Interordi Menu
Samsara
insert pop culture reference here
4029 posts

If an anime series has been lisenced in the US, does that mean that downloading it elsewhere in the world is illegal?

[Edited on 26/2/2003 by AirMan]

⚠ Notice: Undefined index: signature in /home/inter/public_html/mboard/sources/classes/CPost.php on line 246
#0 in /home/inter/public_html/mboard/topic.php on line 294: CPost::::::output
Unknown
Deleted account

Post redacted

Samsara
4029 posts

[quote]Originally posted by Forte Deluxe
[quote]Originally posted by AirMan
If an anime series has been lisenced in the US, does that mean that downloading it elsewhere in the world is illegal?

[Edited on 26/2/2003 by AirMan] [/quote]

It means that it's illegal to download it anywhere, no matter where you live. [/quote] So you can't see it anyway, it's still illigal to download!!!!!! What cads!!!!!!:mad:

DrgnXero
Lil' metool
Inactive
8 posts

thats intresting i always thought it meant u couldnt dl it then sell it.

buit even if it is illegal to dl people still do it i know a few people at my school that do it and i have a relative that does it as well.

Jason6377
The Digital Sword Master
Inactive
652 posts

I do not think so....

Being sensible, calm, fresh and cool leads to victory-Protoman EXE

Kia_Purity
Solid Kia
1184 posts

......Riiiiight. It's only illegal in that country where it's already licensed. Anywhere else, feel free to download! However, this won't stop me from downloading because I *require* subtitles.

--Mod of Ioekaki--

Best quotes from IRC:
* DrCossack hits Evan on the head with Zero's thong.
<Kia_Purity> wat <Kia_Purity> "Queen of Interordi" <Kia_Purity> who did that? XD (from april fools '06)
* DragonBlayde thwacks Mega_X with Kia's thongs <Kia_Purity> NOT MY THONGS

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6342 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Quote:
Originally posted by Kia_Purity
......Riiiiight. It's only illegal in that country where it's already licensed. Anywhere else, feel free to download! However, this won't stop me from downloading because I *require* subtitles.

Don't they usually put those on domestic releases? About all of my DVDs have subtitles...

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Kia_Purity
Solid Kia
1184 posts

Sometimes, companies just license anime but NEVER sub/dub it and release. They just sit on the anime just to stop the fansubbers.

Other times, it takes too long for the dvds to come out. >_<

--Mod of Ioekaki--

Best quotes from IRC:
<Kia_Purity> wat <Kia_Purity> "Queen of Interordi" <Kia_Purity> who did that? XD (from april fools '06)

Jason6377
The Digital Sword Master
Inactive
652 posts

You know when I was watching lord of the rings DVD i bought. The subtitles came from another movie! I do not know why. :P

⚠ Notice: Undefined index: signature in /home/inter/public_html/mboard/sources/classes/CPost.php on line 246
#0 in /home/inter/public_html/mboard/topic.php on line 294: CPost::::::output
Unknown
Deleted account

Post redacted

Samsara
4029 posts

My question was answered.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Shouldn't it be just as illegal as ROMs to just go and download a perfectly good version of an anime, and burn it to a DVD? If it's illegal to do that to movies (and I've read the things at the beginnings of movies and all, I'm sure it's illegal) then why are you free to take some company's anime and burn it on DVDs at will?

Jason6377
The Digital Sword Master
Inactive
652 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
Shouldn't it be just as illegal as ROMs to just go and download a perfectly good version of an anime, and burn it to a DVD? If it's illegal to do that to movies (and I've read the things at the beginnings of movies and all, I'm sure it's illegal) then why are you free to take some company's anime and burn it on DVDs at will?

HollowTorment AirMan's question was answered.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Use common sense... I wasn't off topic, just bringing up another point in the anime downloading deal.

Don't start pointing out other person's rulebreaking until you find out what the rules are and abide to them yourself, non?

Jason6377
The Digital Sword Master
Inactive
652 posts

Quote:
Use common sense... I wasn't off topic, just bringing up another point in the anime downloading deal.

Don't start pointing out other person's rulebreaking until you find out what the rules are and abide to them yourself, non?

Sorry for being an ass......

God
Not A Feminist
837 posts

Quote:

Because it doesn't belong to a company yet. If it hasn't been liscensed, then it's not illegal. Depending on the subbed and dubbed versions. If a dubbed version is liscensed, but the subbed version is not, then downloading the subbed version is still not illegal.

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler
Inactive
2838 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by God
Quote:

Because it doesn't belong to a company yet. If it hasn't been liscensed, then it's not illegal. Depending on the subbed and dubbed versions. If a dubbed version is liscensed, but the subbed version is not, then downloading the subbed version is still not illegal.

ummm you just did a two-year bump and what "God" (the user) said is true my friend downloads legal episodes of South Park.

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by God

No matter if the show is licensed or not, the creator does not get his/her money. If I really wanted the show, I would buy a real copy at a Japanese video store or web site. Stealing is wrong no matter how people mark it or how so-called "right" ("They won't ever license it." or "The dubbing is terrible.") it is.

Now, many people say that it is too expensive getting anime from Japan and getting the appropriate equipment to play them. Yea, Anime is an expensive hobby. So your point is?

Well, that's my two cents.

Master_Tiger
The MIB Goku
Inactive
397 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Kia_Purity
Sometimes, companies just license anime but NEVER sub/dub it and release. They just sit on the anime just to stop the fansubbers.

my brother once told me something very wise: "when a anime gets dubbed and doesnt get a japanese/subtitle feature, a angel looses its wing."

thus, the angel falls off its lay-z-boy reclinable cloud, and begins to fall to earth and then burst of flames :P

My site to be, to find out about its progress click the image ^

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Break. Necro and I were just discussing stuff like this, if you're a fan or not if you steal the manga and anime off the internet..

My ruling was no, not a fan, because you're stealing from the creators. I'm an artist, and know that I wouldn't want someone downloading MY manga that I worked hard on without paying like decent people do.

Master_Tiger
The MIB Goku
Inactive
397 posts

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with you, Break. Necro and I were just discussing stuff like this, if you're a fan or not if you steal the manga and anime off the internet..

My ruling was no, not a fan, because you're stealing from the creators. I'm an artist, and know that I wouldn't want someone downloading MY manga that I worked hard on without paying like decent people do.

if you think about it, not everyone who makes manga/anime does it for their own personal gain. Some do it just because they want to make themselves, and other people happy.

My site to be, to find out about its progress click the image ^

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Master_Tiger
if you think about it, not everyone who makes manga/anime does it for their own personal gain. Some do it just because they want to make themselves, and other people happy.

Tell me one person who doesn't want to be paid for their work and isn't a fan cartoonist.

I forgot to say that there's other people involved making the cartoon/comic other than the creator. I bet they wouldn't want to be paid either? Just a thought but some people do need to make a living you know. ^^;

Hmm... Here's a good article:
Why Anime is Being Spirited Away

[Edited on 11-3-2005 by Breakman]

Samsara
4029 posts

Quote:

Yes, but if you didn't want that, you would surely make it available to buy in other countries, so they wouldn't have to resort to that.

You saying you sould go over to Japan, buy a Japanese DVD Player, buy the Japanese DVD, buy a power thingy so you can plug it in here, and play them through that. For six epesodes of whatever? I guess I'm not a fan, then. Guitar is a cheaper alturnative and that's 2600 at the VERY VERY least.

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!
Inactive
1267 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by God

Did you even think about what you were saying before you posted this?

Yes, before anyone has the liscence to an anime, it does not belong to any company in the country. That doesn't mean that a fansub of it still isn't illegal. People can't go out distrubuting things that don't belong to them. The only reason no company cares about stopping a fansub prior to having a liscence to is because they're not at risk of losing any money due to illegal fansubs. Seriously, I don't see why any company would care to stop something that's illegal that isn't a threat to any of their profits.

Quote:
Originally posted by Master_Tiger

What an insipid retort.

Firstly, it's true that there are manga artists who draw manga because it makes them happy. But to draw the conclusion that they don't want to recieve money for their work is just plain inconsiderate. Manga artists make their living off of drawing manga; they're not going to want people to steal their product. Anyone who thinks that anyone isn't going to care about how much money they're getting should stop living in little fairy tale worlds and step outside into the real world. People need money to survive. It doesn't matter if an artist is in the business because it makes them happy, they still need to make money like everyone else to get by.

In addition, downloading manga not only rips off the manga artist but the publisher as well. Manga that's available online for download freely are illegal reproductions.

Also, anime is produced for the purpose of profit. The animators(and animation studios) themselves do it as a labour of love, but they themselves do not make most of the profits from anime. The companies producing animes do, and whether anyone thinks this is fair or not, very little anime would be made initially without the money provided by the producers.

I'm not going to tell any of you not to download manga/anime because I know it'd be a waste of my breath, so to speak. But christ people, stop trying to justify it. It's not legal.

Samsara
4029 posts

Well, for one thing, this topic was about anime series like MegaMan NT Warrior.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Indifferent Protester
Yes, but if you didn't want that, you would surely make it available to buy in other countries, so they wouldn't have to resort to that.

Who says? If I wanted my comic/manga/art to be sold only in one country in its original format, then that's MY decision, because I created that art.

Quote:
You saying you sould go over to Japan, buy a Japanese DVD Player, buy the Japanese DVD, buy a power thingy so you can plug it in here, and play them through that. For six epesodes of whatever? I guess I'm not a fan, then. Guitar is a cheaper alturnative and that's 2600 at the VERY VERY least.

No. I'm saying get some fucking patience and wait for the DVD/manga to be released over in your country. Won't be released in your country? Spend some dough and get it from the US or something. Won't be released anywhere outside of Japan, supposedly? WAIT. Look at what happened to Naruto. So so so many people have seen so much of the manga and anime already because of the internet. Naruto's manga and anime are being released here. Most of those "fans" who ripped off the companies involved by downloading, certainly won't be buying manga and anime they've already seen.

They are not giving money to the artist. They are not giving money to the production companies. They are not giving money to the manga publishers. They are stealing, and trying to justify said stealing because "omg its legal I sweer".

I don't know, maybe some of you don't know that money makes the world go round. There are NO manga artists that will say "Sure! Steal my lifes work and not get me any profit, I'm just glad I'm making you happy!". There are NO anime production companies that will say "Hey yeah, you know that downloading all that anime off the internet is perfectly legal, and we're not mad at you at all for ripping us off!"

If you're downloading manga or anime in any form, you're stealing. So just admit you're stealing and don't try to justify it you bozos.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

I won't deny it. I am stealing in a sense.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Samsara
4029 posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Indifferent Protester

Who says? If I wanted my comic/manga/art to be sold only in one country in its original format, then that's MY decision, because I created that art.
I mean to prevent it being stolen in other countries. We're not all Globe Trotters, you know.
Quote:

Quote:

No. I'm saying get some fucking patience and wait for the DVD/manga to be released over in your country. Won't be released in your country? Spend some dough and get it from the US or something. Won't be released anywhere outside of Japan, supposedly? WAIT. Look at what happened to Naruto. So so so many people have seen so much of the manga and anime already because of the internet. Naruto's manga and anime are being released here. Most of those "fans" who ripped off the companies involved by downloading, certainly won't be buying manga and anime they've already seen.

They are not giving money to the artist. They are not giving money to the production companies. They are not giving money to the manga publishers. They are stealing, and trying to justify said stealing because "omg its legal I sweer".

I don't know, maybe some of you don't know that money makes the world go round. There are NO manga artists that will say "Sure! Steal my lifes work and not get me any profit, I'm just glad I'm making you happy!". There are NO anime production companies that will say "Hey yeah, you know that downloading all that anime off the internet is perfectly legal, and we're not mad at you at all for ripping us off!"

If you're downloading manga or anime in any form, you're stealing. So just admit you're stealing and don't try to justify it you bozos.
Well, if you buy it from a site with Pay Pal, it's still downloading it, but just not stealing:P

Anyhow, this referrs to big corperations, mainly, not people who have a hobbie. I wouldn't steal from a person like that. However, don't these major corperations already have enough money? It's their own fault for not making it available to me in the first place.:devil: However, If I download something, or in some way get it for free and it's available in the shops and it's good, I will always buy it.

Kia_Purity
Solid Kia
1184 posts

I might be the only person who actually pays. I download it, but I do wind up paying for it.

I have some of the bleach manga on my computer, but reading manga while at my computer isn't comfortable, so I've gone out to buy the manga themselves. It's much easier to lie on my bed and read the manga. :P

With that being said, there's not very much that catches my attention enough for me to download it. *shrug*

--Mod of Ioekaki--

Best quotes from IRC:

Samsara
4029 posts

I'm the same with music. But if it's good, I buy the original.