New topic Reply

Topic: Attack on Titan

Pages: 1

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 1:06:17 [Post link]

I'm not an anime person but I got sucked into this pretty quick. The basics are this: humans are on the brink of extinction due to the Titans, giant human-like creatures who feast on humankind, with seemingly no reason other to kill (scouts have gone out and confirmed they don't need to eat to survive).

What littles left of the human population has been confined to a large city with giant walls that keep the titans out. One day, a giant Titan appears from nowhere and brings the first wall down, allowing the Titans to finally breach the city after 100 years and feast. 20% of humanity is lost in a single day and what's left retreat even further inward behind the second wall.

Things happen, people die, it's all very depressing really. It does a good job of keeping morality low; every time the story seems to take a turn for the positive things go south in the worst way imaginable. For example, in one of the earliest episodes the main character has an optimistic monologue only to have a huge titan attack cut him off mid-thought. It's not an anime that's really fun to watch given the brutality and depression of it all, but it's an interesting story if that makes sense.

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 15:25:42 [Post link]

It certainly is really interesting, and I've been following it fervously.

If I may correct you though, the 20% of humanity that lived between the outer and middle walls wasn't all lost in a single day, only a small amount of them (mostly from the village the main characters are from). All the others (minus non-able-bodied people, including the main characters, who were too young at the time) died later, as part of a makeshift force to attempt to drive out the Titans and reclaim their land. Obviously, this failed spectacularly.

It's been a while since I've watched a show where every time something seems to go well, it turns incredibly bad right at the end of the episode.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 15:51:32 [Post link]

Quote from post #232201:
Originally posted by Morphman

If I may correct you though, the 20% of humanity that lived between the outer and middle walls wasn't all lost in a single day

Welp, time to find a new set of subs.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 18:25:47 [Post link]

It sounds cool, but the vid posted looks like run-of-the-mill japcrap animu. Maybe the actual show is better.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 23:34:39 [Post link]

The intro does look generic, but then, don't judge a book by it's cover. I like the idea behind this one, and I'm a sucker for apocalyptic / post-apocalyptic scenarios. Maybe it's worth a look. :)

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on July 6, 2013 at 7:15:55 [Post link]

So has anyone actually bothered watching this? 13 episodes in and I'm still invested.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on July 7, 2013 at 5:26:45 [Post link]

I've watched the first twelve episodes so far, and I have to agree with you that it's really, really well done. The intro clip you posted didn't do much for me, but the show itself is far more interesting. I like unpredictable stories once in a while, and Attack on Titan does it well. I quite like the character drawing style they have going, too, it stands out compared to other shows that all seem to share a generic style. I highly recommend it!

The "optimistic monologue" part you mentioned really struck me. Immediate and drastic shift of tone, right there. I totally didn't see it coming!

Is there any word yet on how many episodes we can expect? Many series like to end at 26, which is fine, but I'm wondering if they'll go for more.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on July 7, 2013 at 5:44:18 [Post link]

25 planned episodes, but given it's popularity I wouldn't be surprised to see a continuation -- there's an ongoing manga right now so there's definitely a lot of content to build off from. As a matter of fact (assuming my friends who actually read the manga are to be believed, I asked them to not go into details for my own sake obviously) at the current pace episode 25 should be ending on a "massive cliffhanger" whatever that implies.

Edited by TopHat on July 6, 2013 at 22:47:57

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on July 8, 2013 at 8:29:39 [Post link]

Quote from post #232305:
Originally posted by TopHat
25 planned episodes, but given it's popularity I wouldn't be surprised to see a continuation -- there's an ongoing manga right now so there's definitely a lot of content to build off from. As a matter of fact (assuming my friends who actually read the manga are to be believed, I asked them to not go into details for my own sake obviously) at the current pace episode 25 should be ending on a "massive cliffhanger" whatever that implies.

Spoiler alert: they're actually hanging from a massive cliff.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Posted on July 14, 2013 at 23:45:31 [Post link]

The second half of the season has started airing and with it comes a new opening, let's see if it does anything for the "generic looking" crowd.

Edited by TopHat on July 17, 2013 at 14:52:34

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 15:57:09 [Post link]

Shitty 3D pan and scan, I'M SOLD (I'm not)

The "overly detailed smiling guy showing teeth" was pretty cool but then I realized why it was--it looked like Guts from Berserk.

And the blood on the windows was cool then I recalled that happened in Monster. So all this trailer did was remind me that I still need to watch that Berserk movie that came out 2 years ago

Yllisos Zanon
Free Lance Bestiality

Stream: Are you sure you wanna know
Posted on July 7, 2014 at 0:05:34 [Post link]

Thanks to you Tophat, I watched several of these episodes, because I never heard of it. I am enjoying the show, it does have it's own uniqueness about it that sepurates it from the other anime's. Really, I thank you.

Generally thinking though. I have been doing some digging, What has been done, What has not been done. That is why I like this show. It's different, out of place compared to other animes.

Edited by Yllisos Zanon on July 7, 2014 at 1:09:01

Their coming to take me away, hee hee haw haw hoo hoo
----------------------
You cannot kill what you did not create

Pages: 1

New topic Reply