Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Wind destroys another ignorant person, Didja MISS me?

Pages: 1 2

Unknown

Posted on September 26, 2007 at 21:30:52 [Post link]

Post redacted

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 21:52:26 [Post link]

Yeah, it certainly looks like you annihilated the guy. As for your argument... I can't help but agree with it.

People just seem to get dumber with each generation, don't they?

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

MaceMan
Knight

Stream: zzzzzt!
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 23:33:40 [Post link]

Eh, honestly, I've been bored lately, and I could use a good debate.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you as well. :hehe:

Ah parenthood... that has to be exciting, terrifying, and absolutely maddening.

Nothing is foolproof to a truly talented fool.

Sorry, MegaMan, but it looks like you
might be stuck up there for a little while more... Actually... at this rate... you may NEVER come down!!! *sob*

Unknown

Posted on September 26, 2007 at 23:44:17 [Post link]

Post redacted

Kia_Purity
Solid Kia

Stream: Naked Raiden cartwheels
Posted on September 27, 2007 at 0:17:05 [Post link]

Now, I'm going to be curious to see how my older sister is going to parent her son. (He's about six months old right now...) Should be interesting when he gets to hit terrible two's. XP

I agree, punishment is often necessary... although, drawing upon my experience, my mom would attempt to ground me and spank me at the same time. I deified the grounding attempts though! But I did learn from spanking. XP

It is truly a fine balance of discipline when it comes to children. Punish too much and they'll be too scared. Don't punish and they'll walk all over you.

--Mod of Ioekaki--

Best quotes from IRC:
* DrCossack hits Evan on the head with Zero's thong.
<Kia_Purity> wat <Kia_Purity> "Queen of Interordi" <Kia_Purity> who did that? XD (from april fools '06)
* DragonBlayde thwacks Mega_X with Kia's thongs <Kia_Purity> NOT MY THONGS

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on September 27, 2007 at 1:14:04 [Post link]

Eh, I dunno. I feel like physical punishment should be a last resort at the very least, used only when your child responds to nothing else.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Rioni Riishu
Superstar!

Stream: "You've got red on you."
Posted on September 27, 2007 at 13:20:48 [Post link]

I definitely agree with corporal punishment... people who refuse to give their kids a spanking just end up with bratty kids, and these kids... don't improve much through adulthood. Different kids do respond to different punishments in different ways- yeah, sometimes you'll get one of those kids when all you have to do is let them know you're mad, and that's enough- you know, the sensitive type. Me? When I was a kid, man, I deserved every swat I got. Other kids learn best from privileges taken away. Everyone's different, but in general, yeah, a lot of kids just need a good paddling.

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on September 27, 2007 at 14:10:23 [Post link]

I must say that in the way you put it, although you put it quite harshly, I agree with it. Punishment is necessary in bringing up a child, but one should also tell WHY they are being punished, because otherwise the child (and likely a lot of other people) will see it as abuse, and the child might turn out to become some violant maniac, and any other person would report you to some social service. On that note, I agree with Kia: too much punishment may not be a good thing, but no punishment at all isn't either.

Myself, I had that sort of upbringing. I wouldn't be smacked for crying, but I would if I would do something bad, such as hitting someone without reason or breaking something intently. At an early age, I had my mouth washed with the most horrible tasting soap ever, because I had learned a couple of bad words at school and kept saying them. Needless to say, I learned from it, although I was extremely angry at my parents at the time, and the next time I swore was more than a year after that.

If people really are discarding punishment (heck, I've even seen news of places where they wanted to FORBID punishment BY LAW), and if people are really becoming MORE violent in general, then one should be quite full of one's own stupidity to not be able to see that punishment MAY just be a good thing. Especially if we use it all the time with criminals.

On a side note,

Quote:
People just seem to get dumber with each generation, don't they?

Taken your theory, RD, our brains should be less developed than those of the lowest life-forms. :o

But really, scientific research says it that people are actually getting smarter with every generation. However, that very same research told that people are also getting more lazy and more prone to not use their brain in the way any person should.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on September 28, 2007 at 5:24:00 [Post link]

Wait, why in hell were you arguing about child-rearing on a Transformers board? And why did you come to a Megaman one to brag about it?

(No idea if it's actually Transformers, just assumed so since the guy mentioned an action figure)

God
Not A Feminist

Stream: BREAKING NEWS!: Snape kills Dumbledore.
Posted on September 28, 2007 at 5:38:01 [Post link]

So he shoudn't reproduce, just because he doesn't agree with the idea of beating children? He was totally stupid in thinking that's what you were saying, but all he said about how to raise a child is DON'T F****** BEAT THEM.

I know a 60-year-old psychologist who has four adult children. He has never punished any of them, he has simply explained the consequences. "Don't play in the street, you couls get run over by a car and ahve to go to the hospital!" They are all generally happy and well-adjusted. Obviously, this is a very hard thing to accomplish, must be done in exactly the right way, and can only be done by people within the correct frame of mind to do so, but obviously as proven by this example, it CAN be accomplished.

Also any type of "weapon" will usually hit harder, hurt more, then your hand.

Unknown

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 5:54:07 [Post link]

Post redacted

God
Not A Feminist

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 6:00:45 [Post link]

You have no more child experience then me, except that you have to change diapers more often.

I still got hurt more whenever whoever was hitting me had some sort of aide. So in my opinion you can hurt someone easier, and with less force, if you are using some sort of "tool." Obviously there are no opinions in this matter, but I don't think there is way to actually find out wihtout some scientific testing... which would be pretty hard considering that any machine used to make sure the force is exactly the same would not be the same as a human hand in makeup.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 6:25:37 [Post link]

A'right Wind. Consider the following: by responding to a misbehavior with physical force you are reinforcing the idea that physical force is not only effective, but the preferred way to end disputes.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Phatman Dover
[REDACTED]

Stream: HQ, my hat looks like a muffin, over.

NetNavi:
Atomsk.EXE
Z-license
Level: 8 [What's this?]
Posted on September 28, 2007 at 7:22:47 [Post link]

Ahh, what are you kidding, when I screwed up bad in public, I'd get a smack up the back of my head to be corrected. Never did me any harm.

Some of these kids have to be beaten, though. Harshly. They have no respect for any of their elders whatsoever, and I think it's disgraceful...

Not to mention most of these little bundles of doom are all diagnosed with ADD and stuff now. I'll tell you what ADD is- it's not having creativity or daydreaming every once in a while, it's when you honestly cannot focus despite your best efforts. What they keep doing is reinforcing the whole 'Every kid is a winner!' idea.

Sorry, Charlie, but maybe Timmy isn't all that special. Maybe he's just stupid. It's perfectly okay, too, not all of us are destined for Harvard. Just keep him out of the gene pool.

Reality swirled in a wholly blue manner, revealing absolutely nothing of merit. Things flashed madly in and out of existence like some entirely other sort of phenomena. On a whim, Kurt Vonnegut imploded, taking a sizeable hunk of Massachusetts with him. However, seeing as Massachusetts wasn't entirely sure it existed, the chunk wasn't all that big.

Unknown

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 13:48:40 [Post link]

Post redacted

Rioni Riishu
Superstar!

Stream: "You've got red on you."
Posted on September 28, 2007 at 15:16:10 [Post link]

That's not to say that smacking a kid is always the answer, though. As I said- different children will respond differently. The biggest thing, though, is never to do it out of anger. That's where the line between punishment and abuse is crossed.

Unknown

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 15:26:13 [Post link]

Post redacted

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 17:38:22 [Post link]

Anti-spanking advocates argue chiefly that spanking is abusive, that it is ineffective, and that it teaches children that physical violence is an acceptable way to deal with other people. They point to the fact that scientific research has failed to back up any of the claims in favor of spanking while research has consistently shown that the number one predictor of violent behavior is whether someone comes from a home where violence is practiced, including a home where children are subjected to physical punishment. Some believe that spanking contributes to physical abuse in cases of domestic violence, bullying at school and physical abuse on siblings. Most violent criminals were spanked as children and many cases of bullying at school have been linked to physical abuse cases. Spanking is also criticized for being a violation of human rights. Many are concerned by the fact that spanking is a sexual activity enjoyed by large sections of the adult population and are afraid that spanking might constitute sexual abuse or cause sexual dysfunction.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Unknown

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 18:12:40 [Post link]

Post redacted

God
Not A Feminist

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 20:09:23 [Post link]

I babysat children constantly as well. My sister is 10 years younger then me, and had a LOT of friends come over at one time 'til she was 7 or 8 years old... actually she stil does, but that's just because my stepmom is babysitting them. I was often the one hanging out where they were at, and therfore mainly in charge of them, even when somebody else WAS home. And then of course there were the real, paid babysitting jobs I had of which all the children and parents said I was a great babysitter.

QUIT LYING ABOUT ME IN PUBLIC. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO INSERT WEIRD DELUSIONS ABOUT ME INTO YOUR TWISTED HEAD, DO IT WHERE YOU ARE ALONE. YOU HAVE NEVER MET MY FAMILY.

Edited by God on September 28, 2007 at 15:23:05.

Unknown

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 20:57:04 [Post link]

Post redacted

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 21:10:24 [Post link]

Ladies, please take this to the PMs plz.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

God
Not A Feminist

Posted on September 28, 2007 at 23:09:51 [Post link]

Ah well... not what I think of when someone says "my family," especially within your last comment, because they are not the ones with whom I have a short temper.

However that last comment has never happened. I have nver been suicidal OR went insane based on my dad stalking me... any time you've "seen" be suicidal it was because of you. Any time I've been close to insane... I had a much better reason then that. All I did about my dad stalking me was get pissed off... but not in any way which really affects my life other then having to be careful who I give what information to.

Yes I know this is off-topic at this point, but I really don't have much of a choice... you can't respond to someone in PMs when they are making you look bad in public, unless they are telling the full, unskewed truth about you to do so.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on September 29, 2007 at 1:35:48 [Post link]

That's why I'm suggesting it be taken to the PMs. Personal conflicts shouldn't be in public. That way, no one gets publicly shamed without deserving it.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler

Stream: At my age, I qualify for Interordi's socia...

NetNavi:
Black Dranzer.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on September 29, 2007 at 2:43:15 [Post link]

I'm with X, if you want to talk argue about each others personal lives then please take the kid gloves off and use scathing PMs...>_<

Personally, I've had my ass whooped once or twice, and it has done some good; so, I think Wind's base is right, but he's a hair bit too extreme.

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

Unknown

Posted on September 29, 2007 at 6:14:00 [Post link]

Post redacted

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Stream: Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Posted on October 1, 2007 at 23:58:26 [Post link]

I agree 100% with Wind. I was a creature from hell at the ages of 2-5. So my parents hit me with a paddle, shoe, & stick, big deal! Somehow that totally changed my personality for the better. I got greater focusing and cognitive abilities, I was genuinely more polite, and no harm came out of it.

I am a prime example of how corporal punishment, done correctly, can result in a good child.

Edited by Smirnoff on October 2, 2007 at 0:59:29.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 2, 2007 at 1:22:42 [Post link]

So has anyone provided any empirical evidence that proves that corporal punishment works positively?

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Unknown

Posted on October 2, 2007 at 1:31:50 [Post link]

Post redacted

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 2, 2007 at 1:44:55 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by NewWindRider~
I'm sure it's out there, I mean to people who've experienced this kind of thing, it's common sense. The problem here is that in our politically correct bullshit country, if someone did a study on corporal punishment to prove it's EFFECTIVENESS, they'd be tarred, feathered, castrated, taped to a chair and made to watch Martha Stewart Living for weeks on end.

It's just not a safe thing for most people to study, and as well, try finding ONE study that doesn't start out with "We're going to try and prove that corporal punishment is bad" in google.

In other words, the answer is no. Wind, if you're going to debate, make sure you can back up your statements. I mean, there are studies that show it has negative effects, but if those studies are biased--interesting claim to make, since I never specified which studies--"common sense" says that there would be a study that proves the opposite.

I could not tell you if one such existed. Now, obviously absence of evidence is most certainly not evidence of absence. Even so, the lack of such a study seems to indicate something.

Lastly, your argument that it's "common sense" is, in fact, complete and total bullshit. Setting aside the debate on whether or not it even is common sense, provided that it were, it would still be a fallacious argument.

Honestly, it's far too easy to blame the liberals for everything isn't it?

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Pages: 1 2

New topic Reply