Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Japan Earthquake 2011: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 30-Foot Tsunami Triggered

Pages: 1

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 4:38:04 [Post link]

I am watching TV Tokyo and NHK because I somewhat understand the Japanese language.

My heart goes out to Japan right now, many people say they are "used" to this type of disaster, but definatly NOT to this extent. It is really annoying that some people believe it's "not that big of a deal" because they feel things like this happen in Japan all the time.

Right now I am on Spring Break and my Japanese teacher did not go back to Japan but her family and friends live there and I have read below to an earthquake hit Kobe, which is where her family is from. I feel terrible and hope her family and friends are safe.

I also have a few exchange student friends who are back home in Japan and friends I made while I was there, I hope they are all safe.

Hope everyone then realizes this will have a major effect on us as well, not only because the earthquake will hit us but also because we and Japan share strong ties to eachother.

Here is the map of the direction of the earthquake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12715415

I hope everyone's friends and families are safe and hopefully the quake won't hit us nearly as bad.

TOKYO -- A ferocious tsunami spawned by one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded slammed Japan's eastern coast Friday, killing hundreds of people as it swept away boats, cars and homes while widespread fires burned out of control.

Hours later, the tsunami hit Hawaii and warnings blanketed the Pacific, putting areas on alert as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast. In Japan, the area around a nuclear power plant in the northeast was evacuated after the reactor's cooling system failed.

(SCROLL DOWN FOR THE LATEST UPDATES)

Police said 200 to 300 bodies were found in the northeastern coastal city of Sendai, the city in Miyagi prefecture (state) closest to the quake's epicenter. Another 88 were confirmed killed and at least 349 were missing. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of the disaster.

The magnitude-8.9 offshore quake unleashed a 23-foot (seven-meter) tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0.

Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile (2,100-kilometer) stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles (kilometers) from the epicenter. A large section of Kesennuma, a town of 70,000 people in Miyagi, burned furiously into the night with no apparent hope of the flames being extinguished, public broadcaster NHK said.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.
Story continues below
Advertisement

The government ordered thousands of residents near a nuclear power plant in Onahama city to move back at least two miles (three kilometers) from the plant. The reactor was not leaking radiation but its core remained hot even after a shutdown. The plant is 170 miles (270 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.

Trouble was reported at two other nuclear plants as well, but there was no radiation leak at either.

Japan's coast guard said it was searching for 80 dock workers working on a ship that was swept away from a shipyard in Miyagi.

Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions because of the tsunami that crashed ashore, swallowing everything in its path as it surged several miles (kilometers) inland before retreating. The apocalyptic images of surging water and uncontrolled conflagrations broadcast by Japanese TV networks resembled scenes from a Hollywood disaster movie.

Large fishing boats and other sea vessels rode high waves into the cities, slamming against overpasses or scraping under them and snapping power lines along the way. Upturned and partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water. Ships anchored in ports crashed against each other.

The tsunami roared over embankments, washing anything in its path inland before reversing directions and carrying the cars, homes and other debris out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.

Waves of muddy waters flowed over farmland near Sendai, carrying buildings, some on fire, inland as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport was inundated with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways.

The highways to the worst-hit coastal areas were buckled and communications, including telephone lines, were snapped. Train services in northeastern Japan and in Tokyo, which normally serve 10 million people a day, were also suspended, leaving untold numbers stranded in stations or roaming the streets. Tokyo's Narita airport was closed indefinitely.

Jesse Johnson, a native of the U.S. state of Nevada who lives in Chiba, north of Tokyo, was eating at a sushi restaurant with his wife when the quake hit.

"At first it didn't feel unusual, but then it went on and on. So I got myself and my wife under the table," he told The Associated Press. "I've lived in Japan for 10 years, and I've never felt anything like this before. The aftershocks keep coming. It's gotten to the point where I don't know whether it's me shaking or an earthquake."

NHK said more than 4 million buildings were without power in Tokyo and its suburbs.

As night fell, the streets were jammed with cars, buses and trucks trying to get around and out of the city. Pedestrians swarmed the sidewalks to walk home, or at least find a warm place to spend the night as the temperatures dropped.

Tomoko Suzuki and her elderly mother stood on a crowded corner in central Tokyo, unable to get up to their 29th-floor condominium because the elevator wasn't working. They unsuccessfully tried to hail a taxi to go to a relative's house. They called around to dozens of hotels, but they were full.

"We are so cold," said Suzuki. "We really don't know what to do."

A large fire erupted at the Cosmo oil refinery in Ichihara city in Chiba prefecture and burned out of control with 100-foot (30 meter) -high flames whipping into the sky.

"Our initial assessment indicates that there has already been enormous damage," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said. "We will make maximum relief effort based on that assessment."

He said the Defense Ministry was sending troops to the quake-hit region. A utility aircraft and several helicopters were on the way.

Also in Miyagi, a fire broke out in a turbine building of a nuclear power plant, but it was later extinguished, said Tohoku Electric Power Co. the company said.

A reactor area of a nearby plant was leaking water, the company said. But it was unclear if the leak was caused by tsunami water or something else. There were no reports of radioactive leaks at any of Japan's nuclear plants.

Jefferies International Limited, a global investment banking group, said it estimated overall losses to be about $10 billion.

Hiroshi Sato, a disaster management official in northern Iwate prefecture, said officials were having trouble getting an overall picture of the destruction.

"We don't even know the extent of damage. Roads were badly damaged and cut off as tsunami washed away debris, cars and many other things," he said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2:46 p.m. quake was a magnitude 8.9, the biggest earthquake to hit Japan since officials began keeping records in the late 1800s, and one of the biggest ever recorded in the world.

The quake struck at a depth of six miles (10 kilometers), about 80 miles (125 kilometers) off the eastern coast, the agency said. The area is 240 miles (380 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo. Several quakes had hit the same region in recent days, including a 7.3 magnitude one on Wednesday that caused no damage.

A tsunami warning was extended to a number of areas in the Pacific, Southeast Asian and Latin American nations, including Japan, Russia, Indonesia, New Zealand and Chile. In the Philippines, authorities ordered an evacuation of coastal communities, but no unusual waves were reported.

Thousands of people fled their homes in Indonesia after officials warned of a tsunami up to 6 feet (2 meters) high. But waves of only 4 inches (10 centimeters) were measured. No big waves came to the Northern Mariana Islands, a U.S. territory, either.

The first waves hit Hawaii about 9 a.m. EST (1400 GMT) Friday. A tsunami at least 3 feet (a meter) high were recorded on Oahu and Kauai, and officials warned that the waves would continue and could become larger.

Japan's worst previous quake was in 1923 in Kanto, an 8.3-magnitude temblor that killed 143,000 people, according to USGS. A 7.2-magnitude quake in Kobe city in 1996 killed 6,400 people.

Japan lies on the "Ring of Fire" - an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones stretching around the Pacific where about 90 percent of the world's quakes occur, including the one that triggered the Dec. 26, 2004, Indian Ocean tsunami that killed an estimated 230,000 people in 12 nations. A magnitude-8.8 temblor that shook central Chile last February also generated a tsunami and killed 524 people.

___

Associated Press writers Jay Alabaster, Mari Yamaguchi, Tomoko A. Hosaka and Yuri Kageyama contributed to this report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/11/japan-earthquake-tsunami_n_834380.html

Edited by Sakura on March 11, 2011 at 23:39:37

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 16:26:13 [Post link]

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 21:05:30 [Post link]

Yes, an 8.9 is almost a 9, and 9 is semi-apocalypse///

Truly horrible that it ended up happening...

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 23:38:21 [Post link]

I was watching the news and looking it up, they have had a few aftershocks and those aftershocks are big earthquakes all by themselves.
I also know they are worse because they happen when the ground has already been all shaken up.

Some people at my mom's work were saying that Japan deserves no help because they gave little aid during Hurricane Katrina.
Yeah, the hurricane was bad but it wasn't MASSIVE. These earthquakes are affecting almost the whole entire country. I swear, some people.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 14:54:49 [Post link]

Still following this, the nuclear power plant situation is not looking too pretty either. This is no Chernobyl-grade event, of course, but it's still major considering that most of these installations are highly monitored and secured. There are limits to what any building can sustain, no matter what you do, and that limit might have been reached here.

Just to highlight how the destruction is localized but it's effects are being felt across the country, Final Fantasy XI and XIV (MMORPGs) are being taken offline until the situation's more stable in an attempt to save some electricity.

Edited by Dr. Cossack on March 13, 2011 at 11:02:45

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet

Stream: Games of the moment: Gundam EXVS and TF: FoC

NetNavi:
SPTLayzner.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 15:25:12 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakura
I was watching the news and looking it up, they have had a few aftershocks and those aftershocks are big earthquakes all by themselves.
I also know they are worse because they happen when the ground has already been all shaken up.

Some people at my mom's work were saying that Japan deserves no help because they gave little aid during Hurricane Katrina.
Yeah, the hurricane was bad but it wasn't MASSIVE. These earthquakes are affecting almost the whole entire country. I swear, some people.

Some idiots are saying how the earthquake is payback for Pearl Harbor. So yeah, just ignore those comments. There are worse people out there...

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 16:10:47 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
This is a big deal, despite what some people might be saying: a 8.9 Magnitude earthquake is among the strongest we've ever recorded, and it hit close to ground too.

Considering it is the fifth biggest earthquake since 1900, yeah, it is a big deal. One can only hope the tsunamis won't affect the other countries as much.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 16:28:06 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by SPT Layzner
Quote:
Originally posted by Sakura

Some idiots are saying how the earthquake is payback for Pearl Harbor. So yeah, just ignore those comments. There are worse people out there...

Besides, I'd argue that Japan already got it's payback for that in 1945... Idiots are everywhere. Just don't let them get to you.

Sage
News reporter
All Business.

Stream: You know, I miss a lot of you.

NetNavi:
UgandaKnuckles.EXE
Z-license
Level: 10 [What's this?]
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 17:56:33 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Morphman
Quote:
This is a big deal, despite what some people might be saying: a 8.9 Magnitude earthquake is among the strongest we've ever recorded, and it hit close to ground too.

Considering it is the fifth biggest earthquake since 1900, yeah, it is a big deal. One can only hope the tsunamis won't affect the other countries as much.

Not only that, it's the biggest one since the 'big tremors' started happening in 2004 starting with the Indonesia one.

On the Nuclear Plant issue, it is now from 1 plant to 3, with one plant suffering a hydrogen explosion and minor leakage from the steam release they had to do.

Suffice to say, they are trying, but they do not have it under control, they're trying to downplay the incident so much.

They're now saying a partial meltdown is possible if they can't contain/control it.

Edit: On top of all of this, the Nuclear Program is now under scrutiny. In my opinion, I'm all for it. It's cleaner and safer when under controlled environments with robust safety systems, and with further improvements will be 10 maybe 20x better than anything we use now, it's cheaper than solar and wind, but at a high cost. Our environment if something goes wrong.

Edit 2: They updated the earthquake to a 9.0, making it the second largest since the Indonesia Ocean 9.1. The aftershock was upgraded from a 7.1 to a 7.4.

On top of all this, four reactors from the fukushima plant are having issues, Reactor One is being pumped full of seawater, last ditch effort, Reactor Two is having coolant issues, Reactor Three suffered a partial melt-down, the control rods were exposed to the air and overheated instantaneously, Reactor 4 is having pump issues.

The other Nuclear Plant is leaking excessive radiation, it's the one that got fire, and they're not sure where it's coming from.

Shame on Japan for building them so close to the Ocean, and near such a huge fault line.

Edited by Dr. Light on March 13, 2011 at 12:57:47

Edited by Dr. Light on March 13, 2011 at 16:14:22

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 1:38:00 [Post link]

Quote:
Shame on Japan for building them so close to the Ocean, and near such a huge fault line.

Can't really blame them for that, considering it is hard to find a good spot away from large cities on good terrain that isn't close to either of those. Plus, no matter where they'd build it in the country, earthquakes would always be a danger.

In the middle of a large landmass is prettymuch the only safe place for them, like Russia or northern/central Europe, or in the middle of Africa.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 3:37:36 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Morphman
Quote:

Can't really blame them for that, considering it is hard to find a good spot away from large cities on good terrain that isn't close to either of those. Plus, no matter where they'd build it in the country, earthquakes would always be a danger.

Exactly. The entire country, by it's shape and location, is close to both the ocean and multiple fault lines. The engineers have no doubt made several additions in the design to adapt to these flaws, but you just can't plan for a 9.0 event that might only happen once every 1000 years. That's called calculated risk, and happens in pretty much all constructions.

As I've said to people around me, had such an earthquake happened anywhere close to here, we'd have seen a lot more destruction. A tsunami wouldn't have occured, obviously, but a lot more building would have gone down due to either the main quake or all the aftershocks.

Packard
Was ist das?

Stream: For Worse....Even Nobody Disses Zelda...
Posted on March 21, 2011 at 2:12:14 [Post link]

Hey guys. More reports from the land o' rising sun. At least I'm glad I'm still alive. We're having blackouts within and near the Tokyo area everyday, depending on demand for electricity, and how much of it is left. And thanks to the blackouts, the local hospitals and traffic lights are even affected. Apparently, there's no emergency power for them, meaning that may lead to even more deaths in worst cases. Food and other necessities are sold out in most stores nearby because people get paranoid and try to stock up on them. Ironically, that's what causes shortages and causes more paranoia! You even have to line up for hours to get your car filled up at the local gas stands.

Luckily, I was in the Osaka area and wasn't affected by the earthquake and the aftermath. I wasn't surprised to see supplies running low over here to be allocated to the affected areas.

But since I'm going back to Tokyo today, I may get frustrated that my local grocery may not have bread or Cap'n Crunch ( actually, they don't sell that shit here, but something close to it :) ) or gas to run my bike. But considering that situations are much worst in the North, and millions of people in Tokyo are also in the same boat as me, I should at least feel thankful and not paranoid just most of the mentally weak bastards.

Oh no, oh no! An earthquake!!! What should I do!!!

I met a nice couple from Sendai during my trip to Italy a couple of months ago. I just can't help but keep wonderng how they're doing.

The capitalism of my thoughts................... Nostalgia, anyone!? Ah, never mind.......You're better off not knowing.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 21, 2011 at 3:13:57 [Post link]

I was wondering if you'd show up here. :) I saw that you posted on mixi, and a crappy machine translation showed me that you were fine so I didn't bug you further. Good for you that you didn't happen to be on a trip somewhere up North!

My employer has an office in Tokyo, and we learned last week that, due to the rolling blackouts, the people will be relocated temporarily around the world. I don't know yet if anyone from the group will land in my office (I doubt it), but it goes to show how far the situation has changed.

Sage
News reporter
All Business.

Stream: You know, I miss a lot of you.

NetNavi:
UgandaKnuckles.EXE
Z-license
Level: 10 [What's this?]
Posted on March 21, 2011 at 6:16:00 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Packard
Hey guys. More reports from the land o' rising sun. At least I'm glad I'm still alive. We're having blackouts within and near the Tokyo area everyday, depending on demand for electricity, and how much of it is left. And thanks to the blackouts, the local hospitals and traffic lights are even affected. Apparently, there's no emergency power for them, meaning that may lead to even more deaths in worst cases. Food and other necessities are sold out in most stores nearby because people get paranoid and try to stock up on them. Ironically, that's what causes shortages and causes more paranoia! You even have to line up for hours to get your car filled up at the local gas stands.

Luckily, I was in the Osaka area and wasn't affected by the earthquake and the aftermath. I wasn't surprised to see supplies running low over here to be allocated to the affected areas.

But since I'm going back to Tokyo today, I may get frustrated that my local grocery may not have bread or Cap'n Crunch ( actually, they don't sell that shit here, but something close to it :) ) or gas to run my bike. But considering that situations are much worst in the North, and millions of people in Tokyo are also in the same boat as me, I should at least feel thankful and not paranoid just most of the mentally weak bastards.

Oh no, oh no! An earthquake!!! What should I do!!!

I met a nice couple from Sendai during my trip to Italy a couple of months ago. I just can't help but keep wonderng how they're doing.

Did you buy a Geiger meter too?

Edit; though it is good to see you're doing well.

Edited by Dr. Light on March 21, 2011 at 1:16:26

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Packard
Was ist das?

Posted on March 21, 2011 at 13:53:23 [Post link]

Hi Doctor Comsack:P
You know you shouldn't use onrine tlansration software, as they don't give you the proper translations!
Thanks to the radiation reaching Tokyo, all foreigners are advised to get the hell out or move farther west or south. I didn't know you had a branch in Japan. I bet your colleagues were munching on sushi everyday. But I guess now that's out of the question:P

Quote:
I was wondering if you'd show up here. :) I saw that you posted on mixi, and a crappy machine translation showed me that you were fine so I didn't bug you further. Good for you that you didn't happen to be on a trip somewhere up North!

My employer has an office in Tokyo, and we learned last week that, due to the rolling blackouts, the people will be relocated temporarily around the world. I don't know yet if anyone from the group will land in my office (I doubt it), but it goes to show how far the situation has changed.

The capitalism of my thoughts................... Nostalgia, anyone!? Ah, never mind.......You're better off not knowing.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 21, 2011 at 17:29:41 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Packard
You know you shouldn't use onrine tlansration software, as they don't give you the proper translations!

I know, I'm one of those who often complain against their use. My point is that it did allow me to get a rough idea of what you wrote about, even if the details were jumbled. I'll let you know once I get the chance to follow some Japanese lessons so I know more than a few words. ;)

Quote:
I bet your colleagues were munching on sushi everyday.

Actually, one of my coworkers used to be at the head of the Japan office, and he did mention several times how much he enjoyed the sushi over there, so you're probably right!

Edited by Dr. Cossack on March 21, 2011 at 13:30:28

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Michael Jackson Hat Fluttershy Derpy Hooves ... and 20 more

NetNavi:
KARATE003号.EXE
Z-license
Level: 17 [What's this?]
Posted on April 7, 2011 at 20:33:54 [Post link]

Did you guys see that there was another massive earthquake off the coast of Japan today? Not near as big as before, but still pretty big. I haven't kept up with everything that's been going on, but it seems like Honshu isn't getting any breaks from mother nature.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on April 8, 2011 at 1:35:20 [Post link]

Japan gets earthquakes all the time, so it isn't too surprising. Coincidence has it that this one also happened near Sendai. Thankfully, it was deeper underwater so it didn't cause any major damage. That much power, if located inland, would've been in the same category as the devastating Kobe earthquake of 1995.

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Michael Jackson Hat Fluttershy Derpy Hooves ... and 20 more

NetNavi:
KARATE003号.EXE
Z-license
Posted on April 8, 2011 at 1:43:57 [Post link]

What I heard they were still expecting tsunamis, but I guess they should have hit by now eh?

Packard
Was ist das?

Posted on April 16, 2011 at 13:28:17 [Post link]

This must be the kobun-kun I haven't seen in quite a while. How ya doing, Josh? *hugs*
Yeah, when we get a major quake, we're most likely to get minor ones occuring frequently after it. We're told it may last a couple more months. But of course it shouldn't be as great as the one that hit us in 3/11.

And thanks to radiation threats, I heard you guys won't be getting vgs from us.

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official

NetNavi:
KARATE003号.EXE
Z-license
Posted on April 16, 2011 at 20:01:43 [Post link]

I'm doing well, my friend! I'm glad to hear you're okay after everything that's going on. Stay safe brother!

Pages: 1

New topic Reply