Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
1 April 2014 - By Doctacosa
Cyber Grid is one year old as of today! The real launch has yet to happen, since the game is still being tested and core features developed, but I'd like to take the time to thank everyone who tried to engage in battles so far!

I figured the moment would be right for an update on the situation of the game. People took a liking to it immediately after launch, but one issue became quickly apparent: it's very unbalanced, as whoever gets the chance to play first will often win. Some discussions later, most of us agreed that defensive actions needed to be added. That's what I've been working on since last summer as the main priority for this project.

It's taking time to reach that point due to two main reasons:
1- It's a complex task that requires rewriting much of the current battle engine. Making it work for both PvP and battles against NPCs is proving to be tricky.
2- The popularity of the Creeper's Lab has required me to spend more time than anticipated over it to ensure that everything is running smoothly.

I've been trying to eliminate some elements from my schedule to give me a chance to get things really moving, and have been slowly fixing bugs in the defense system in the past several weeks. I can't promise any release deadline at this moment, although I'd like to reassure everyone that I very much want to make this a thing.

Long live Battle Network and Cyber Grid!

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork
Inactive
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Emi Ibarazaki
Emi Ibarazaki
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Rin Tezuka
Rin Tezuka
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 18 more

More power to ya, Doc. I'm definitely eager to continue playtesting and offering feedback. By any chance, besides defensive actions, do you know what other "big wins" you want to tackle with the game first?

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Beyond the defense system, what I'd like to include for an improved first version is focused around the following points:

- Chip effects (paralyze, freeze, confuse, blind, healing bonus, chip break and so on) to allow a greater variety of moves and strategies in battle. Part of the Battle Network experience is focused on the tactics one decides to use, and we need more options to that front. Everything, from Navis to viruses and chips will benefit from this.

- A better indication of the battle flow in multiplayer, with clearer display of damage received and dealt from/to opponents. Reading the battle log provides the information, but key details should be more visible. This is part of the visual refresh that comes from the defense system.

- An improved way to select battles to fight against the computer. The current set of tiers was put together very quickly as I was running out of time and is no way what I want to have eventually. As a start, there should be several groups of opponents available to be fought, possibly of rising difficulty, so that a player can't be stuck on a single battle (hellooooo, ProtoMan V2!) and unable to do any further progress.

There are also the ongoing goals of bug fixes and improvement to the game balance, of course.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)