User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Seasonal maps / events?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on April 7, 2015 at 17:53:16 [Post link]

I was talking to Wind a few days ago and he came up with a core idea for seasonal maps and events. Basically, there would be a temporary world added to the server that'd get rotated after each major holiday or season. I like the concept and think it'd be neat if we had, say, 5 or 6 different periods a year with each featuring a special map on a given theme. Contests and events might also take place in those temporary locations, not unlike last summer's Botanical Garden contest. Sounds fun, right? :)

Now, of course, comes the topic on which themes would be used. I can already think of the following:

March/April: Easter
October: Halloween
December: Christmas

Which major holidays or seasons would you add to that, ensuring that things are more-or-less spread out over an entire year?

I know that some of you might be tempted to go all "Thanksgiving!!", but I'd like to keep things as country-neutral as possible. Some happenings like Halloween aren't very widespread in, say, Europe, but are at least known and have a strong enough theme to be interesting.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Coneva
Robot master

Posted on April 7, 2015 at 18:42:57 [Post link]

New year's in jan/feb- both the traditional and Chinese New Year would fit and be neat (best firework display contest?). The Chinese New Year would offer some pretty neat theme/ideas.
July/aug fit as "the dog days of summer" - - getting ideas for that? (Some kind of dog challenge, or water hunt in a dessert world.. Hmm)
Halloween is the epitome of fall for me, so just need somethin for May/June- the beginning of summer. (Again, gardens come to mind)

I like the idea :)

LordItachi
Minecraft op
lorditachi

NetNavi:
Itachi.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on April 8, 2015 at 13:30:51 [Post link]

Adding to what Coneva said about Chinese New Year, the world for that could be modeled off of an ancient Chinese city or village.

The water hunt in a dessert could be nice, especially with the option to make water spawn less in world generating

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on April 8, 2015 at 14:42:22 [Post link]

Summer sand castle building contest!

Sage
News reporter
All Business.

Stream: You know, I miss a lot of you.

NetNavi:
UgandaKnuckles.EXE
Z-license
Level: 10 [What's this?]
Posted on April 8, 2015 at 17:07:14 [Post link]

Quote from post #236145:
Originally posted by WindRider739

Where is the like button for this?

I like all of these ideas. I think season based events would be fantastic; halloween and christmas could be an all out thing. I think Wind could come up with some creepy stuff for halloween.

As far as other seasons holidays go; what about St. Patricks day?

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on April 8, 2015 at 17:49:16 [Post link]

Quote from post #236146:
Originally posted by Dr. Light
Quote from post #236145:
Originally posted by WindRider739

Where is the like button for this?

Seconded. That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Exodio
Contributor
Lead character

Badges: 100 credits 50 credits

NetNavi:
Creative.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on April 9, 2015 at 4:42:24 [Post link]

I like where the conversation is going. Rather than scheduling strictly based on Holiday stuff, make events that tie in somehow with the season.

- Summer July/Aug - Sand Castle
- Autumn - New England Fall Colors
- December - STAR WARS

- Jan/Feb - Snowball Fight - Snow forts!
- March/April - Stonehenge / Druidic / Pagan Springtime
- June - 1950s Style Neighborhood (June Cleaver)
- August - Roman Empire (Augustus Caesar). Bonus points for references to the end of the Republic
- October Revolution - Russian style neighborhood
- December - Mayan Structures (Extra points for incorporating End of the World predictions)

- February Valentine's Day Massacre - 1920s era Chicago style
- April Fools! Pranks, jokes and anything amusing
- July - Bastille Day! Celebrate the French Revolution. Bonus points for a working Guillotine
- October 24 - UN Day - Buildings or themes from around the world! Except for from non-UN participating outcast countries.
- New Years Eve - New Year Resolutions. Build your favorite failed resolution!

Coneva
Robot master

Posted on April 9, 2015 at 13:45:49 [Post link]

I love wind's suggestion for sand castles! And also Exo's suggestions- specifically snow forts and snowball fights! That could be encouraged to be teams too.

Exodio
Contributor
Lead character

Badges: 100 credits 50 credits

NetNavi:
Creative.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on April 9, 2015 at 15:30:59 [Post link]

Quote from post #236153:
Originally posted by Coneva
I love wind's suggestion for sand castles! And also Exo's suggestions- specifically snow forts and snowball fights! That could be encouraged to be teams too.

That made me think, we could make a snowball fight arena with 4 (or 8) sides that people could build up obstacles and stuff for the contest. Then we could hail the arena in with a night of snowballfight pvp.

Coneva
Robot master

Posted on April 9, 2015 at 22:25:49 [Post link]

^^^. Where is the darn 'like' button?!

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on April 10, 2015 at 17:53:06 [Post link]

If we get enough people we could repurpose the isle of carnage and cover it in snow. Failing that it'd only take me about an hour to make a smaller island with snow forts and other goodies.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply