Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
ring man77
Ninja of the dust particle
Emi Ibarazaki
Emi Ibarazaki
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Shizune Hakamichi
Shizune Hakamichi
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Hisao Nakai
Hisao Nakai
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 2 April 2012

... and 16 more

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/224-critics-camera-issues-plague-epic-mickey

Havent played it yet but after reading this i'm still gonna buy it.

So anyways this is the Epic mickey topic so talk about it.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Teej's been awfully quiet lately, my bet is that he's been playing this game all day long for the past two weeks. :)

It's a bit surprising to still see so many games having camera issues in 2010. It's been 14 years since Super Mario 64's debut, one would expect this kind of details to be dealt with, especially from high-profile titles.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals
Inactive
2437 posts
Caprice
Caprice
Become Dr. Cossack's waifu
Acquired on 20 April 2012
Rin Tezuka
Rin Tezuka
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Engineer
Engineer
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Spy
Spy
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Soldier
Soldier
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 22 more

Epic Mickey is an interesting beast in that it really is the first ever "love it or hate it" game. The camera is the only REAL issue- and even then it's not so much that it's BAD, it's just that it's hard to control.

The game itself is interesting in the sense that it's one of the first platformers where story takes a front seat. I've soft-reset the game because I accidently helped Pete put one of Oswald's kids in jail (They'll surround and follow you, walking past the town hall on Mean Street will suck them in automatically) and Oswald was really disappointed and said something along the lines of "I guess I was wrong about you....wouldn't be the first time." After previous encounters with him, this will BREAK YOUR HEART as a Disney fan, and at the very least tug on your heart strings as a player. Soft resetting. For the story. In a platformer.

The gameplay itself feels like the physics and dark humor of Psychonauts mixed with the collect-a-thon that is Banjo Kazooie. Like all platformers, Mickey DOES control a bit different, and does take some time to get used to. After the initial tutorial, it becomes second nature and the problem is gone. The paint/ thinner is interesting. It's a novel concept, and is sometimes put to good use in the over worlds, but most of the time it's just "Save this guy, or take the treasure chest." There are some real moments where the system shines however, ESPECIALLY during the boss battles. Animatronic Captain Hook is a fairly early boss, and you can either opt to engage him directly using thinner and your spin move, or decide to climb his ship using platforming as well as a mix of paint and thinner. As expected, the moral choices a player can make are usually black/ white when it comes to using paint or thinner (paint usually being good, while thinner being bad) but those good/ evil choices do have the potential to spiral as time goes on. The first real moral choice has you retrieving a ship log for Peg Leg Pete after he accidentally crashed his ship into Gremlin Village. You can either return it to him, or you can hand it over to a Gremlin. Pete has always been a jerk in Disney lore, while Gremlins play the role of assistants and friends in Epic Mickey, so giving it to the nicer of the two seems to be the better option. Turning the log book over to Pete allows him to prove the crash was an accident, become friends with the Gremlins and rebuild the village. Conversely, giving it to the Gremlin will get you a collectible "pin" (which are really just achievements) while also banishing Pete from the village. The black/ white choices become gray really quick, and that only adds to the novelty of the paint and thinner.

Really, there's nothing wrong with the game sans camera. If you love Disney and platformers, there's absolutely ZERO reason not to pick it up. If a reviewer isn't as tied to these interests, the game isn't going to do as well. Gamespot gave the game a 6.0. Watching the video review, it was obvious that the reviewer had no love for platforming, Disney, and maybe even the Wii itself (I had friends who weren't interested in the game watch it to make sure I wasn't bias) and as such that's going to bring average review scores down. On the other hand, you have G4 reviewing it, giving it a perfect score, ending the review with "Walt would have loved it." The love was there, and so was the bias.

So, long story short: Great game, reviews all saying the same things (both compliments and complaints) but swinging around wildly due to bias.

EDIT: PS Doc, only arrived in the states yesterday. :V

EDIT EDIT: Oh right, and I HAVE to say: Oswald? Yeah, my favorite Disney character. They did so much with his personality. He's a versatile, interesting character who really cares for the characters in Wasteland but isn't afraid to show distaste towards certain characters (IE Mickey). I've been at it and got him to warm up to me a bit. He'll talk with me, but the second I turn my back he's making faces. When I turn around, he's whistling innocently. Such a fun character, I'd love to see him become relevant to Disney again.

Edited by Teej on December 2, 2010 at 1:45:55.

Sakura
Aqua-cadet
Inactive
1027 posts

I always thought the title of this game was really funny, EPIC Mickey. Some of my friends think it's lame but I would love to play it. Always been a fan of Platform games and Disney, so once I have money again I may seek it out.

Even if a game has camera issues, I never really complain about it. Just a minor set back, I don't think I ever played a game where it was too much to deal with.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Here's a funny comic I found this morning related to this game. I laughed so much over it, I hope you'll enjoy it too. :D

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Daveris
Forum Poster
Inactive
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Sniper
Sniper
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Medic
Medic
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Spy
Spy
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 18 more

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Here's a http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/?p=1813]
I found this morning related to this game. I laughed so much over it, I hope you'll enjoy it too. :D

Same reaction.

Gotta love those expressions at the end.

Hao
Fear Factory
Inactive
1268 posts

Thought it was pretty disappointing... just like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Other M and Sonic Colors... it's not really the games, it's probably me. I'm getting old so nothing really impresses me anymore and I also can't stand any of the control methods the Wii uses. Sideways NES style drives me crazy. I feel like I'm holding a fat chocolate candy bar instead of a game controller. And the usual controls make me feel like I'm holding two candy bars! Except it didn't bother me in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2... but that's because the motion controls for that game wasn't bad.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

It sounds like you should get your hands on the Classic Controller for the games that support it. It gives you a more traditional shape to hold.

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet
Inactive
1476 posts

Yeah, the new classic controller for the Wii is pretty boss. Feels like a PS2 controller.