Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Portal, The best game of recent years...

Pages: 1

Nayus Dante
Superstar!

Posted on February 3, 2008 at 5:17:42 [Post link]

I finally picked up the Box of Oranges, and I have to say that Portal is a breath of fresh air. The PC market has hit rock bottom for me, being flooded with generic FPS and nothing else, save for some RTS. Anything labeled RPG is westernized, meaning no androgynous heroes or blue hair. There hasn't been a good "funny" game since the 90s, with Psychonauts coming darn close.

Portal seems like something between Myst and FPS. You have the speedy reflex element of an FPS, but the thinking element of an adventure game. The puzzles are not hard or easy, just fun. The humor isn't insanely funny, but it makes the game stand out as being that much more enjoyable to play.

Why aren't more games like this? If developers have the funds to make all this shovelware, you would think that they could make at least one good game. All that Portal did was take a neat trick and build a whole game around it. There's no profanity, no violence, just solid gameplay and a good narrative. The sad reality is that games like this just raise the bar in vain, as nobody else wants to put out the effort.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on February 3, 2008 at 16:21:09 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Nayus Dante
I finally picked up the Box of Oranges, and I have to say that Portal is a breath of fresh air. The PC market has hit rock bottom for me, being flooded with generic FPS and nothing else, save for some RTS. Anything labeled RPG is westernized, meaning no androgynous heroes or blue hair.

I'm in a similar situation: while I go play some PC games, as some recent releases have been quite fun, most of the new games seem to be awfully generic FPS games. I'm sorry, but I just can't be excited about something like Call of Duty 4. I find that to be sad, too, as I used to play far more PC games back in the late nineties.

I might try out Portal sometime. It's somewhere in my "to try" list, but isn't a priority. It looks neat, at least, and is only 20$ US on Steam (no, I don't care about the rest of the content of the Orange box).

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Ace Scope
Superstar!

Posted on February 3, 2008 at 20:11:40 [Post link]

"It should be noted that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you, and in fact, can not speak"

Just part of my reasoning to why Portal is AMAZING.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Stream: Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Posted on February 3, 2008 at 21:24:37 [Post link]

But...the cake is a lie!

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn

Stream: Blargh.
Posted on February 4, 2008 at 0:55:35 [Post link]

Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Good bye' and you were like 'No Way!' and then I was all like 'We pretended we were going to murder you'?

That was great.

Or, the poster formerly known as Pri- I mean, rockmaniskool.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 4, 2008 at 15:48:17 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Smirnoff
But...the cake is a lie!

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate
my satisfaction.
Aperture Science
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying
over every mistake.
You just keep on trying
till you run out of cake.
And the Science gets done.
And you make a neat gun.
For the people who are
still alive.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn

Stream: Blargh.
Posted on February 29, 2008 at 3:47:20 [Post link]

Speaking of people who are still alive, the guys at Valve or Harmonix (can't remember which) spilled it that 'Still Alive' will be a downloadable track for Rock Band in the future. I'll see if I can dig up that article.

Or, the poster formerly known as Pri- I mean, rockmaniskool.

Ace Scope
Superstar!

Posted on February 29, 2008 at 12:05:54 [Post link]

Portal 2 has also been announced.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply