Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Sega streamlining it's business, Bad news ahead?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on April 2, 2012 at 16:36:35 [Post link]

Sega is apparently in a bad position, as the company is cancelling games and laying off employees. Basically, they're killing some projects currently in development while others will be published by other groups. They'll focus on four franchises only for the time being: Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, and Aliens.

When you start dropping everything but your core properties, that's when you know the situation is getting serious. Sega has a long history for launching games that are "out there" in concept, and show a good deal of originality. Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Chu Chu Rocket, The Rub Rabbits, Madworld, The Conduit and others are all titles that focused on creativity and going into new directions instead of simply applying an existing formula on an old concept. I think it's a loss for the industry as a whole if they stop spending time on such projects...

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on April 2, 2012 at 21:26:38 [Post link]

Sega had a franchise that wasn't Sonic? :k

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on April 6, 2012 at 0:27:07 [Post link]

Quote from post #230089:
Originally posted by RisingDragon

My thoughts exactly.

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler

Stream: At my age, I qualify for Interordi's socia...

NetNavi:
Black Dranzer.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on April 6, 2012 at 15:10:26 [Post link]

Quote from post #230089:
Originally posted by RisingDragon

Virtua Tennis :B

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on April 6, 2012 at 19:32:11 [Post link]

Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza is pretty popular in Japan and has a niche following in the West.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on July 1, 2012 at 2:14:22 [Post link]

And it continues, with the European and Australian divisions seriously scaling back.

I don't like this.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Michael Jackson Hat Fluttershy Derpy Hooves ... and 20 more

NetNavi:
KARATE003号.EXE
Z-license
Level: 17 [What's this?]
Posted on July 1, 2012 at 23:27:11 [Post link]

Gotta love corporate spin. "A new and exciting phase" so new and exciting that half our employees won't be here anymore! How exciting is that?

I wonder if Inafune really hates being right.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on November 2, 2012 at 20:37:06 [Post link]

Surprise, surprise, they aren't selling a whole lot of games anymore!

Of course, a strategy shift means that it'll take a while before revenues reach the expected levels. That doesn't bug me. However, Sega as a whole sold only 2.7 million games in half a year (in Japan only?), and I find that number awfully low.

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on December 10, 2012 at 23:55:27 [Post link]

Pretty much every non sonic game I've played in the last... oh... decade has been garbage. If I didn't get it out of the 10$ bin at Walmart, I was angry with myself for the money I spent. Even Sonic is starting to get old. About half the Sonic games that come out are either designed to appeal strictly to the 12 and under crowd or are forgettable.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply