Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 9:10:42 [Post link]

VII is now in the Steam store. Allegedly, FFVIII is also going to be coming soon.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 13:46:04 [Post link]

This is something that people might not remember anymore, but Final Fantasy VII had a PC release alongside the PS1 version. It's the one I played through.

This Steam edition is an improved version of the existing PC release, which allows it to run on modern computers without hassle. You're basically getting the same game; the graphics weren't improved or anything, but they added achievements and a cloud-based saving system. I'm assuming that the upcoming VIII will follow the same pattern. I wouldn't expect to see IX show up, though, as that one didn't get a PC version back in the day.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 17:56:58 [Post link]

LOL CLOUD based saving system. I see what they did there!

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 18:26:32 [Post link]

Quote from post #232291:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
This is something that people might not remember anymore, but Final Fantasy VII had a PC release alongside the PS1 version. It's the one I played through.

That one was just a port released later on, right?

I haven't played VII myself. I've only completed a bunch of non-numerical FF games (besides I in Dawn of Souls) and played through parts of a handful of numerical ones (III, IV, V, VI, and iirc X). With how much the first six have been ported, I wonder if any of them will end up on PC Digital Distribution as well.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 18:48:14 [Post link]

Quote from post #232293:
Originally posted by Morphman
Quote from post #232291:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack

That one was just a port released later on, right?

It wasn't released at the same moment, but it was close enough for me not to be aware of the delay. This was before most people compared release dates on the Internet and complained about a few months! The PC version itself wasn't much different from the original, except that it had higher-res 3D models (640x480!) and lower quality soundtrack (MIDI!).

Square appears to be making a push toward the PC, with hints that more titles from the series could be making the jump. I'd like to see that happen.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on July 5, 2013 at 0:17:48 [Post link]

I hear it's got always on DRM, which makes sense, since I don't know how else they're going to maintain the materia auction house.

Ha ha yeah, no thanks.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on July 7, 2013 at 1:25:06 [Post link]

Must have FF8 for Steam.

Always on DRM for a game that is SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD?

Pages: 1

New topic Reply