Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: I has a computer issue, Just like old times, right?

Pages: 1

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on April 11, 2012 at 19:47:25 [Post link]

So recently I lost access to my NVIDIA control panel that I eventually fixed by disabling onboard graphics so my computer could rely on the graphics card I had installed. This came with a price, as those onboard graphics was what allowed my computer to work with my HDTV. I have since fixed that by getting a DVI-to-HDMI adapter so my TV can hook up to the graphics card directly.

Now, somehow, during that timeframe when I wasn't using the computer until I got that part, my computer acquired some new problem--how, I don't know, I didn't even have it turned on for a week or two--and it's now worsened to the point where I need someone's help fixing it, or to take it into a shop--something I cannot afford with my 16-to-20 bucks one-day-a-week job.

My computer will now sometimes freeze up or crash upon Window's loading up. Some of the icons on the desktop and in the start menu won't load up; they'll appear as standard white page images, the typical "We don't recognize this file" type of file icon. When these don't revert to what they're supposed to be, I know the computer has glitched up. On occasion they'll load up but crash anyway. Sometimes just moving the mouse over to the start bar will cause the computer to freeze up. Sometimes it'll load up completely but opening up a folder will cause it to freeze up. Sometimes during these events, the desktop background will turn completely white as it tries and fails to load something.

There have been a few occasions where the computer did not crash. During these times, I would sometimes encounter an entirely different problem. When watching some of my anime, when skipping segments of a video playing in Media Player Classic, the screen will suddenly turn a transparent, wobbly transparent purple-pink color. Sound will continue as normal, but everything on screen except the mouse would freeze into place. Sometimes the mouse would freeze as well. I have attempted to rectify this by reinstalling my graphics drivers, and I had not had the problem since.

Sometimes, it'd load up and I wouldn't have any problems at all.

Today, however, my computer has given up any pretense of working properly. At first it loaded up fine, but attempting to play a video quickly brought about the purple screen issue, proving that reinstalling the graphics drivers did not help. This forced me to reset, and upon loading back up the second time after loading Safe Mode (which thus far has not encountered any of those issues mentioned above). At this point, I had the first assortment of issues mentioned. This continued for the next seventeen attempts at getting the computer to load properly. Normally I gain regular access to the computer without issue within three to four resets, so I know it's done pretending it'll be cooperative.

At this point, my only idea left is to reinstall Windows 7, but the thing is, I don't have an install disc for it, and have to put the program onto a flash drive. I also do not want to lose all the files on the computer, and I don't know if reinstalling the OS would cause me to lose those files.

Any ideas? Or will I have to put myself into debt again to get it fixed by a professional?

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Posted on April 11, 2012 at 22:40:05 [Post link]

Okay apparently the problem for the windows crash was caused by avast! antivirus, so I've gotten rid of that.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
ImageImage

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 2:41:31 [Post link]

I forgot to send in my reply yesterday...

The icons appearing gradually after Windows start is something normal, my own Windows 7 desktop computer does the same thing. Of course, the proper icons should show up after several seconds. I unfortunately don't know what could be the cause of your other video problems.

Reinstalling Windows 7 from a USB memory stick is fairly straightforward, and I did it on a computer that doesn't have any kind of disc drive. If you select the proper options, you can attempt a repair install instead of wiping your entire drive, but backups are always recommended before doing that in case something goes wrong.

As far as anti-viruses go, I'm quite satisfied with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's light, doesn't try to take over your computer and you can configure it the way you want.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet

Stream: Games of the moment: Gundam EXVS and TF: FoC

NetNavi:
SPTLayzner.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on April 17, 2012 at 5:26:11 [Post link]

Personally, I use Panda Cloud and it works just fine.

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Posted on April 17, 2012 at 6:50:16 [Post link]

I uninstalled avast from both my computers and both have stabilized. Using Microsoft Security Essentials now. Also reverted to a more stable version of my graphics driver and I haven't had the purple screen of death appear.

ImageImage

AsmaNaeem
Asma Naeem

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 10:11:59 [Post link]

That purple screen appears due to your hard disk problem, several months back i had faced the same issue, it happens when your hard is get affected by virus, and has no empty space in it... So the best practice is to open your CPU box and give it a blow with any machine, clean it, and also create some empty space if its memory is 100 percent filled.. and also have a look on your rams if they are fitted well in the board.. Hope all this will help you and you will never ever see that blue screen again...

Pages: 1

New topic Reply