Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: The Future of Video Game Based Movies, They've always been terrible... But is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Pages: 1

Rioni Riishu
Superstar!

Stream: "You've got red on you."
Posted on March 22, 2016 at 14:50:39 [Post link]

We in the gaming community all know by now never to look forward to any of our favorite titles being a blockbuster movie. Let's face it; most video game based movie titles fail to please the fan base, AND fail to gain any interest from those outside of the fan base. At best, we get a movie that's kind of, "meh." (And at worst we get anything by Uwe Boll.) I, for one, had given up hope.

And yet, this summer's movie lineup consists of Ratchet and Clank, Angry Birds, Sly Cooper, and Warcraft, and to be honest, each of them looks as though real care was put into honoring the source material and giving fans something they legitimately want to see. Whether or not they're great, could these by the "Spiderman" of video game movies?

Once up on a time, super hero movies had the same stigma as being god-awful, and everyone rolled their eyes when a new title came out. Spiderman, despite its eventual flaws, marked a new beginning in the genre, and now everything from Avengers to Antman, Deadpool to Batman vs Superman, are becoming huge successes and instant fan favorites. Maybe it's time video game movies received that same treatment. With this summer movie lineup, I'm hopeful that we might finally see that turn in the genre and start getting excited for titles like Legend of Zelda, Mega man, Metroid, and Castlevania, being the next summer blockbuster.

What do you guys think? Is there hope coming for our favorite titles? Or should video games simply stay video games?

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on March 23, 2016 at 2:45:03 [Post link]

There are good adaptations, but some people just refuse to accept it! I don't especially care about the Warcraft series as a whole, but I still want to go see that movie. As you said, it looks like they cared about it, and that's enough for me.

The Resident Evil set of movies is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know they don't have all that much to do with the games, but they're stupid fun. Think what you want of the sequels, I still maintain to this day that the first one is a legitimately good movie that stands on its own. Likewise, Prince of Persia from some years ago was a nice watch too, not movie of the year, but solid.

If we go on the other side of the Pacific, in Japan, the Ace Attorney movie was an hilarious (and incredibly accurate at times) take on the first Phoenix Wright title, and well worth the time if you can watch it somewhere.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Rioni Riishu
Superstar!

Stream: "You've got red on you."
Posted on March 23, 2016 at 14:15:37 [Post link]

There are some legitimately good Japanese adaptations. Here in America, though... Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movies you mentioned, I love Silent Hill, and I legitimately liked the Doom movie. But are they actually fantastic movies? Not really, sad to say. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we're about to get some movies we can really be excited for!

Magic
Contributor
Marker-Sensei

Badges: 100 credits

NetNavi:
Neku.EXE
Z-license
Level: 21 [What's this?]
Posted on March 29, 2016 at 2:44:02 [Post link]

The only video-game adaptations I loved was the Silent Hill series; especially Silent Hills: Revelations. The first one is good, second one is actually a fantastic movie, if I do say so myself!

EDIT: Oh, and Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva was great too! Except it was animated.

Edited by Magic on March 29, 2016 at 3:45:37

~Magic

God
Not A Feminist

Stream: BREAKING NEWS!: Snape kills Dumbledore.
Posted on February 18, 2018 at 19:00:48 [Post link]

The preview for Warcraft movie looks awesome, and to be expected since WoW is also popular due to it's legitimately-integrating story during cutscenes (and before that became common in even offline games). I also want to see the Final Fantasy movies. However, this post seems really wrong. Firstly is the fact that you LITERALLYENTIONED "ANGRY BIRDS". As though it were a real game or makes sense to make a movie about! Even if the movie is good, it isn't right to term that as a "video game movie" (and same for all the others you've mentioned, except for Warcraft). And even if it is a good or decent movie, it will have to be a kids' movie too, right? And the second thing is saying that "the community hated superhero movies". In what I've seen they hate it NOW, expecting this new rash of such movies since 2010 or so to all be "generic". I do not seem to agree with them from what I've heard being the criticisms or from what few that I have had the opportunity to watch, however, what you always hears is how people hate all these Marvel etc. movies "because they are done so poorly". Where as around the time of Batman movies or before, people were excited about them. Although there weren't so many for it it be "a thibg" either at that time, hmm.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply