Interordi Menu
Blink
Commander
74 posts

I'm doing a senior project for school, and it involves researching the history of arcades. However, what I'm going to really be talking about are the social aspects--stuff like:

*Communities formed
*Friendships made
*General camaraderie
*Arcades as an escape
*The social experience

Basically, what kept people going beyond the attraction of the videogames, considering the rising popularity of home consoles through the 80s ad 90s.

If any of you guys were around in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, and can describe what it was like to walk into an arcade, or what it meant to be a regular, or can share basically anything about the social experience of arcades, it would be much appreciated.

(I know there are documentaries, but I am trying to get as many personal accounts as possible)

Edited by Blink on November 14, 2012 at 9:53:12

What makes me a good Demoman?
If I were a bad Demoman, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I? Image

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

I know you said you weren't looking for documentaries, but my favorite is Fist Full of Quarters.

Let me think about my experiences and observations...

Everyone loves a winner, especially one who plays with style. I've always seen this around DDR machines. People may be waiting for their turn on the machine, but if you play well, they might just watch. Give them a show, they might start paying for your games instead of taking their turns.

No matter if you came to the arcade to play "only" the newest machines, the old machines like Ms Pacman (who wants to play Pacman when Ms Pacman can run!) or Space Invaders still had a place and purpose in arcades. People played them for nostalgia reasons, but also to use up the rest of their quarters or tokens. Can't play the newest 4 token machine with 3 tokens? Play 3 games of Frogger instead of taking 3 useless coins home.

Another thing to do with "unusable" tokens or tickets: give them to children. I've done this a few times and seen others do it too.

Talking about tokens, many arcades had personal "currency" instead of using quarters or generic gold coins. Many people, myself included, collected these tokens from different arcades. I think I still have a few hidden away in my room.

It's sad what happened and what is happening to American arcades. They are usually empty and lonely now versus then I went to them in the 90s. I don't remember arcades packed, but at least most of the cabinets would have one person. Now days, you would be lucky if there's an arcade attendant on the floor. The only place I still feel an ounce of energy and flashiness of old arcades I remember is the Sega Game Works chain. I think why they are still kicking is because they borrow heavily from their Japanese arcades look and having Sonic as a mascot also helps bring in tourists.

Edited by Breakman on December 3, 2012 at 1:27:18