New topic Reply

Topic: Inafune Quits Capcom

Pages: 1

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on October 29, 2010 at 12:03:02 [Post link]

I'm not sure if it belonged on the front page since it isn't specifically Mega Man news....

http://kotaku.com/5676403/mega-mans-creator-quits-capcom

He finally gets a green light for Legends 3 then ups and quits as soon as it's announced? What's going on in Capcom's offices?

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on October 29, 2010 at 15:08:40 [Post link]

Well, this is quite the unexpected development, so soon after the announcements of Mega Man Universe and Legends 3. o.o Both looked like Inafune's pet projects, after a long drought, you'd imagine that he'd be more excited to focus on those.

While I think that most Mega Man news sources focus too much on related Capcom content instead of sticking with the core of the franchise, I'd dare say that this is worth of a news post. After all, Inafune has been there for the series since early in Mega Man 1's development, over 20 years ago.

With that said, I won't especially miss him. He's done good things with the franchise, but it also feels like he hasn't been much in control of it for a decade. This could either slow down future game releases, or give a new dynamic to the series; I'm willing to take that gamble. As to guess for the real reason of this move, I'd say that, perhaps, he realized that he wouldn't get as much control as he'd like over the two upcoming titles. This would explain the odd timing of this announcement.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Arkane
Archangel

NetNavi:
Evangale.EXE
Z-license
Level: 69 [What's this?]
Posted on October 29, 2010 at 18:14:51 [Post link]

Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3 had better still be released!

It does seem awkward. Inafune seemed so enthusiastic over making MML3, and MMU is essentially a Mega Man 2 revamp, which is his favorite game in the series.

Inafune did speak about wanting to get more in touch with the western audience, since that's where the industry is booming right now.

I'm not exactly sure what Inafune's next move will be, but I hope that perhaps, as far fetched as it may seem, he moves over here, and gets a job at Capcom USA.

He maybe able to offer some more of his desired creativity and learn some new things here then in the Japanese gaming industry, which he has worked too long in.

Edited by Arkane on October 29, 2010 at 18:20:00.

Nayus Dante
Superstar!

Posted on October 30, 2010 at 5:56:27 [Post link]

Honestly, I don't blame him.

As far as I can tell, Mega Man is over. Unless Capcom puts some creative visionary in charge of story continuity, we're going to be getting nothing but occasional spin-offs and one-shots.

It would be nice if Inafune can negotiate the rights to use the characters and story in original works. I've been reading Pluto, which reworks Astro Boy into a very unique and thought-out story, and I would love to see something similar done with Mega Man. Of course, that's probably not likely...

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit

Stream: I can fix it!

NetNavi:
Cookie.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on October 30, 2010 at 20:26:04 [Post link]

I'm worried about Megaman Legends 3. This guy was involved with many great Capcom games, especially in the Playstation era. It's sure a big change in management. But, no one can stop a guy from following his heart. I hope in whatever he does next, it turns out great for him.

Blink
Commander

Stream: MEDIC!
Posted on October 30, 2010 at 21:48:34 [Post link]

I'm sure Mega Man Legends 3 will still be great; only time will tell.

I know Battle Network 7 will never happen, but I've always had a small hope. This pretty much seals the deal unfortunately.

What makes me a good Demoman?
If I were a bad Demoman, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I? Image

Arkane
Archangel

NetNavi:
Evangale.EXE
Z-license
Level: 69 [What's this?]
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 17:34:45 [Post link]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847

A bunch more on Inafune's retirement from Capcom. I've only read a portion of it.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 22:29:09 [Post link]

tl;dr.

There's a gem here: "KI: That's absolutely right. So told Capcom that I'm leaving to start my own company, while still contracting with them, continuing with titles already underway and follow through with their plans. If that was acceptable, I wouldn't be able to work with any other publishers, but I'd have been able to finish what I'd started. However, that wasn't possible. I was told, "That won't be necessary.""

Or, the short version:
Inafune: Hey, I'll help you with the ongoing projects.
Capcom: No thanks.

They might be painting it as a quiet departure, and it likely is in some ways, but I'd bet that the relationship had been strained for some time. This goes to show that Inafune, as an individual, cares about his staff and the fans: he was ready to stick around to tie up some loose ends. Ultimately, the company decided to do without his help. This only reinforces the feeling I wrote about earlier: "it also feels like he hasn't been much in control of it for a decade" Even now, at the end, he's being pushed aside.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on November 22, 2010 at 15:58:23 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
tl;dr.

There's a gem here: "KI: That's absolutely right. So told Capcom that I'm leaving to start my own company, while still contracting with them, continuing with titles already underway and follow through with their plans. If that was acceptable, I wouldn't be able to work with any other publishers, but I'd have been able to finish what I'd started. However, that wasn't possible. I was told, "That won't be necessary.""

Or, the short version:
Inafune: Hey, I'll help you with the ongoing projects.
Capcom: No thanks.

They might be painting it as a quiet departure, and it likely is in some ways, but I'd bet that the relationship had been strained for some time. This goes to show that Inafune, as an individual, cares about his staff and the fans: he was ready to stick around to tie up some loose ends. Ultimately, the company decided to do without his help. This only reinforces the feeling I wrote about earlier: "it also feels like he hasn't been much in control of it for a decade" Even now, at the end, he's being pushed aside.

That is not good.
Megaman probably won't stay alive
much longer unless Capcom finds a way to make a new series, sf4, or
just stays with singles and spinoffs...

OR, if Inafune creates megaman-esque games with different characters, that'd be interesting...

Sage
News reporter
All Business.

Stream: You know, I miss a lot of you.

NetNavi:
UgandaKnuckles.EXE
Z-license
Level: 10 [What's this?]
Posted on February 5, 2011 at 6:27:05 [Post link]

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Tri-Edge
Bobo

Stream: Your FACE!!!

NetNavi:
Kuskus.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on March 21, 2011 at 10:02:30 [Post link]

He shall be missed. :/ This is kind of sad, its sort of like watching Megaman himself facing you, tells you goodbye, and then turns around and walks out the door.

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"
.... .hack//kyat....we miss you dearly

Pages: 1

New topic Reply