Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

I was talking to Wind a few days ago and he came up with a core idea for seasonal maps and events. Basically, there would be a temporary world added to the server that'd get rotated after each major holiday or season. I like the concept and think it'd be neat if we had, say, 5 or 6 different periods a year with each featuring a special map on a given theme. Contests and events might also take place in those temporary locations, not unlike last summer's Botanical Garden contest. Sounds fun, right? :)

Now, of course, comes the topic on which themes would be used. I can already think of the following:

March/April: Easter
October: Halloween
December: Christmas

Which major holidays or seasons would you add to that, ensuring that things are more-or-less spread out over an entire year?

I know that some of you might be tempted to go all "Thanksgiving!!", but I'd like to keep things as country-neutral as possible. Some happenings like Halloween aren't very widespread in, say, Europe, but are at least known and have a strong enough theme to be interesting.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Coneva
Robot master
81 posts

New year's in jan/feb- both the traditional and Chinese New Year would fit and be neat (best firework display contest?). The Chinese New Year would offer some pretty neat theme/ideas.
July/aug fit as "the dog days of summer" - - getting ideas for that? (Some kind of dog challenge, or water hunt in a dessert world.. Hmm)
Halloween is the epitome of fall for me, so just need somethin for May/June- the beginning of summer. (Again, gardens come to mind)

I like the idea :)

LordItachi
Minecraft op
lorditachi
26 posts

Adding to what Coneva said about Chinese New Year, the world for that could be modeled off of an ancient Chinese city or village.

The water hunt in a dessert could be nice, especially with the option to make water spawn less in world generating

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter
331 posts

Summer sand castle building contest!

Sage
News reporter
All Business.
1763 posts

Quote from post #236145:
Originally posted by WindRider739

Where is the like button for this?

I like all of these ideas. I think season based events would be fantastic; halloween and christmas could be an all out thing. I think Wind could come up with some creepy stuff for halloween.

As far as other seasons holidays go; what about St. Patricks day?

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Quote from post #236146:
Originally posted by Dr. Light
Quote from post #236145:
Originally posted by WindRider739

Where is the like button for this?

Seconded. That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Exodio
Contributor
Lead character
234 posts
100 credits
100 credits
Acquired on 2 April 2014
50 credits
50 credits
Acquired on 2 April 2014

I like where the conversation is going. Rather than scheduling strictly based on Holiday stuff, make events that tie in somehow with the season.

- Summer July/Aug - Sand Castle
- Autumn - New England Fall Colors
- December - STAR WARS

- Jan/Feb - Snowball Fight - Snow forts!
- March/April - Stonehenge / Druidic / Pagan Springtime
- June - 1950s Style Neighborhood (June Cleaver)
- August - Roman Empire (Augustus Caesar). Bonus points for references to the end of the Republic
- October Revolution - Russian style neighborhood
- December - Mayan Structures (Extra points for incorporating End of the World predictions)

- February Valentine's Day Massacre - 1920s era Chicago style
- April Fools! Pranks, jokes and anything amusing
- July - Bastille Day! Celebrate the French Revolution. Bonus points for a working Guillotine
- October 24 - UN Day - Buildings or themes from around the world! Except for from non-UN participating outcast countries.
- New Years Eve - New Year Resolutions. Build your favorite failed resolution!

Coneva
Robot master
81 posts

I love wind's suggestion for sand castles! And also Exo's suggestions- specifically snow forts and snowball fights! That could be encouraged to be teams too.

Exodio
Contributor
Lead character
234 posts
100 credits
100 credits
Acquired on 2 April 2014
50 credits
50 credits
Acquired on 2 April 2014

Quote from post #236153:
Originally posted by Coneva
I love wind's suggestion for sand castles! And also Exo's suggestions- specifically snow forts and snowball fights! That could be encouraged to be teams too.

That made me think, we could make a snowball fight arena with 4 (or 8) sides that people could build up obstacles and stuff for the contest. Then we could hail the arena in with a night of snowballfight pvp.

Coneva
Robot master
81 posts

^^^. Where is the darn 'like' button?!

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter
331 posts

If we get enough people we could repurpose the isle of carnage and cover it in snow. Failing that it'd only take me about an hour to make a smaller island with snow forts and other goodies.