Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsara
I thought the country is the new one.

Well yes, but there's also the one from the 1 Kings era.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here
Inactive
4029 posts

Meh. I never claimed to be an expert in Jewish history.

axl z
Gundamn
Inactive
1059 posts

I dont think god is real.I think some thing else created the planit and us.There is a science behind birth. Its to detailed to tell you.

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Quote:
I don't want to argue, I'm just curious, how could someone go to heaven if he scorns the creator?

If someone would tell you you were wrong about something, and you knew he was right, would you admit it if you were the kind of person that always wants to do/does what is/seems right?

Of course!

And God is all for forgiveness.
Plus, he can't really blame us. How many of us have *really* seen him? Not many. Or, at least, not many, knowing that it was 'Him'.

Quote:
Yes. Hebrew --> Latin --> English, with which I was trying to highlight the fact that meanings are lost in translation.

It's even worse:

Hebrew -> Greek -> Latin -> some old German language that looks somewhat like English -> English.

That can make stuff pretty... 'clutched'.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mega X.exe
Quote:

For as far as *I* know, there were three.

Saul. David. Salomon.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Morphman
Quote:
Yes. Hebrew --> Latin --> English, with which I was trying to highlight the fact that meanings are lost in translation.

It's even worse:

Hebrew -> Greek -> Latin -> some old German language that looks somewhat like English -> English.

That can make stuff pretty... 'clutched'.

All I know is that it was definately translated directly from Latin to English under King James of England, France and Ireland. I can scan my copy of the Holy Bible where it states this if you would like :P

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Saul. David. Salomon.

Weren't they the sons of Isreal, who changed his name to that along as circumsising himself as part of the covanant between him and God? Unless God had every Tom, Dick and Harry change their name to Isreal :P

[Edited on 26/2/06 by Samsara]

Banned
1140 posts

Even though there isn't as much flaming as I'd expect... I still think Doc is going to lock this topic. Just wait..

Bye-bye, Inti.... IF Doc bans me like I told him to.

Rioni... thanks for the Final-Zero music..

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

If people like you spam it up with crap "this is gonna get locked" posts like that, it certainly will. :mad:

However, if you haven't noticed, Dr. Cossack has already posted in this topic on page three so I doubt he will unless it gets really bad which, considering how seriously most of us are actually taking this, won't happen soon.

It is possible to have a debate without an argument. It seems we all know this, except for you.

Banned
1140 posts

Quote:
If people like you spam it up with crap "this is gonna get locked" posts like that, it certainly will. :mad:

However, if you haven't noticed, Dr. Cossack has already posted in this topic on page two so I doubt he will unless it gets really bad which, considering how seriously most of us are actually taking this, won't happen soon.

It is possible to have a debate without an argument. It seems we all know this, except for you.
I'm not insulting anyone right now, chill out.

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

The only thing that is going to get this topic locked is pointless talk about it getting locked. So please either say something on topic, or please don't say anything at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider777
BTW Tech, you spelled "Bhudist" wrong.

BTW, it just occured to me that you spelled "Buddhist" wrong, too. :P

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Quote:
All I know is that it was definately translated directly from Latin to English under King James of England, France and Ireland. I can scan my copy of the Holy Bible where it states this if you would like :P

If you want to do so yourself, and can as well, please do.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Saul. David. Salomon.

Weren't they the sons of Isreal, who changed his name to that along as circumsising himself as part of the covanant between him and God? Unless God had every Tom, Dick and Harry change their name to Isreal :P

IsraŽl was first known as Jacob, son of Isac, son of Abraham. IsraŽl means 'Warrior of God'. Jacob recieved that name after *gasp* battling an angel. Supposedly Michael.
(You rarely find battles in the Bible.)

Jacob, correction: IsraŽl, had twelve sons. Ruben, Simeon, Levi, Juda, Issachar, Zebulon, Gad, Aser, Beria, Dan, Joseph and Ben-Jamin. I think.

The books of Saul, David and Salomon take place at a much later time. I think David was of the fourteenth generation after the Exodus, which itself took place about fourteen generations after Abraham.

They were kings. First Saul, who had no children, then David, who had been 'destined' through God's will, then Salomon, who was David's only son.

[Edited on 26-2-2006 by Morphman]

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

Thank you, Morphman, for that knowledge.

Quote:
For seven or eight centuries, it was the Latin Vulgate that held sway as the common version nearest to the tongue of the people. Latin had become the accepted tongue of the Catholic Church, and there was little general acquaintance with the Bible except among the educated. During all that time, there was no real room for a further translation. Medieval England was quite unripe for a Bible in the mother tongue; while the illiterate majority were in no condition to feel the want of such a book, the educated minority would be averse to so great and revolutionary a change. When a man cannot read any writing, it really does not matter to him whether books are in current speech or not, and the majority of the people for those seven or eight centuries could read nothing at all.

These centuries added to the (unfounded) conviction of many that the Bible ought not to become too common, that it should not be read by everybody, that it required a certain amount of learning to make it safe reading. They came to feel that it is as important to have an authoritative interpretation of the Bible as to have the Bible itself. When the movement began to make it speak the new English tongue, it provoked the most violent opposition. Latin had been good enough for a millennium; why cheapen the Bible by a translation? There had grown up a feeling that Jerome himself had been inspired. He had been canonised, and half the references to him in that time speak of him as the inspired translator.

Criticism of his version was counted as impious and profane as criticisms of the original text could possibly have been. It is one of the ironies of history that the version for which Jerome had to fight, and which was counted a piece of impiety itself, actually became the ground on which men stood when they fought against another version, counting anything else but this very version an impious intrusion.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_English_Bible
(I didn't feel like scanning the Bible)

I also believe that not allowing the Bible to be translated into a language which everyone can read is elitist, power driven and could also be an attempt to control others by making up much of it as there was no way that they could be proven otherwise.

Wherever you have power and religion and politics, there will always be those out to abuse it. So Lordly are we, made in His almighty image...

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Don't forget, people do a lot of good too. It's just that the Catholic church...didn't.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

Much of the propergander used by the Roman Catholic church is often used by many other organised religions.

In fact, the religion I really respect is Buddhism. It is about achieving Nirvana through being rid of desires, not about trying to please those in a position of power to try and get to God. If anything, it isn't a religion as such, it is more of a state of mind. Of course, the whole Samsara thing puts it down there as a religion. :D

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Quote:
Don't forget, people do a lot of good too.

Welcome to the Church Of People.

1. "Believe in People." instead of "I am your God, your only God, and nothing but your God!"

2. "Do good to people, as they will good to you in return." instead of "Don't make any images of me, or I will get off my lazy ass to let my angel servants kill you!"

3. "Don't expect people to do good for you after you have done good for them, instead, have patience. Also, don't force people to do good for you." instead of "Don't use my name falsely, or I will make my evil mutant sheep come after you!"

4. Know any good replacement for "Keep the Sabbath and keep it holy"?

5. "Respect your parents, as they deserve it, even though you might not understand fully, and respect those who deserve respect." instead of "Honour your daddy and mommy, so honour me, 'cuz this brotha is DA FATHAH!"

6. "Don't murder." Hm, good enough.

7. "Talk through arguments untill it is settled down. Especially with one whom you'd like to be with for the continueity of life." instead of "Don't commit adultery! Just have some sex while I watch!"

8. "Don't steal." May stay as well.

9. "Don't accuse falsely, or bear false witness against your fellow human." Sounds right. It was like that, wasn't it?

10. "You may have envy, but remember that envy is a foolish emotion, for property does not always bring happiness." instead of "Don't envy your fellow human. Envy me! GOD! I'm OMNIPOTENT! And OMNISCIENT! You SHOULD envy that! MWUAHAHAHAHAAHH!!"

... right.

Quote:
It's just that the Catholic church...didn't.

Which is exactly why they should have the church be lead by an 80-year old virgin who has been in the Hitler Jugend. Yup, it'll make everything better. Just watch. Lil' Ben will make it aaaaaaaaallllright.

... right?

[Edited on 26-2-2006 by Morphman]

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

That's one for Bible 2: The Real Story. Ten decent commandments. Then you can sue God if he doesn't give credit.

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Quote:
That's one for Bible 2: The Real Story. Then you can sue God if he doesn't give credit.

He better have a good lawyer. :o

ArixRaven
Kuro-Kage
Inactive
63 posts

I started to read this and then I relised I could Use my time better by Beating my skull in with a dead kitten untill I think I'm the new pope.

My Religion is that of the Katamari
My God is the King of the Cosmos
My Jesus is the Prince
My Cross a Katamari
My Bible the Instruction manual
My Faith Eternal 3

"How can I be sure my past isn't just a fiction created to account for the discrepency between my emediate physical sensations and my current state of mind?"

Ribitta
Rampant
Inactive
1303 posts

I like this topic, but it's getting kind of nasty, and we are getting off topic it seems, we are just supposed to state are opinion and move on.

I wish I hadn't argued:(:cry:

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

Why is it getting nasty? Have I said something which offended you? Do you disagree with what is being said here? In what way is this nasty?

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Oh, don't worry. I disagree with almost everything you've said. But don't worry, I haven't taken it personally.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Ribitta
Rampant
Inactive
1303 posts

Quote:
Oh, don't worry. I disagree with almost everything you've said. But don't worry, I haven't taken it personally.

Percisely what I meant, but an arguement is going to break out, people will vehemtly make their position clear, and Doc will lock this.

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Ah... people fighting over who has the better imaginary friend. I was not going to post on this thread but I feel that I am obligated to now.

As I am sure a few of you know that I am an Atheist. This does not mean that I am a worshiper of Athe. Atheist is a cojuntion of two words, anti (meaning without or against) and theist (meaning belief in a deity).

I do not think that there are no gods, I know. I would sooner cut off my own hand than grovel before something for help. All faith and love I have is place within myself and the select individuals that disurve it.

I am the alter and the idol. I take the place of a god in my life. If I need something, I'll pull through to get it. I need strength, I'll find it.

Call me damned, call me arrogent but keep in mind that if you do, you already are in my eyes.

I'm older school than you are.

Banned
1140 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribitta
Quote:

Percisely what I meant, but an arguement is going to break out, people will vehemtly make their position clear, and Doc will lock this.
At least SOME people are smart enough to figure it out.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider777
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribitta
Quote:

At least SOME people are smart enough to figure it out.

Spider, do you actually think about what you say before you post? Because I wonder sometimes. What 'SOME' of been smart enough to figure out, is how to have a discussion on religion for 5 pages without fighting, and we can damn well keep it going.

Take a look at your own intelligence before you imply that most of the older members don't have it.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

ur st00pid Mega X liek wow

I don't see anything that Airman has said to be "wrong", but then again he's discussing translation issues with the Bible and people just naturally spaz if anyone dare question any part of their religion.

Which brings me to a very good point I saw on Deviantart of all places.. Two very good points from a very nice Catholic.

"Unfortunately there isn't a mandate that says "Thou shalt not be a flaming jerk"

"Yeah, well i personally think that those types are belligerent cause they are insecure about thier faith, that they are pissed that someone challenges what it is they believe. I know what it is that i believe, but i'm not about to tell someone that their beliefs aren't correct, and if they ask, then i'll explain what it is i believe. it works kinda in a sense of duality, and i guess some people think that if you have faith you can't accept those kind of answers, but i feel perfectly at peace dealing with it that way. I suppose its just because of in the environment I was told to question certain aspects of the faith, and that way i can take a light hearted approach instead of having it pre-masticated and whatever tastless bits left shoved down my throat. Thats what people who i've met that are agnostic or aethiest felt compelled them away from any faith, and thats their descision. I'm not going to tell them that it's wrong that they should believe something different from me." after someone said that they're glad he's not one of those Christians that get angry when someone raises a point about their beliefs, like cough cough alot of you at this board cough.

Tech_Brainstorm
Mutant Sandwich
Inactive
54 posts

Everyone stay on topic. We don't need any crude remarks posted either.

94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature.
Trying to tap into my psychic abilities right now.
Have a nice day!
Tech Brainstorm

saiyanprince5
Wandering Returner
Inactive
528 posts

I have been a Christian all my life. Sure I may have said some bad stuff but most of the time a ask for forgiveness.:rolleyes:
This is a good poll to get to know people better.

KayChan
Needy Patient
Inactive
101 posts

Im a luther and proud of it!!!:miam:

I love random pms!!!
My Name is PHILLIP!!!
CLICK HERE.... if you like WAFFLES!! muahahhahaha!!!

BlueSilver
Rick
Inactive
835 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ArixRaven
I started to read this and then I relised I could Use my time better by Beating my skull in with a dead kitten untill I think I'm the new pope.

My Religion is that of the Katamari
My God is the King of the Cosmos
My Jesus is the Prince
My Cross a Katamari
My Bible the Instruction manual
My Faith Eternal 3

I also neal before the King of All Cosmos.
Just for the record we pray standing up, hands out in front of us, pushing at air humming...

"Nah na... na na na nah na na..."