User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Amplified maps look neat

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on October 31, 2013 at 15:14:22 [Post link]

I discovered the amplified map type a few days ago, and decided to give it a spin.

Newly added in MC 1.7, those maps feature the same biomes as expected with the notable difference that they stretch UP. Most of the tall mountains peak at about y=250, and those are found in every biome type except a few obvious ones like oceans. They create insanely complex mountains with holes in them along with floating islands, and remind me quite a bit of the pre-beta 1.7 extreme hills areas. I made a test world and took a bunch of screenshots, click on them for a bigger version.

This is obviously not suitable for a regular Minecraft world. Flat areas are hard to come by, deaths by falling are very frequent, and the complex land requires more computing power than usual. People who complain about lag now might have a hard time moving in such areas. Yet, this looks really impressive and I'd be curious to see how people would get creative in such a strange and different environment.

Now, I'm playing with an idea. We'll eventually move to MC 1.7, and we trimmed parts of the map. What if a *section* of the world was generated like this, or a parallel world was made, using a map with a limited size? Would you be interested in that? Do you think it's worth it?

I'd be curious to have your thoughts.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on October 31, 2013 at 16:13:45 [Post link]

Can't be a BAD thing! Looks like a party.

Septina
Contributor
Robot master

Posted on October 31, 2013 at 17:03:24 [Post link]

I would LOVE an alternate world where I could build in places like these... I can already imagine a dwarf stronghold in the stone mountain side that goes up to sky limit.

inflammo
Don't argue insanity, I AM INSANITY!

Posted on October 31, 2013 at 19:15:36 [Post link]

holy cow, that generation looks ridiculous, we definitively should have some sort of access to this cool looking terrain.

Stream I sometimes use
http://www.twitch.tv/inflammo66

AshaLina
Contributor
Ashsome

Stream: minecraftttttttttt
Posted on October 31, 2013 at 20:00:42 [Post link]

:O how do we get it DOC

<Ash3

AshaLina
Contributor
Ashsome

Stream: minecraftttttttttt
Posted on October 31, 2013 at 20:01:19 [Post link]

amplified hardcore world! :D

<Ash3

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on October 31, 2013 at 20:10:11 [Post link]

Quote from post #232655:
Originally posted by AshaLina
:O how do we get it DOC

I'm just floating the idea, it's not like you can find it on the server right now. :)

Mind you, switching that hypothetical world's difficulty to Hard would probably be appropriate!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Septina
Contributor
Robot master

Posted on October 31, 2013 at 21:48:07 [Post link]

i am willing to donate more to help support the ram upgraded needed to support this alternate world too.. pretty please Doc. I think it would be awesome addition to Creeper's Lab.

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on November 1, 2013 at 0:05:27 [Post link]

I think an alternate really difficult map would be great. Just straight up hard-vanilla with mob griefing and all!

DiKatze
Contributor
Deutsch Neko

Posted on November 1, 2013 at 6:33:13 [Post link]

Quote from post #232653:
Originally posted by Septina
I would LOVE an alternate world where I could build in places like these... I can already imagine a dwarf stronghold in the stone mountain side that goes up to sky limit.

I second dwarf stronghold!

Langsley
Minecraft op
Contributor
Servbot

Badges: Zenny 100 credits 150 credits 100 credits

NetNavi:
Firestorm.EXE
Z-license
Level: 18 [What's this?]
Posted on November 8, 2013 at 23:05:50 [Post link]

THAT sounds awesome. I'd probably barely be able to move, but give me a hole in the wall that I can mob-proof, and I'll hollow out a mountain from within. XD

SorathePumpking
Contributor
Minecraft helper
Death itself

Badges: Squid beaker

NetNavi:
Pumpkin.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on November 11, 2013 at 10:56:11 [Post link]

Quote from post #232659:
Originally posted by WindRider739
I think an alternate really difficult map would be great. Just straight up hard-vanilla with mob griefing and all!

I'm game for that. Except for mob greifing, the world would be crater-ridden in days. Especially on hard

Pages: 1

New topic Reply