Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: SPACE MAN BOB, A SPACE MAN IN SPACE, A side project of mine. IMAGE HEAVY!

Pages: 1

Fred the met
Jedi Master

Stream: Blargh.
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 8:47:40 [Post link]

May or may not be related to the Killers song.

Oh, who am I kidding? This has nothing to do with that song, but I love it any way.

THIS is an idea I had a while ago: a hilariously uninspired game character typical of most early games that took place in space somewhere: the white spandex space suit, the motorcycle helmet, and the big backpack.
The suit is supposed to be fairly androgynous, not sure how well I did with that. The character is in the game I've been making, along with several others in nearly the same exact suit. Their identity is not only never fully revealed, but also completely irrelevant, as is the sex and race of all the other characters.
The game's idea is simple: you're a newbie arrived at a small space colony that has just started on an alien planet. You're a researcher, identified by your green visor. Orange visors are mechanics, purple are medics, and blue are admins. You are armed with nothing but a tranquilizer pistol and jet boots. You're not allowed to kill any of the lifeforms present, only stun them (which lasts for maybe 1-3 seconds)

You've got 3 different gauges to monitor, in order of importance:
Fuel, Temperature, Oxygen.

"wat y is o2 lassed"
Oxygen is last because your suit has an onboard rebreather powered by your fuel that filters the oxygen out of your breath and any ambient gasses present.

"wat temp do"
Temperature is crucial because while using your rocket boots, your temperature rapidly climbs. Get too hot and your fuel tank turns into a huge bomb, turning you into a gooey mess. Your suit has a safety cut-off that cuts your fuel when the temperature gets too hot, but make sure you're not jumping over a hot pit of lava when that happens.

"fuel wat"

Fuel is what powers everything in your suit. From your jet boots and your oxygen, you need fuel. Yes, I did make this in response to irritatingly climbing gas prices and the fact we haven't made any real advancements toward affordable alternative fuels in a long time. When your fuel is depleted, you can watch your oxygen slowly deplete before you faceplant and wake up at the clinic with an angry medic standing over you, chanting "Safety, safety, safety."

"helth br"

There is no health bar.
You get attacked and you'll have some oxygen cut off for a bit, only a temporary concern, but if you take too many rapid hits, you will faint. However, there are long term effects: every hit has a high chance of cutting into a fuel line and starting a leak or worsening an existing one. This will potentially RUIN a long mission. You can visibly see the fuel drops actually spraying from your suit, and they get worse with larger leaks until you look like an upside down untied water balloon.

It is also interesting to note that if you stand in water with a fuel leak, the water will flood your fuel tank and you'll get a false reading. The filters will eject it without much consequence, but it can be very deceiving.

I'll get a demo ready soon.

C+C?

So I'm not going to have anything spectacular in my signature.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 15:51:37 [Post link]

Quote:
The suit is supposed to be fairly androgynous, not sure how well I did with that.

I really don't see how "giant muscular legs and arms" doesn't scream "male" and instead suggests "androgyny".

Fred the met
Jedi Master

Stream: Blargh.
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 17:31:23 [Post link]

I rest my case.

Edited by Fred the met on July 22, 2013 at 13:36:40

So I'm not going to have anything spectacular in my signature.

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 17:51:41 [Post link]

He's got you there, Hollow. :V

As for the whole androgynous issue, you'll have to avoid latex sections on the spacesuit design, otherwise it gives things away. That said, I think the design works pretty well as it is. Pretty retro.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 2:56:21 [Post link]

I'm getting a big Metroid vibe from the visuals, that might or might not have been your objective. The concept itself is interesting, at least. I like the idea of having to balance a few gauges during gameplay instead of all too familiar HP.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply