Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: iPhone owner sues Apple for $1 million, October 2, 2007 -- Updated 1659 GMT (0059 HKT)

Pages: 1

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 3, 2007 at 1:13:11 [Post link]

Story Highlights

• Dongmei Li of Queens, New York, wants $1 million in damages from Apple
  • Her lawsuit claims Apple violated price discrimination laws
  • Apple cut the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, discontinued 4GB model
  • Apple spokeswoman Susan Lundgren declined to comment on the suit

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- A New York woman is so angry at Apple Inc. for lopping $200 off the price of the iPhone that she's filed a lawsuit seeking $1 million in damages.

Dongmei Li of Queens, New York, claimed the company violated price discrimination laws when it slashed the price of the 8-gigabyte iPhone by a third, from $599 to $399, within two months of the gadget's June debut.

Apple lowered the iPhone's price on September 5 and also said it would stop selling the $499 4-gigabyte model. Hundreds of early customers who paid full price didn't expect a reduction so soon and complained.

Apple issued an apology the next day. Under its return policy, Apple refunded the $200 difference for those who bought the phone within 14 days of the reduction. And in a move to make peace with those who purchased the higher-priced phone before that period, the company offered a $100 credit at Apple stores.

According to Li's lawsuit, filed on September 24 in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, the price reduction injured early purchasers like herself because they cannot resell the product for the same profit as those who bought the cell phone following the price cut.

Li purchased a 4GB iPhone for $499 and alleged that owners of the 4GB model were given less favorable terms than those who bought the 8GB model at the premium price, according to the lawsuit.

Apple spokeswoman Susan Lundgren declined to comment, citing the company's policy to not discuss pending litigation.

The lawsuit also named AT&T Inc., the exclusive carrier in the U.S. for the iPhone, and alleged the two companies' required two-year service contract for the iPhone constituted unfair business practices.

Mark Siegel, an AT&T spokesman, declined to comment, saying he had not yet seen the lawsuit.

Apple lowered the iPhone's price on September 5 and also said it would stop selling the 4-gigabyte model.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/10/02/apple.iphone.lawsuit.ap/index.html

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on October 3, 2007 at 1:43:28 [Post link]

Apparently, this is not fake.

And this woman is greedy. I mean, come on. ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 3, 2007 at 1:44:46 [Post link]

Should she have asked for one million yen instead? :P

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Stream: Huzzah!
Posted on October 3, 2007 at 2:46:21 [Post link]

Hahah. Owned.

If you ask me, this isn't even worth the money if you've already got a phone (which I think most people with enough money to BUY an iPhone probably has).

And for that matter, if you don't need a new souped-up phone you can just get the iPod Touch. :O

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on October 4, 2007 at 15:25:47 [Post link]

That's what you get for not waiting until the prices drop to buy something like an iPhone. I mean, a simple phone can do perhaps one thing less, but hey, it also is a lot cheaper!

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Kia_Purity
Solid Kia

Stream: Naked Raiden cartwheels
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 6:45:12 [Post link]

After all, I got a PS3 (60 gb ver) after the first price drop (dropped by about $100). :D

Waiting is definitely worth it-- that way you can avoid the crowd and get it for much cheaper! Personally, I find the idea of being a "FIRST" a little meaningless because in the long run, it's going to get a little tiring if you have a lot of "FIRSTS" to the point that you can't remember 'em all XP

--Mod of Ioekaki--

Best quotes from IRC:
* DrCossack hits Evan on the head with Zero's thong.
<Kia_Purity> wat <Kia_Purity> "Queen of Interordi" <Kia_Purity> who did that? XD (from april fools '06)
* DragonBlayde thwacks Mega_X with Kia's thongs <Kia_Purity> NOT MY THONGS

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Stream: Huzzah!
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 18:04:04 [Post link]

FIRST WII SHIPMENT ON LAUNCH DAY OMG. :O

But that's kind of significant! Because it came out in North America first and the stores on the East Coast opened first, so I was one of the first people in the public to get my mitts on it. ^_^

God
Not A Feminist

Stream: BREAKING NEWS!: Snape kills Dumbledore.
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 21:40:46 [Post link]

Hey, getting a VG console on opening day (or the gmae itself, or a movie... ) is one thing, that makes you COOL!

Nobody cares what kind of freaking phone you have...

This law suit is stupid, first of all, a lawsuit has to be the result of something, hm, illegal. (Or an injury.)

This "if we lowered the price within whatever-many days we'll refusnd it" policy stores are getting now is bullshit. EVERYTHING will drop in price, unless it's a sale, and if it's a sale, it's a sle for THAT WEKK, not the previous one... "oh shit it's cheaper now" is supposed to be the same thing as "oh well."

And if you're gonna pay $800 for a fucking cell phone then it's your own damn fault for being that stupid to being with :P.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 8, 2007 at 3:34:09 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by God
Hey, getting a VG console on opening day (or the gmae itself, or a movie... ) is one thing, that makes you COOL!

Nobody cares what kind of freaking phone you have...

It's a status symbol. No, I'm completely serious. iPhones make you hip.

Quote:
This law suit is stupid, first of all, a lawsuit has to be the result of something, hm, illegal. (Or an injury.)

She claims they violated price discrimination laws by lowering the price so soon after the initial release.

I'm no expert on price discrimination laws, especially not California's since I know they vary from state to state.

Quote:
This "if we lowered the price within whatever-many days we'll refusnd it" policy stores are getting now is bullshit. EVERYTHING will drop in price, unless it's a sale, and if it's a sale, it's a sle for THAT WEKK, not the previous one... "oh shit it's cheaper now" is supposed to be the same thing as "oh well."

Well, it might be a way to cover their asses legally if this woman is right about the laws. It might just be a token of goodwill so that business will be more likely to continue from that specific customer.

Quote:
And if you're gonna pay $800 for a fucking cell phone then it's your own damn fault for being that stupid to being with :P.

Though I would be inclined to agree, I'd be interested to know how much the iPhone costs to make. If, for instance, it was like the PS3, where the cost of the components exceeded the cost to purchase the product, I'd be more inclined to be favorable to those who wished to buy it.

Oh, and for those whining about the PS3's price, it's still the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on October 8, 2007 at 4:37:54 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mega X.exe
Oh, and for those whining about the PS3's price, it's still the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market.

Oh, yeah, that's saying loads. It's still ridiculously damn expensive. And how many must-have games are on PS3, anyway?

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 8, 2007 at 4:46:41 [Post link]

Yeah, actually it is. Most Blu-ray players are well into the thousands. Considering the cost of making the PS3, it's actually ridiculously damn cheap. That's not even opinion. Sony is selling the PS3 for less than it cost to make.

If you think that's expensive, then how the hell do you deal with markup on everyday things?

And "must-have" is a matter of taste.

Edited by Mega X.exe on October 8, 2007 at 4:48:03.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on October 8, 2007 at 5:00:58 [Post link]

Well, okay, but did they really need to debut a new technology in such a vital piece of hardware as a game console? It's obviously hurting them.

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on October 8, 2007 at 5:08:19 [Post link]

Eh, the PS3 is gonna collapse when its proven that Blu-Ray causes cancer.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on October 8, 2007 at 6:07:45 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by RisingDragon
Eh, the PS3 is gonna collapse when its proven that Blu-Ray causes cancer.

That may be, but HD DVDs give men breasts and women facial hair.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Pages: 1

New topic Reply