Pages: 1

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn

Stream: Blargh.
Posted on August 4, 2007 at 5:06:27 [Post link]

Official website

This game is dead awesome.

might be spoilers, so ye have been warned

Essentially, it's 1960. Your plane has crashed into the ocean, and your only hope remains with a large lighthouse jutting up from the darkness below. Entering it, you find a staircase that leads down into a secret underwater city...

Welcome to Rapture.

Rapture is an idealistic society built by Andrew Ryan, who was tired of humanity's shortcomings. So, he built Rapture and selected only the most able human beings(in his mind) to Rapture. For a few years, it was perfect...but then, something happened and everything changed.

Scientists discovered a sea slug that secreted pure stem cells, and with further experimentation, discovered that this secretion could be used to alter the genetic code of human beings. They call this substance 'ADAM'.

Long story short, a civil war breaks out and pretty much everyone is dead save for the few ADAM-addicted Splicers, the Little Sisters (Five-year-old girl-looking creatures that go around Rapture and poke dead bodies to get blood to drink. Not kidding in the least here) and Big Daddies (Think of a walking tank in a diving suit. These follow around the Little Sisters and serve as their protectors as they gather ADAM).

Going back to the present. You now have to go through Rapture and survive using guns, and all assortments of plasmids and other genetic powers.

The most appealing part of this game is the fact that anything you think you can do, you pretty much can. Want to set him on fire? Go ahead. Then shock him once he jumps into a body of water. Want to blast his face off? Not advisable, but sure. Go ahead.

Comes out August 21st. I can't wait.

Also, yeah, yeah, I know. tl;dr. That wasn't concise at all :\

Or, the poster formerly known as Pri- I mean, rockmaniskool.

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on August 4, 2007 at 5:22:37 [Post link]

This looks really interesting. Nothin' like doing whatever the hell you please. Not sure if I'd play it, but it seems like an interesting ride for those into this kind of stuff.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Stream: Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Posted on August 4, 2007 at 22:09:43 [Post link]

More achievement points for me!

Ace Scope
Superstar!

Posted on August 6, 2007 at 20:10:29 [Post link]

This game actually looks exceptionally good, If my computer can handle it (I got a new one, but Idk, but I should be able too) I might get it. It does look very cool though, I like all the different powers.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on August 9, 2007 at 4:20:06 [Post link]

This is pretty much the same thing, only with some extra detail. (All hail the Wikpedia!)

The game starts in the year 1960, with the player underwater following a plane crash in the ocean, surrounded by debris. No introductory cut scene is displayed explaining how this happened, leaving the player to decide for themselves why they were on the plane. Nearby, a lighthouse is sticking out of the water, in the middle of the ocean. Upon getting inside and traversing the internal stairwell, the player finds a bathysphere submersible with a corpse inside. Upon removing the corpse and descending in the bathysphere (having nowhere else to go), the player eventually reaches an underwater city on the ocean floor.

A plot unfolds involving the crumbling city and the utopian society for which it was built. It began with a Howard Hughes-like industrialist named Andrew Ryan. Born in Russia in the early 1900s, he witnessed the rise of the Soviet Union, losing his entire family to the corruption that would plague it throughout its existence. He eventually escaped to the United States, becoming a wealthy and respected industrialist/inventor. At first he is a dedicated patriot, grateful to his new nation for rewarding his intelligence and determination with prosperity and fame. However, his devotion is tested by the Great Depression, the New Deal, and finally shattered by the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Immediately afterward, in 1946, was when he withdrew from the world and built the underwater city. A hidden sanctuary for those Ryan considered to be humanity's best and brightest, the society was envisioned as the ultimate capitalistic and individualist paradise, with the elite achieving for themselves, rather than for the whole. Mocking the beliefs of common society, he named it Rapture. Protected by a network of giant sea walls and consisting of a cluster of enormous skyscraper-shaped hive towers, Rapture was designed to be entirely self-supporting, with all of its electricity, food production, water purification and defense systems powered by undersea volcanic openings. At one point, it is learned that Rapture's population numbered several thousand at its peak during the early 1950s, composed of those people Ryan viewed as the best examples of mankind. A large and tiered economy grew among the people, catering different quality products to different levels of the society. The city itself is inspired by Art Deco and has an appearance merging the futuristic and archaic.

A scientific discovery upset the balance of the society. Two scientists studying ocean-floor dwelling creatures discovered a species of sea slug that secretes pure stem cells. These could be used to enhance one's body, improving physical or mental capabilities, curing diseases and healing injuries. A young entrepreneur named Tenebaum invested early on in the research to gain control over the material. The substance, dubbed "ADAM", became so sought after in the society, that it became the dominant currency of the city. A "full-scale genetic arms race" broke out between Ryan and Tenebaum as Tenebaum's monopoly on ADAM threatened the current social structure. Ryan eventually won, but everyone in the city was permanently changed. During the war, it was discovered that ADAM could be used to modify one's body, combining technology and mutations to adapt and survive the conflict, but losing their humanity in the process. During the conflict, all natural sources of ADAM were destroyed, which eventually resulted in a major shift in the "ecology" of the city, as all inhabitants had become biologically dependent on ADAM to survive.

When the player arrives in Rapture, the city is in a state of disrepair, its vast underground living areas and laboratory complexes scarred by the effects of the civil war and poisoned by biological weapons. Low-level flooding is also found to be a problem, as the use of high-powered explosives and corrosion weapons during the war created small breaches in the city's sea walls, allowing seawater to enter some of the buildings.

As the player descends through the underwater city, he or she will explore the many levels of the giant undersea base, including the huge living quarters modules and the multi-floored scientific headquarters. Remnants of the last days remain in notes and recordings made by the citizens before and during the collapse of Rapture's society. Not only does this provide background, it also opens new avenues in the player's interaction with the ecology of Rapture.

Enemies

Four main categories of enemies are encountered:

• Splicers: Deformed, genetically modified Rapture citizens who are now remnants of Ryan's army, the Aggressors cannot survive without ADAM due to their extensive biological modifications. They wear little or no armor, and normally roam the levels of Rapture, searching for other inhabitants to kill and steal ADAM from. As their name would suggest, they are aggressive and quick to attack, and will use their enhanced physical strength, group tactics and, sometimes, semi-biological weapons to kill all in their path.
  • Gatherers: (Little Sisters) Originally to be portrayed as slug-like, genetically modified sea creaturesbut now shown as genetically modified children, the Gatherers were created by a scientist named Dr. Tanenbaum as a solution to the ADAM shortage. They extract the inert ADAM from the dead with the tools they carry and eat it, their bodies reprocessing it into a usable form. The team designed them so the player would have to make an ethical decision on whether or not to kill little girls to obtain much-needed resources. Nevertheless, doing so is severely difficult, due to their symbiotic relationship with the Protectors. According to lead designer Ken Levine, the Gatherers have a direct link with the main character. In a recently released audio file, Levine clarifies that the player cannot physically harm a Little Sister directly, but can "harvest" the ADAM from them (a process which they will not survive). This will be presented via audio, and a black screen.
  • Protectors: (Big Daddies, or Mr. Bubbles and Mr. B as some of the Gatherers call them) Mute, lumbering bio-mechanical monstrosities, created to protect the Gatherers. They are heavily armored and wield high-powered weaponry, including a large drill. Their armor somewhat resembles a large diving suit. Most of the inhabitants stay out of the way of the Gatherers and Protectors. They will not attack you unless provoked and according to lead designer Paul Hellquist "Once you mess with them, you find out why no one messes with them." In a recent trailer/commentary for Bioshock, it was revealed that, despite their size and typically slow movements, they become incredibly fast once engaged, in some cases quicker than the player.
  • Security Bots: Throughout the city of Rapture, they are called via alarm by various security cameras. Security bots appear to hover and fly using the same method as helicopters and are armed with machine guns. When disturbed, the security cameras' siren will sound and an unlimited supply of security bots will pour out for a limited time. The only way to take them down is to shut off the security system by using ADAM to turn it off. The security system can also be suborned by the player, either by "hacking" it or using the "Security Beacon" plasmid on an enemy.

There's some more on the customization that I'll get to tomorrow or something.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn

Posted on August 13, 2007 at 4:54:02 [Post link]

Hay

Two things

1. Sexy new trailer

2. Demo is out for 360 owners. Head to Marketplace to get it.

Why are you still reading this? GO GET IT!

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on August 14, 2007 at 16:25:29 [Post link]

The friggin' downloads are crashing the marketplace. Millions of people are trying to download that game simultaneously!

Ace Scope
Superstar!

Posted on August 18, 2007 at 23:07:08 [Post link]

Omg, I don't know if the game is out yet, but i've seen some reviews, tons of 10's and 9.5/9.9's. I guess the game is truely amazing! If my computer can handle it i'm gonna get it!

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on August 19, 2007 at 21:56:27 [Post link]

Good luck playing Bioshock on a PC. It seems to be a really graphic intensive game. I finished downloading the demo a few days ago and played it. I have to say that it's one of the best games I've seen in a while.

Ace Scope
Superstar!

Posted on August 20, 2007 at 17:33:07 [Post link]

I've actually just gotten a brand new PC, so hopefully I will be able to play it soon. My graphics card isn't the best, but I am getting a new one soon. Otherwise my PC is great.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on August 20, 2007 at 18:49:28 [Post link]

Looks like Jack Thompson has awoken from his prison within the Earth to attack BioShock.

Ace Scope
Superstar!

Posted on August 20, 2007 at 19:21:54 [Post link]

Uh uh...that can't be good...especially cause the Big Daddies protect little girl enemies....

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on August 20, 2007 at 21:14:25 [Post link]

Jack Thompson has no case. It doesn't show the Little Sister being extracted of ADAM, so there's no issue.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on August 20, 2007 at 22:18:18 [Post link]

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Blazen
Vv

Stream: Fighting is reeeeeaaaaally not my thing.
Posted on August 21, 2007 at 6:44:34 [Post link]

There seems to be three types of stupid people out there. The infuriating, the funny, and the Jack Thompson, witch is a hybrid of both creating an infuriatingly humorous paradox that sends even some of the best scholars into a mental spiral and state, leading to pain equal to a brain freeze.

Back onto the game itself however, I just played the demo today. The combat so far isn't that great. It's fun, yes, but not very deep. I also kinda wished I was able to come face-to-face with a big daddy.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on August 21, 2007 at 15:38:55 [Post link]

Deep? I know it's very creative.

Quote:
The developers encourage the player to use their imagination. Plasmids are versatile, and the player can use them in concert with each other and the environment to great effect. For example, one of the first bosses the player will face is a crazed surgeon. The player can use Incinerate to set him on fire, then as he tries to put himself out in a pool of water the player can use ElectroBolt to electrocute the water. While he is stunned and convulsing, the player can hack a nearby medical station so that it will poison the surgeon when he tries to heal himself. Telekinesis can be used on anything not nailed down; not only can the player catch grenades and throw them back at an enemy, one can also pick up a burning object and throw it to set an enemy on fire, or even defuse and re-set traps. The user has a limited number of slots to use on different types of Plasmids, so they have to decide which ones to arm themselves with and which to discard.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Blazen
Vv

Posted on August 23, 2007 at 4:09:24 [Post link]

Well now I can agree with you Mega, I just beat the game. I got it yesterday at about 12 noon and stopped a 7. I then played for another hour or two after ward. I played it again today, starting at 1:00, took like a three hour break and beat it at about 10:30 today. Yeah, all I did was play it. It isn't that long of a game, but I didn't explore that much really. I thought I did, but when the end hit, I found I was wrong. So I should probably go through again and look a bit more. It took me about, 15 hours.

The combat I complained about earlier does certainly get better as you play. The Mr. Bubbles are possibly the best enemies ever created for a video game. They are pretty vicious guys that really tend to be a challenge...that is until you get the right ammo and guns. That's when they kinda become a bit more of pushovers. But at least they don't become as weak as the Splicers who can be taken down in one or two wrench hits. Really I think the game gets easier as it goes rather than harder. Really I think the Big Daddies at least would take more than three hits from a nade launcher, at least it would be more fun that way.

The powers are fun through and through however. The different plasmid combos and environment usage is very well done. One shoots bees from your arms! Not only are the offensive ones done well, but the more passive ones are very handy. Like one will allow you to recover Eve from med-kits, as well as health.

Also another fun little extra is researching. You eventually get a camera and take pictures of the different enemies. When you take pictures you level up. You do more damage and you also learn what hurts that particular enemy, containing both info for your guns as well as your plasmids. Although that is the cause of making your wrench completely pwn each enemy it is fun and sometimes you get passive plasmids or abilities from it.

Now, I'd really like to compliment the writers of the game. This was easily the best story of a game I've seen, ever. There are so many twists and surprises that keeps the story interesting, but not so many that it becomes redundant.

All in all, it is indeed a good game. Just not as great as it's been said to be. The combat, especially later in the game, is kinda easy. It may be interesting, but easy. I'd say buy it if you're looking for a good story, especially ones who want one in an FPS. I'd give it an 8.9/10.

Now would you kindly get the game and experience the awesomeness of Bioshock?

Edited by Blazen on August 22, 2007 at 23:09:45.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on August 26, 2007 at 23:05:19 [Post link]

I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow?

No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...

Rapture.

A city where the artist would not fear the censor. Where the scientist
would not be bound by petty morality. Where the great would not
be constained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow,
Rapture can become your city as well.

Best. Game. Intro. EVER.

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn

Posted on August 27, 2007 at 22:26:12 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Smirnoff
I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow?

No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...

Rapture.

A city where the artist would not fear the censor. Where the scientist
would not be bound by petty morality. Where the great would not
be constained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow,
Rapture can become your city as well.

Best. Game. Intro. EVER.

If there is one better than this, I have not heard it.

The 'Incinerate!' advertisement before the speech cinched it.

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on August 28, 2007 at 0:41:08 [Post link]

I agree, that is a sweet intro.

Zero the saber master
Some guy

Posted on August 29, 2007 at 2:12:06 [Post link]

well i finally bought it,great game =].Very Hard achievements[trying to get them].Love the Storyline, and i loved the intro like Smirnoff Says.And wonderfull graphics.Trying to Beat it on hard mode currently.Now that school started havent really been able to play it much.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on August 31, 2007 at 2:23:11 [Post link]

Damn you, Atlas! DAMN YOU!

Blazen
Vv

Posted on August 31, 2007 at 19:33:38 [Post link]

Quote:
Damn you, Atlas! DAMN YOU!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
For being such an easy boss battle!

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on August 31, 2007 at 22:22:57 [Post link]

Yeah, I got the "bad" ending. I was like "WTF?! I only killed three Little Sisters!"

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn

Posted on September 1, 2007 at 19:48:21 [Post link]

Quote:
Yeah, I got the "bad" ending. I was like "WTF?! I only killed three Little Sisters!"

You get the 'bad' ending even if you kill one Little Sister. Odd, I know, but still.

And yeah, Atlas is an arse.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Posted on September 2, 2007 at 17:36:07 [Post link]

But my character had a "change of heart" once he realized that he actually got more ADAM by saving them!

Heat Shadow style
Flaming Shinobi

Stream: I feel like burning everything
Posted on September 4, 2007 at 2:55:37 [Post link]

Bioshock was a great game, twas interesting on the wep upgrades and plasmids, but I do have to say it was fairly short, it coulda been a bit longer, ut besides that, again it was a great game.

All who challenge me end up in a flaming scrap heap

I am Pure Evil:devil:

Pages: 1

New topic Reply