Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Life, the universe, and everything, A discussion about the absurdity of life.

Pages: 1

Phatman Dover
[REDACTED]

Stream: HQ, my hat looks like a muffin, over.

NetNavi:
Atomsk.EXE
Z-license
Level: 8 [What's this?]
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 9:47:40 [Post link]

Hello and salutations, all you good Earth people. For those of you who are not from Earth, Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep mini bong.

I come today to talk about the insanity and unpredictability that is life. How does it maintain such chaos and yet be so perfect at the same time? Barring religious discussion as usual, I think the point of this topic is more to muse on what you would consider coincidences that just seem too...precise...to be a coincidence. I'm not talking conspiracy theories, either- we have enough of those around. I'm more talking about personal experiences, life lessons, and other things as such. Maybe we can help some of the people on the board a little bit with some advice.

Being said, I should put a disclaimer here: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE IS ANY OF THE ADVICE TO BE TAKEN AS PROFESSIONAL. THESE ARE MERELY LIFE EXPERIENCES PEOPLE HAVE CHOSEN TO SHARE THAT MAY PROVIDE INSIGHT ON A PARTICULAR PROBLEM.

Now then, with that out of the way, I suppose I can start.

With me, when things seem to be stable, they quickly become...not so stable. For example, after 2 years working in an electrical shop, I was laid off due to financial constraints. I was part-time, so it was a no-brainer for them.

Later on, I am lucky enough to get a custodial job at a middle school through my dad. I make good money, work 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, and the work is generally easy. Over time I become unable to accommodate the vast amount of requests for cleaning in certain areas in 5 hours, as they continue to add a new task every week. One particularly hot afternoon, I was running late and hadn't eaten well, in addition to running around like an idiot. I was cleaning the stairwells as usual, and when I finished, I walked down the first half flight, went to go down the second, and I blinked and was at the bottom of the stairs after that.

I had passed out from exhaustion.

Long story short, they denied me any worker's compensation, in addition to testing me physically to see if I was able to do what I needed to do. They never tested me the full amount, even though I did not struggle. To this day it feels like they just wanted to get rid of me!

It's taught me a lesson, and that lesson is that sometimes you gotta go with the punches, and other times you fight back. But mostly what I learned is that the 'Old Boy' system is still very much in place in every job position, and getting a job nowadays requires you to know someone or be exceptional in your field.

Anyone else with a crazed story?

Reality swirled in a wholly blue manner, revealing absolutely nothing of merit. Things flashed madly in and out of existence like some entirely other sort of phenomena. On a whim, Kurt Vonnegut imploded, taking a sizeable hunk of Massachusetts with him. However, seeing as Massachusetts wasn't entirely sure it existed, the chunk wasn't all that big.

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Michael Jackson Hat Fluttershy Derpy Hooves ... and 20 more

NetNavi:
KARATE003号.EXE
Z-license
Level: 17 [What's this?]
Posted on April 20, 2013 at 11:45:19 [Post link]

About the job market, no argument here. Of the total of 9 jobs I have held, 6 were acquired from who I know (or who I know knows), and 2 were Craigslist (1 was "other";). Sure, I had to pass the interview and come off as not a total slouch, but honestly the clear majority of cases (barring those few where the process went "Does candidate have a pulse? If so, hire!";) I feel it was a mutual acquaintance that scored me that "welcome aboard" handshake.

I had someone tell me they have actually found out the names of their interviewer or a boss of the company, facebook/linkedin stalked 'em for a few days, and made up a list of topics to discuss and people to name drop. I can not personally speak for this method, but reportedly, this works like a charm (if you can pull it off naturally and convincingly). Poor advice for a poor age, perhaps, but if that's the leg up someone needs, guess I can't begrudge them.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply