Interordi Menu
Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

It's hard enough to find people who played KS much less it's alpha release "Grid1". But, humor me. :P Has anyone played Grid1? It's an extremely rough draft version and what most people probably expected how this project would end up to be (in other words, really crappy looking). The dialog (although some lines and subjects were carried over to the final) is very different and rough (one path has an editor's notes!). Almost elementary pacing as it goes from one scene to another without much detail or thought. Most of the music and some of the images were not in place yet. And also about those, completely different music, character designs, and backgrounds.

If I played this when they first started years ago, I wouldn't be impressed or willing to play it. The characters don't have their charm as the final. It seems like a bland and boring story.

Here's some mini observations about the characters:

Hanako is shy but much more talkative and a bit playful in this. She also loves wandering around and climbing high places (rooftops, walls) just for the view.

Rin barely changed give or take a few lines in one path while in another, she doesn't have that same aloof, cryptic personality. She likes clear weather than the rain.

Lilly has an seeing-eye dog and plays the violin. Her backstory is a little different as she is the eldest daughter than the youngest.

Emi is relatively the same but apparently only attends the school seasonally.

Shizine and Misha still have their roles as student counsel. They are friendly, but not adamant in becoming Hisao's friends. They also don't take up most of Act 1's scenes.

The game abruptly ends at the end of the first day. Other than the girls, the teacher Mutou (who, including Hisao, doesn't have images/sprites), and the principle (who didn't make the cut to the final), no one else is introduced nor hinted to.

Edited by Breakman on April 6, 2012 at 2:16:00

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6342 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Playing through prereleases can be a lot of fun, especially if you're familiar with the real thing and how it's different!

That's quite the jump from the final product, but I guess that's to be expected for something that has been underway for five years. This looks much rougher around the edges, and more bland too. Time did it good!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)