User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Games I'm playing, Mini-reviews and musings

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 25, 2011 at 4:43:24 [Post link]

I'm opening this topic to talk about the various videogames I'm playing, and to give my comments on them. In many cases, I want to post about a game yet I don't feel like I have enough content to create a whole new topic, so I'll be using this one as a common ground. :) Feel free to comment on whatever game I'm playing at the moment, of course!

---

Right before going on vacation, I picked up Dead or Alive Dimensions for my Nintendo 3DS. I wanted a new game to play on the go, and I had been curious for a while to pick up a new fighter. I've got to say that I wasn't disappointed: this is a solid game, and the first 3DS game now available that I care about.

It's the first Dead or Alive title that I even tried, so I jumped in a bit blind with no assumptions outside of a few known facts. What I got is a solid fighter, with a lot of characters and stages to choose from, and some fun gameplay. The music is surprisingly catchy too, I must say that I wasn't expecting that out of a fighting game.

The game makes no compromise because it's on a portable system: it's a full experience, with plenty of options to choose from and solid controls that don't drag you down. I especially like the moves list that can be displayed on the bottom screen. It's a great reminder of the possible combos and moves.

The Chronicles mode retells the core plotline of the main four games in the series. Unfortunately, the presentation is messy at best: it gives the impression that the series has a complex lore, but the way the Chronicles mode jumps from scene to scene leads to a lot of confusion and little structure. That's too bad, because it got me curious about several details of the franchise, and it's the only negative point I can give to the game.

This completely replaced my first 3DS game (Lego Star Wars) as the one I want to play, and I don't think I'll be looking back. I'll probably play some matches online once I get a better grip of the combo and counter systems. Feel free to catch me there if you want!

Edited by Dr. Cossack on June 24, 2011 at 23:44:01

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on June 25, 2011 at 20:26:29 [Post link]

So you did get it :D sounds excellent, however,
you should start going online as soon/right after you learn how to play and beat CPU's. Why?

1.You'll meet with other people who barely know how to play, thus giving you experience on PvP before you get destroyed once the good/experts start coming in later.
2.You'll learn strategies
3.You can observe how people play characters, and assimilate their knowledge into your collective experience.
4.You'll learn alternate move usages.
5.Finally, you can look at the character the other guy is using, and say "Is the other guy good? Do I want to main him above my own Main?"

That good enough?

Note: I main SETH in SF4, and I have learned several strategies to keep him alive online.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on June 1, 2012 at 3:26:28 [Post link]

Quote from post #227741:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Right before going on vacation, I picked up Dead or Alive Dimensions for my Nintendo 3DS.

It's been a year since I purchased this game, and to this day I'm still playing it at least once a week. Others have come and gone, but the cartridge for this one is always near my 3DS. I ended up playing mostly as Ayane, and at this point I'm pretty much wiping the floor with any CPU characters the game throws at me, throwing combos like mad and evading attacks as gracefully as possible. Only two missions gave me a lot of trouble, and I beat for the first time the 100-man survival challenge three weeks ago!

Heck, I've got a music track from the game playing right now!

Console-wise, I've started up on Xenoblade Chronicles not long ago and I'm playing it slowly but steadily. I'm impressed so far: the game design feels quite modern for a Japanese RPG, with none of the common annoyances that usually come with those games. The fact that you can simply walk by most enemies if you decide not to engage a fight allows you to explore much more freely!

Being for the Wii, the graphics don't have that shiny HD look but the team managed to develop a solid style that works very well. There are lots of details, the distance from which you can see far away elements is often impressive, and the world itself feels alive thanks to all kind of movements everywhere. The soundtrack is equally as enjoyable, it clearly shows that they hand-picked real talent to put this together.

I'm looking forward to see how the game unfolds from here!

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on June 13, 2012 at 1:10:13 [Post link]

How far are you in Xenoblade? I haven't touched it for awhile myself, but not due to lack of interest but just a busy life schedule.

I think I just entered Satori Marsh myself.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on June 13, 2012 at 4:29:38 [Post link]

I'm now heading to Colony 6 for the first time.

I'm not as far as I wished I was, I've been jumping in and out of it since I started playing some weeks back. Like you, that has nothing to do with the game itself, I'm just having trouble sitting down to have some quality gaming time in front of the TV!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on September 26, 2012 at 15:10:47 [Post link]

Pages: 1

New topic Reply