New topic Reply

Topic: Major retailers threating to ban steam games

Pages: 1

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 15:50:25 [Post link]

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41746/Retail-threatens-Steam-ban

tl;dr:

"Steam is too great of a service. Because of that, people flock to them and as such a monopoly is created. We do not want to stock products that will rival our own services."

The best part is they really do call steam too great of a service.

MegamanZero66
PS3 Trophy betch.

Stream: Ezio! <3
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 21:41:12 [Post link]

Oh no, they better not being thinking of banning Steam. Unless they want Steam people to stop buying CD-copies of games entirely. If they do ban, they sure as hell better give all the Steam users hard copies of the games they spent cash on.

EDIT: Totally didn't read it right. Thought they were DELETING Steam. LOL

Edited by MegamanZero66 on November 12, 2010 at 3:44:27.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on November 12, 2010 at 5:25:47 [Post link]

I don't know how it is in the UK, but around here, the selection of PC games in-store isn't half of what it used to be. Several titles still make it to the shelves, most notably MMORPGs and high-profile games, but many releases are now available on Steam only. For them to limit the products on display, I think it'll only hurt their sales as the customers will go somewhere else or immediately go with the downloadable. I see their point, and I agree to a certain degree, but I don't think that this action would have much of an effect.

If I have the choice between a game box and a Steam purchase, I'll get the box. If said box game still requires Steam, perhaps for preventing illegal copies, then I know that I won't have the choice to use it anyway. I'd rather get something not tied to any external system, but I'd say that this is better than having a nasty rootkit installed by Ubisoft and similar companies.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply