Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: RPG selection, Which are worth it, which to avoid?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on March 19, 2012 at 17:51:53 [Post link]

This is kind of a follow-up to my Final Fantasy topic.

I haven't played a good console JRPG for a while, and I'm looking at my current options.

I wrote in the earlier topic that I was somehow tempted to play Final Fantasy XIII-2, but I wasn't sure if it would hold up well. I suddendly had a flash from an era mostly gone by now: game demos! I loaded up the Playstation Store, and sure enough, a trial version of the game was available! A quick download later (almost 2 GB o.o), I was able to play through a scenario from the game. It handles quite well, I must say. The series definitely evolved since the last FF I played, but I could still recognize some elements. Battles are fun, and the quick Paradigm Shift system does a great job to allow one to change strategies at any time without needing to assign specific actions for each character. The demo area wasn't as linear as I was fearing, which was one of my main concerns with the game.

Moving on, there are two other games that I'm also considering: Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. These have been a long time coming, and they're apparently some of the best titles in their category released this generation. They were both scheduled to take a pass on North America, but repeated fan requests finally turned things around. Nintendo will be taking care of Xenoblade, while XSeed will be the force behind The Last Story. Buying one (or both) of the games would not only leave me with something probably enjoyable to play, but also send the signal to the publishers that we want more great games released around here.

So, which of the above should I go with? Do you have recommendations? Or perhaps you'd like to ask questions of your own? Let's use this topic to talk about those Japanese RPGs that so many of us played over the years!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on March 19, 2012 at 18:17:28 [Post link]

I'd recommend the Lunar series--either the originals on the SegaCD (you'd probably have to emulate those) or the PSX's COMPLETE remakes. The PSP remake is also pretty good.

Star Ocean 3 is the only Star Ocean game I've played, but I'd also recommend it.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on March 19, 2012 at 18:54:04 [Post link]

I'm with Dragon on that one. Lunar 2 is one of the best. Chrono cross is also a lost but outstanding classic - that said - Chrono Trigger.

I haven't been a JRPG guy for about 6 years now, so I'm not up to date with anything from the PS2 on.

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on March 19, 2012 at 19:05:34 [Post link]

I'd've recommended Cross but I haven't beaten it myself--only played it on a relative's copy to make sure that the game was working properly. By the time I was to hand it over I was tempted to say it was broken to keep it myself.

The irony being that when I got my own copy, it actually was broken, on the first disc--game wouldn't start, and I had no save files to warrant starting on disc 2. Alas.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on March 19, 2012 at 22:47:48 [Post link]

The World Ends With You

Go

Play it

Right now

STOP READING AND GO

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 20, 2012 at 1:37:37 [Post link]

Quote from post #229814:
Originally posted by TopHat
The World Ends With You

I said console. :P

I'm mostly considering recent games for the next one to play, but I'm opened to the idea of going back to some classic that I might have never played. I know that the platform had several releases, but the Playstation 2 is off-limits for me: I don't have one, and my PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

Chrono Cross is a little gem, true. I had a lot of fun playing through it a few times!

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on March 20, 2012 at 1:52:42 [Post link]

The DS is a console. A handheld console.

COME AT ME

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler

Stream: At my age, I qualify for Interordi's socia...

NetNavi:
Black Dranzer.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on March 21, 2012 at 5:40:04 [Post link]

Go pre-order Xenoblade Chronicles right now. You won't regret it.

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on March 23, 2012 at 1:25:19 [Post link]

Breath of Fire; Dragon Quarter
Best RPG out there, except perhaps TWEWY, as I haven't played it.
It's for the PS2, made by CAPCOM. Their only good RPG besides Battle Network(and possibly Command Mission), and it's a masterpiece.

Edited by Daveris on March 26, 2012 at 12:51:24

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 23, 2012 at 3:04:55 [Post link]

Quote from post #229850:
Originally posted by Daveris
Breath of Fire; Dragon Quarter ... Their only good RPG

I shake my fist at you for ignoring the Battle Network series and Command Mission!

SPT Layzner
The Blue Comet

Stream: Games of the moment: Gundam EXVS and TF: FoC

NetNavi:
SPTLayzner.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on March 23, 2012 at 5:03:10 [Post link]

What about Tales of Graces F?

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 11:51:41 [Post link]

Quote from post #229852:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Quote from post #229850:
Originally posted by Daveris
Breath of Fire; Dragon Quarter ... Their only good RPG

I shake my fist at you for ignoring the Battle Network series and Command Mission!

*Edits*

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on March 27, 2012 at 1:34:07 [Post link]

It won't be out until later this year, but Ni no Kuni looks pretty interesting to me. Also for the PS3, there's the Yakuza games.. not really JRPG, but definitely action RPG-esque. Though I'd definitely say Yakuza 4 > Yakuza 3.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on March 27, 2012 at 13:32:59 [Post link]

I now have Xenoblade Chronicles on preorder. If I understood correctly, my shipment will include a bonus art book. If the game's design is as nice as some early reviews suggest, this should be a nice treat. :)

I still have some store credit that I must spend in the coming weeks, so I'll keep an eye out for other ideas!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on April 12, 2012 at 13:34:03 [Post link]

I received the game yesterday! Those courier clowns decided there was no point to notify me that I had a package waiting at their office...

As expected, I've received the collectible art book. It doesn't have a lot of pages, but it's very well produced with thick pages and an embossed cover. :)

I'm hoping to find a bit of time to play it soon!

Pages: 1

New topic Reply