User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Virtual PC, lololololol

Pages: 1

Ultimate X
Lead character

Stream: C:
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 22:31:55 [Post link]

Does anyone here use Virtual PC? Hahaha, it's so fun to use! I'm running and using Windows XP Prof x64 to post! I really want to use Windows 95 or 98 to surf the web, but Doc might strongly advise against that.

Oh, one more question: will it be pointless if I ran one of those Windows server OS's on Virtual PC? I mean, I'm just using a typical retail laptop, so...

Changing. Please wait...

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 1, 2010 at 3:52:43 [Post link]

Setting up Windows 95 to browse the web could be a bit tricky since it's so old, but Windows 98 should be a snap. I don't really have anything against the idea of browsing the web using those systems: at this point, they're so old that modern worms and viruses aren't compatible with them... and I'm not even kidding! Install Firefox 2.0.X (3.X doesn't support Windows 9X), and you should be on your way to run something stable and relatively modern.

At their core, the server versions of Windows share many elements with their consumer-oriented brothers, except that you get less multimedia features and more hosting-related systems. I don't see why it wouldn't run properly under Virtual PC.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Ultimate X
Lead character

Stream: C:
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 4:18:54 [Post link]

Oh cool! Because I have a Windows 95 CD sitting around here, and I think Windows 98 shouldn't be too hard to get somewhere. lol And with viruses being so modern as you said, this will be so fun! hahaha

Aah, I see. Awesome, Doc. I'm really curious about them and want to try them out, that's why I kinda asked first so I don't get myself into deep doo-doo.

Also, I now also have VirtualBox, which seems to have a bit more options than Virtual PC. I'm running 3.1 on that. XD

Changing. Please wait...

Tri-Edge
Bobo

Stream: Your FACE!!!

NetNavi:
Kuskus.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 15:59:16 [Post link]

This must mean that in 5 or 6 more years when XP is considered ancient, it will be safe to use it too.

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"
.... .hack//kyat....we miss you dearly

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 6, 2010 at 3:10:35 [Post link]

I'm not so sure in this case, it depends where we'll be. If an eventual Windows 8 uses a brand new core for it's operating system, we should be safe. If it's still in the NT line (which includes XP, Vista and 7), then many of the vulnerabilities will be shared. Windows 98 is from a completely different product line, so the potential exploits are not the same as what we get now.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply