Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Ys series thread, fantasy action RPGs with glorious music!

Pages: 1

Glenn Magus Harvey
Lead character

Posted on May 8, 2013 at 22:19:55 [Post link]

Anyone else here play the games?

Once upon a time I tried playing the NES Ys 1 and I didn't really get anywhere, but more recently, I got Ys: the Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin on Steam.

Those two games are glorious.

Ys Oath, a remake of Ys III, is a hard game and really makes you earn your victories, but is very fulfillling at the same time. Not to mention that the area music tracks are brilliant. Well, the entire soundtrack is brilliant but the area tracks (such as for the Illburns Ruins, the fire cave, and the final dungeon) are especially brilliant.

Ys Origin is an entirely new game, and comes with three characters, each of whom has a slightly different storyline (with different bosses!). The music is also stellar, and I think it has better boss themes than Oath does. Also, the bosses feel a bit fairer than in Oath. I've beaten the game with Yunica, but not Hugo nor the unlockable character yet. But I actually want to replay this game again -- which is nearly unheard of from me. And I've even been messing around with the time attack mode (where you get to fight the bosses).

Ys I & II Chronicles is also on Steam, and those two use the "bump" combat system that's unique to the Ys series's earlier games. I haven't gotten these two games yet, though.

It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on May 9, 2013 at 2:53:56 [Post link]

oh man, I love Ys.

I played Oath of Felgana (sort of..not really) recently, it was really good.

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on May 9, 2013 at 3:16:28 [Post link]

Oath in Felghana is fucking hard. It's got a weird difficulty curve to me, in that it's tough until you get the dungeon item, then it's way too easy, then you get stuck on the boss for a while until you memorize him perfectly.

Glenn Magus Harvey
Lead character

Posted on May 9, 2013 at 11:28:16 [Post link]

It's only way too easy because you've gotten used to it being hard.

Though yeah, I know what you mean. Doesn't happen for every dungeon, but the most notable one is the fire cave, where the tiny bugs will decimate you until you acquire the whirlwind attack, which allows you to decimate them.

It reminded me of La-Mulana's forcing you to swim through damaging water to get the item that allows you to swim through water without taking damage.

But then it just feels SO GOOD when you swirl through the bugs and are like I DON'T HAVE TO RUN AWAY FROM YOU ANY MORE, JERKS!

Edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on May 9, 2013 at 7:32:36

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Posted on May 10, 2013 at 4:56:06 [Post link]

Quote from post #232117:
Originally posted by The Helldragon
Oath in Felghana is fucking hard. It's got a weird difficulty curve to me, in that it's tough until you get the dungeon item, then it's way too easy, then you get stuck on the boss for a while until you memorize him perfectly.

Maybe you just suck at Ys

Speaking of sucking at Ys, I hate it when people say it's like Zelda. It's not like Zelda, it's not puzzly really

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on May 10, 2013 at 5:48:12 [Post link]

Quote from post #232123:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
Quote from post #232117:
Originally posted by The Helldragon

Maybe you just suck at Ys

Point still stands either way.

Glenn Magus Harvey
Lead character

Posted on May 11, 2013 at 22:23:36 [Post link]

No, it actually IS hard. Compared to most games out there. They took care to design these games so that simply rushing in and killing everything without watching your health bar isn't going to work after the first couple dungeons. And the bosses almost ALWAYS aim for you, and almost never use generic spamming techniques (unless they use it to an insane degree). Though I think that it's actually possible to dodge every boss's attacks (except maybe a few). It's clearly designed to make it clear that you face unfriendly circumstances but the potential for success lies in your hands.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Posted on May 14, 2013 at 18:30:54 [Post link]

And that is why Ys is so great. You actually have to use your brain--GASP--! instead of lather, rinse, repeat.

I hate hard games, but stupid hard. Impossibly hard. "I'm going to brag to my nerd friends" hard. But I've always gotten through Ys games with no trouble, just perseverance.

Also Chester is a pretty cool guy

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Posted on May 14, 2013 at 21:31:00 [Post link]

I'm not saying Ys is unfair. I'll clarify that. And I did sit down and work through the first few bosses, and I can appreciate that. But it seems so uneven, how the game's designed. And ultimately it wasn't fun for me. I don't play most games like projects, I'll admit that. Most practice I've done as of late is in Puzzle League.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply