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, where you need to keep track of both, as the manga acts as supplemental material to the anime. It isn't needed to enjoy the anime, but it does help flesh out the setting.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on March 7, 2011 at 21:08:37 [Post link]

>Anime vs Manga

No matter who wins, everyone loses.

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet

Stream: Games of the moment: Gundam EXVS and TF: FoC

NetNavi:
SPTLayzner.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on March 7, 2011 at 23:26:46 [Post link]

I kinda like both, but I prefer mangas mainly because I prefer reading them on the go...and reading mangas online in class is much more practical than watching an anime...

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit

Stream: I can fix it!

NetNavi:
Cookie.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 19:20:25 [Post link]

Yeah, it all depends. Generally, I like reading the manga more. For example, I couldn't stand watching "Emma: A Victorian Romance" since they didn't bother dubbing it. (Subtitles detract from the animation.) But I loved the manga.

For manga, you could go at your own pace and study the art.

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 23:47:19 [Post link]

I tend to find that in the case of popular manga that have anime adaptations, the manga is better. Otherwise, anime.

...though then there are manga like King of Thorn and Otaku no Musume-san that are just amazing.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 5:47:41 [Post link]

I usually prefer manga over anime even though I don't really read/watch much anymore. I have kind of grown out of it.
Usually if I read the manga before seeing the anime, I like the manga better, and vise versa.
I just feel like manga goes by faster and does not bore me as much.
But like others have said, it all depends.
Each have their charms.
I sometimes like how manga and and anime have changes between them because the anime will sometimes surprise you.

Tri-Edge
Bobo

Stream: Your FACE!!!

NetNavi:
Kuskus.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on March 21, 2011 at 8:41:36 [Post link]

I prefer Anime, love anime to death. Its because of the music and sounds. You can hear the emotion coming from the character rather than reading about it. However I will read manga if necessary. If its weird series like .hack// is where the story is spread out between anime and manga and video game series but all connected then I'll do it.

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"
.... .hack//kyat....we miss you dearly

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on March 22, 2011 at 9:25:46 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Tri-Edge
I prefer Anime, love anime to death. Its because of the music and sounds. You can hear the emotion coming from the character rather than reading about it. However I will read manga if necessary. If its weird series like .hack// is where the story is spread out between anime and manga and video game series but all connected then I'll do it.

So that is why I never got the hang of the .hack// animes. :P

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Tri-Edge
Bobo

NetNavi:
Kuskus.EXE
Z-license
Posted on March 23, 2011 at 13:44:59 [Post link]

Yea its kinda silly lol. They spread it out so far. It goes like this
Beginning of story: Graphic Novels .hack//AI Buster vol. 1 and 2
Then: Anime .hack//SIGN
Then: Playstation 2
.hack//Infection Vol. 1,
.hack//Mutation Vol. 2,
.hack//Outbreak Vol. 3,
.hack//Quarantine Vol. 4.

Also dont forget: 4 part anime series that CAME WITH the 4 PS2 games above and they take place at the same time as the game.
.hack//Liminality Vol. 1 In the case of Mai Minase,
.hack//Liminality Vol. 2 In the case of Yuki Aihara,
.hack//Liminality Vol. 3 In the case of Kyoto Tohno,
and .hack//Liminality Vol. 4 Trismegistus.

Then: Anime .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet
Then: Anime .hack//ROOTS
Then: Playstation 2
.hack//G.U. Vol. 1 Rebirth,
.hack//G.U. Vol. 2 Reminisce,
.hack//G.U. Vol. 3 Redemption.
Then: PSP game .hack//LINK
Last: Happening now Anime .hack//Quantum

Heres the wiki http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/.hack//Wiki

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"

AimMan v2.5
Superstar!

Stream: Ask me about GSCOM!
Posted on April 1, 2011 at 7:48:29 [Post link]

I don't read a lot of manga nowadays, I mostly just check when my friends remind me. I do still watch a sort of seasonal selection of anime, though. If I had to say which I'd prefer, it's probably anime, since I can just let it play while I eat or fold clothes. Sort of a lame reason, I know. :'D

Join the DevART Megaman Legends Club:
http://megaman-legends-club.deviantart.com

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on April 2, 2011 at 7:04:46 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Morphman
Quote:
Originally posted by Tri-Edge

So that is why I never got the hang of the .hack// animes. :P

A-yup. You have to dip into about 15 different mediums to get the whole story.

Problem is, I can only think of about four or five mediums.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Tri-Edge
Bobo

NetNavi:
Kuskus.EXE
Z-license
Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:41:42 [Post link]

lol I loved .hack so much, Im sad its come to and end. :/ No more manga, video games, or animes to expect from them ever again.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply