Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on December 24, 2010 at 17:30:41 [Post link]

Who doesn't like the movie Avatar, with its amazing CGI and semi-awesome story about a planet called Pandora?

Well, the entire plot was copied from a TV show- Dinotopia.

As I was watching the sci-fi channel, I realized that ALMOST EVERY SINGLE PLOT ELEMENT of Avatar came from this show. It has the flying creatures, the "evil dudes taking over an area to build something", the guy from the dark side learning from the natives, the native woman falling in love, the hostile native acting harshly toward this guy... Avatar is just a copy of this on a different planet...

I was... nonplussed.

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on December 24, 2010 at 18:38:59 [Post link]

I had already seen Avatar when it was called the Last Samurai.. I mean Pocahontas.. I mean Dances with Wolves, damnit!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on December 25, 2010 at 3:17:01 [Post link]

Some even had fun comparing it to Star Wars. The plot is not that original, but that's not why I went to see the movie. :)

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on December 25, 2010 at 4:40:01 [Post link]

I miss the days where people could go to a movie and be entertained, instead of finding reasons to blam it or pick it apart.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

Daveris
Forum Poster

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on December 26, 2010 at 3:49:44 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by RisingDragon
I miss the days where people could go to a movie and be entertained, instead of finding reasons to blam it or pick it apart.

Hm.

Anyway, Avatar DID have its plot taken from sources which made it VERY unoriginal. So I guess I am picking it apart, and blasting it.
Or, I am commenting on the fact that its story was unoriginal. Your call.
However, when you blam ME for blamming a movie instead of just ignoring what you percieved to be a "blam", that does say something .

BTW- Avatar WAS a good movie, good enough for me to see it 2x.
and if the plot was original, well with that movie, the plot was 40% of the storu, and even while unoriginal, the original that had the plot was good, and then for having the plot, and modifying it, Avatar gained a good plotline, and a base.
So yes, it is unoriginal, but before you start blamming me, unoriginal plots can still be good.

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on December 26, 2010 at 10:53:21 [Post link]

There's a problem with focusing on the originality of a product when you realize every story that can be told pretty much already has been.

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on December 27, 2010 at 9:37:04 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Necro
There's a problem with focusing on the originality of a product when you realize every story that can be told pretty much already has been.

Or at least every story that can be told can be constructed from parts of stories that have already been.

Which doesn't really make the case any better.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

smokehound
Servbot

Posted on December 29, 2010 at 16:12:40 [Post link]

The part that made me crack up, was when that one guy goes: "They're just trees."

ROFL

Like, that scene is supposed to repulse you, but for some reason I couldn't stop laughing.

This movie has pretty special-effects, but man was it sappy. I'm into nice touching stories, but geesh!

Hardman
Dragoon Paladin

Stream: I'm back. And I'm serious.
Posted on February 5, 2011 at 18:14:40 [Post link]

Yeah, I didn't like it when I saw it in theater.

But now? I hate it. It's a piece of over-stylized,over-rated crap. To all the people who worked on this, I feel sorry that they wasted at least 10 years of their lives creating this tired mess.

The story is this:

"A man gets a second chance at life. Gets wrapped up in a plot to move the Indians to obtain a rock (Never mentioned later). Falls in love with chief's daughter, who's mom is the religious leader, and is already engaged. Jealous arguments ensue. Man get swayed to help the Indians. Gruff General wages war, kills father. Enlightenment happens. Final battle begins, with boyfriend forgiving the man, but dies. Gruff general dies, and man gets girl."

And they're making a sequel! Why do the hell do they think they do better?

Sorry, just wanted to voice my opinion. But God, I hate this film!

Yes, THAT Hardman. This is the new and improved one.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 6, 2011 at 10:24:54 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardman
Yeah, I didn't like it when I saw it in theater.

But now? I hate it. It's a piece of over-stylized,over-rated crap. To all the people who worked on this, I feel sorry that they wasted at least 10 years of their lives creating this tired mess.

The story is this:

"A man gets a second chance at life. Gets wrapped up in a plot to move the Indians to obtain a rock (Never mentioned later). Falls in love with chief's daughter, who's mom is the religious leader, and is already engaged. Jealous arguments ensue. Man get swayed to help the Indians. Gruff General wages war, kills father. Enlightenment happens. Final battle begins, with boyfriend forgiving the man, but dies. Gruff general dies, and man gets girl."

And they're making a sequel! Why do the hell do they think they do better?

Sorry, just wanted to voice my opinion. But God, I hate this film!

Yeah, I'm sure everyone feels so horrible that the movie totally demolished the box office and was critically acclaimed. Let's all feel pity for the writers who are no doubt pleased at their success.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I find consumers to be the most obnoxious group of all.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Hardman
Dragoon Paladin

Posted on February 7, 2011 at 19:17:26 [Post link]

Listen..I'm trashing this movie because it is completely unoriginal. Yes, it broke records, but THAT DOESN'T MAKE A MOVIE GOOD. Yes, the writers probably enjoy working on this film, but I feel sorry for them regardless.

Yes, people gave it good reviews, but I have my own opinion. It's not going to last, they're making a sequel.

If the sequel is good, people will forget the first.

If the sequel is bad, people will drop the entire series.

And you're a consumer, too , Mega X.exe. Did you buy the ticket or buy the movie?

Edited by Hardman on February 7, 2011 at 13:17:54

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 9, 2011 at 0:22:20 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardman
Listen..I'm trashing this movie because it is completely unoriginal. Yes, it broke records, but THAT DOESN'T MAKE A MOVIE GOOD. Yes, the writers probably enjoy working on this film, but I feel sorry for them regardless.

Nothing is original. Not really.

Quote:
Yes, people gave it good reviews, but I have my own opinion.

Yes, we can see that.

Quote:
It's not going to last, they're making a sequel.

If the sequel is good, people will forget the first.

If the sequel is bad, people will drop the entire series.

These claims don't logically follow.

Quote:
And you're a consumer, too , Mega X.exe. Did you buy the ticket or buy the movie?

I bought the ticket. I generally don't go around buying DVDs on my limited budget, and there's quite a few higher on my list that I'd buy first anyway.

EDIT: I see what you're getting at. When I said "consumers" I didn't mean every single person in that group (which should have been obvious, frankly) but that by-and-large it is people from that group that comprise the worst aspect of any example of media.

Edited by Mega X.exe on February 8, 2011 at 17:24:05

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Daveris
Forum Poster

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on February 15, 2011 at 2:30:50 [Post link]

EDIT: I see what you're getting at. When I said "consumers" I didn't mean every single person in that group (which should have been obvious, frankly) but that by-and-large it is people from that group that comprise the worst aspect of any example of media.

Edited by Mega X.exe on February 8, 2011 at 17:24:05[/quote]

What exactly are "people from that group that comprise the worst aspect of any example of media"

Give example, please.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 15, 2011 at 6:15:41 [Post link]

Quote:
Give example, please.

Easy. What's the worst thing about the Fallout series? Its fanbase.

QED.

Edited by Mega X.exe on February 14, 2011 at 23:15:55

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Daveris
Forum Poster

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on February 19, 2011 at 20:51:25 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mega X.exe
Quote:
Give example, please.

Easy. What's the worst thing about the Fallout series? Its fanbase.

QED.

Edited by Mega X.exe on February 14, 2011 at 23:15:55

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=34542

Ah. good example, although I needed ^^^ to understand.

Hardman
Dragoon Paladin

Posted on February 19, 2011 at 22:01:13 [Post link]

Okay, okay, sorry. But I honestly felt I wasted my money. I paid 30 dollars (Ticket, pizza and drink) for this movie, and I preferred the greasy pizza to be the better show.

For some reason, this felt like a Ratchet and Clank game. Is that weird?

Pages: 1

New topic Reply