Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Chunks of Wisdom, Share yours!

Pages: 1

FlareMan
DMN #007

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 20:23:16 [Post link]

FlareMan, here! But if you play on the server, you know me better as "Jazz".

I've decided to open another, hopefully-stickied thread where I can share my various tips and secrets. Some of these things will be juicy tidbits everyone would like to know, whereas others will be general common-sense things for newbies.

To help you find some particular advice, this post will be updated as much as possible into a "table of contents" so you can quick-search what tips are available and have been posted.

~Basic Tips~
Tip #1: Tool Prioritizing

~Advanced Tips~
No tips, yet...

Edited by FlareMan on February 8, 2013 at 14:23:26

Edited by FlareMan on February 8, 2013 at 14:31:45

Back from another thousand-year hibernation.

FlareMan
DMN #007

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 20:30:54 [Post link]

And now, to kick things off, here's some Basic Advice about tool usage and crafting.

The first tool I ever make is a wooden pickaxe, which I quickly use to find some stone and make STONE tools out of.

All throughout my survival game, I continue to make shovels and axes out of cobblestone. Iron tools tend to not be much faster, and only have an endurance advantage. In which case, keep in mind that unless you find some sinister way to farm those gentle, stalwart iron golems (you monster...), then save the iron for important stuff like picks and swords. MAYBE armor.

Eventually you'll have access to lava and buckets, at which point you should try to build a cobblestone generator.

While it's true you can get stone pretty much everywhere, having a generator at home will save you a trip to the caves just to make some new tools.

Just starting off, I use the same rules for diamonds. Picks and Swords only. Otherwise they have other uses as jukeboxes and enchantment tables.

Back from another thousand-year hibernation.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on February 13, 2013 at 4:45:39 [Post link]

One rule of thumb that served me well: iron armor.

If you're working outside of a town's limits, or are on a dig and want to stay alive, a full set of iron armor is a must. If you're starting up, it's quite expensive at 24 iron ingots. However, that set of armor is able to withstand even a creeper explosion at point-blank range, meaning that a single moment of inattention won't cost you your life!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

MaximumRose
Contributor
Helper

Posted on February 15, 2013 at 15:48:51 [Post link]

Totally agree with all of this, but I don't understand the point of a cobblestone generator. Maybe somebody could tell me why it's so useful?

Anyway here are some tips:
1. Mine at level twelve, once you've got your first iron pickaxe. Be careful doing it, because there's a lot of lava down there, but it has the highest concentration of diamond for any height on the map.
2. Have a sugar cane farm. Villagers love to trade paper, and it's really easy to get absurd amounts of it.
3. Enchant EVERYTHING. Cory taught me this one. Even if you can only do it a couple of levels, it's worth it to just pop it in the table and try it. You can always make it better later.
4. When mining, always bring some wood with you. You will need it.
5. Wheat farms are worth it. Cows, pigs, sheep, and chickens no longer respawn, so food is scarce. You can capture these mobs, but you'll need wheat to breed the cows and sheep anyway, so it's a good idea to just make the farm.

I'll post more later. Hope this helps.

Phrogie
Not a tasty, potato snack

Posted on February 22, 2013 at 0:03:32 [Post link]

Cobblestone generator is good in areas that have been well-mined. It's also a good thing to have if you don't want to stray far from home. Although I don't use it often, I have a small one in my main basecamp.

This is more of an advanced tip, as it requires you to have enchanted items and an anvil.

If you're using an anvil to repair enchanted items, the FIRST thing you want to do is spend some XP and give that item a custom name. Otherwise, what happens is every time you repair an item, it'll cost more the next time... until eventually you get that dreaded message "Too expensive." For whatever reason, naming the item makes it so that the cost for repairing remains the same each time. (Here's hoping that this isn't a bug they plan on fixing in the future.)

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on February 22, 2013 at 1:44:11 [Post link]

If you're ever travelling with MaximumRose, make sure to let her lead the way. If there's something dangerous in the landscape or around the corner in that dark cave, she will find it. Or it will find her. Either way, you won't have to worry about dying horribly! But you may have to hear Rose curse like a sailor :/

Phrogie
Not a tasty, potato snack

Posted on February 24, 2013 at 18:25:19 [Post link]

Quote from post #231595:
Originally posted by WindRider739
...But you may have to hear Rose curse like a sailor :/

Which is dang amusing in person. You just don't expect to hear such language coming from someone so little and cute!

MaximumRose
Contributor
Helper

Posted on February 25, 2013 at 7:39:18 [Post link]

'scuse me I curse like a trucker, thank you.

Another pro tip!

When idling, do not leave yourself in a place where other, more mischievous players can get at you. You may end up on a roller coaster with a cow!

An Actual tip!

Most of the clay on the server is gone, but if you go to unexplored areas and find a swamp, make sure to look around! Usually the clay is close to the surface and abundant!

A tip about the server specifically!

Trade. People like to trade. You might have something somebody else wants or vice versa. Specifically trade with me, because I need a whole lotta clay and bricks right now and I pay really well!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on February 25, 2013 at 12:20:28 [Post link]

Quote from post #231606:
Originally posted by MaximumRose
Most of the clay on the server is gone, but if you go to unexplored areas and find a swamp, make sure to look around! Usually the clay is close to the surface and abundant!

And, for those who do want to hunt for clay, in swamps or oceans, I highly recommend Night Vision potions. Not only do they help you see at night, as the name indicates, they also turn the water into an almost completely transparent blue. Deposits of clay become MUCH easier to find that way!

Edited by Dr. Cossack on February 25, 2013 at 10:38:38

Attached image:

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply