Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Wind destroys another ignorant person, Didja MISS me?

Pages: 1 2

Unknown

Posted on October 2, 2007 at 2:04:04 [Post link]

Post redacted

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 2, 2007 at 2:22:33 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by NewWindRider~
You judge the idea of corporal punishment being negative as a whole on the fact that there is evidence supporting your claim in writing, while the only evidence I, or any other person has, is hands on. But at the same time isn't experience worth more than ink?

Well, not quite. The reason I am taking the stance of negative is simply this: One cannot prove a negative. Therefore the burden of proof is on the one arguing for the positive. In this case, the debate is whether or not corporal punishment is effective (positive) or ineffective (negative).

The fact that you have failed to find a study to back up your point of view, while it does not prove that my side is the correct one, it does fail to prove that yours is.

Also personal experience would be superior to fact, if a person could objectively manage to prove that their successful upbringing was due to the corporal punishment and not to due to the countless other variables that are potentially present.

That's part of why we have science, Wind. So we can isolate variables and figure out what is responsible for what.

Quote:
As well... if it stinks like a liberal, squawks like a liberal, runs away like a liberal and looks like a hippie in a church, then it must be a liberal.

Your argument phails as hippies do not attend church.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Phatman Dover
[REDACTED]

Stream: HQ, my hat looks like a muffin, over.

NetNavi:
Atomsk.EXE
Z-license
Level: 8 [What's this?]
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 6:50:17 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mega X.exe
Your argument phails as hippies do not attend church.

Oh come on, read his statement. LOOK like hippies in a church. He didn't say they -were- hippies.

But X is right, real hippies don't attend church. I SHOULD KNOW LOL.

Reality swirled in a wholly blue manner, revealing absolutely nothing of merit. Things flashed madly in and out of existence like some entirely other sort of phenomena. On a whim, Kurt Vonnegut imploded, taking a sizeable hunk of Massachusetts with him. However, seeing as Massachusetts wasn't entirely sure it existed, the chunk wasn't all that big.

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here

Posted on October 5, 2007 at 19:05:00 [Post link]

The whole "find a study" argument is, to be blunt, complete crap. Why? Because for it to be done, you'd have to take a load of new-born babies, and carefully monitor the way they grow up. Some in isolation, others in different countries, others in different social situations, different types of school, some with corporal punishment others without and not to mention the repeat experiments; all of this just to, as you mentioned, isolate the variables to be sure whether it is the corporal punishment (or lack of) having and effect.

The whole thing would be infeasible.

All of us have experience of either corporal punishment, or not, and all of the different variables, so we must pool our own experience to act instead of a study.

Personally, I think that corporal punishment is not always right and not always wrong. Schools SHOULD NOT DO IT. I know of many malicious teachers in my history who would be very dangerous to be allowed to be in a position to hurt children.

With parents it depends on the circumstances. It's all about proportion, and reason. The child has to know what they've done wrong and why it's wrong or there'll be no point to it.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 8, 2007 at 2:24:24 [Post link]

Even if such a study were unfeasible, the fact remains that the burden of proof is on the person who says that corporal punishment is effective.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Pages: 1 2

New topic Reply