Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: How do/did you decide what study to pick?, Because frack it.

Pages: 1

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on August 5, 2012 at 18:49:02 [Post link]

After 4 years, I've finally had it with my dual Philosophy/Psychology studies and decided to quit them. I've passed all the Philosophy classes I liked or was good at with ease on the first go, but have failed near half a dozen times on a handful of subjects, which yet remain. Psychology is more of a side-studies which was going to be my main one later on, but due to it requiring high mastery of statistics -- a subject that's been harder for me than French and Latin for Christ's sake -- I can't make the switch to a full Psychology study either.

At the end of highschool, people often get the option of doing tests to decide what studies fit them, or what jobs fit them. I was never formally offered the option, nor decided to do one online on my own, because I was much less independant back then and had far less self-knowledge and self-confidence. I'm currently taking some of these tests, but honestly, I'm not sure how much they'll help. In the past few months I've consistently grown more cynical and pessimestic, whereas for years I've been the one person to always turn situations positive or cheer people up, and that thought alone adds further weight to my pessimism.

Frankly, I'd like to break out of that and start a new study, something that fits me better, preferably something also that could earn me plenty of money in the end, but that's much less of a concern, really. As such, I'd like to ask y'all: what did you do to pick your study?

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on August 6, 2012 at 14:08:46 [Post link]

I've been fascinated by those computer things ever since I got to handle one back in Elementary school, and that interest didn't let go in the following years. I was always trying to get more out of the machine, make it do what it wasn't explicitely programmed to. From that point of view, studying in Computer Science felt like the natural choice to make. I've stuck with it, earned two degrees, and am now working in the field.

I did some of the orientation tests you mentioned. They didn't really do anything to me but confirmed what I already knew: that I wanted to work in an area requiring some level of expertise, something more cerebral than physical and that was definitely science-oriented, not artistic.

You mention studying both French and Latin, and having a dislike for statistics. Did you ever consider taking something in the languages area, either as a translator or something else related? There's always some demand for those positions.

P.S.: Don't worry about hating the statistics classes, I hated all those I had over the years despite liking the subject itself.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on August 6, 2012 at 16:27:47 [Post link]

Quote from post #230830:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
You mention studying both French and Latin, and having a dislike for statistics. Did you ever consider taking something in the languages area, either as a translator or something else related? There's always some demand for those positions.

The reference to French and Latin was mainly because those were hard subjects by themselves that I hated, but statistics even more. The only languages in highschool I didn't loathe were Dutch, English and German.

I took some of those interest tests now, and curiously enough the first Psychology-related study was in place number... 307. 307.

The top 25 studies that fit me best according to that test (which came highly recommended), had about 4 electro technology studies, which I was interested in in highschool and one of the physics subjects that I did pretty decent in, though it's been too long now to recall much of it.

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 9 and 10 in the results? All had to do something with Game Design. It just figures really. While I love being artistic, I haven't done much of it in a long time mainly because of growing up with a stigma against it in the family (same for music, while I actually really want to learn it). One of the five studies apparently focuses on "animation and storywriting", the latter being incredibly fitting for me. A friend of mine told me he's going to study that this year. I dunno yet though. While I don't wish to primarily choose a study for the job opportunities, I have doubts with regards to gaming studies.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on August 18, 2012 at 2:05:25 [Post link]

I'm majoring in Human Services, focused on being a client centered therapist specializing in trauma. I went through the list of available courses, Human Services looked like it would pay pretty well and give me the skills to cover a diverse range of jobs in the field. In addition to that, I figured it would be the best study to pursue to better myself. Mostly the potential 120,000 USD per year income in private practice, though.

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on September 9, 2012 at 23:53:39 [Post link]

God
Not A Feminist

Stream: BREAKING NEWS!: Snape kills Dumbledore.
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 8:53:54 [Post link]

Pages: 1

New topic Reply