Interordi Menu
BladeMan.EXE
Just A-Lurkin' Now
Inactive
1624 posts

A while ago, I decided that I wanted to make a new character. However, I couldn't find pieces that I really wanted to use for the character. And so, I decided that this character would be my experiment in scratch spriting. And thus did I begin this undertaking. I made a few overworld, battle, and mugshot sprites, all from scratch. And without further ado, here is my character:

Her name is Mirai.

So, what do you think of this character? I really want some criticism. I still feel like she's missing something... But I don't have a clue what...

[Edited on 22-4-2005 by BladeMan.EXE]

The Future of the Net Sprite Comic

My deviantART

~Dwarven Vow #4~
Don't depend on others. Walk on your own two feet.
^ Apply the above to video game help unless you have no other choice.

"94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature."

Heatman.EXE
The Red Comet
Inactive
1439 posts

I think it's pretty good. That it's made from scratch is impressive; the one thing that bugged me in your Sonic. EXE thing is gone, that is, the character is facing the same way most BN characters do. :D

Is that where that "Mirai I say" thing came from?

Quote:
Originally posted by Breakman:
Saturdays: The day Protoman comes over. He doesn't do or need anything, but Roll insists Rock to sit down and talk to him. So commences the 12-hour awkward silence treatment until Protoman disappears when everybody's back is turned.

BladeMan.EXE
Just A-Lurkin' Now
Inactive
1624 posts

No, I had that in my mood before I started on Mirai. However, I've had the idea of making a character named Mirai for a long time. What kept me from making it was wondering if Mirai would be a girl's name or a boy's. Thanks to Google, I found out it's a girls name (searched for "named Mirai" and saw somthing about and actress being name Mirai something-or-other) So a girl it is.

And you kind of lost me there when you said Sonic.EXE. Do you mean you want me to make Mirai facing different directions? I can do that, I think... Oh well, you never know until you try!

My deviantART

~Dwarven Vow #4~

"94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature."

AimMan v2.5
Superstar!
Inactive
2429 posts

Scratch sprites amaze me. I really need to try that for myself.

Anyways, I think it looks good. The 4th blinking animation on the face shots look nice. I say keep going with it. I'd love to see some attacks.

What my brother meant was that in your Sonic.EXE sprite sheet, the faces look irregular because they were all looking sideways. I believe he meant these look better because they are all looking from 3/4 view.

Join the DevART Megaman Legends Club:
http://megaman-legends-club.deviantart.com

Inactive
1271 posts

Wow cool scratch man i wish i could do all this.

Zane Truesdale
Yu Grim Ravenface
Inactive
180 posts

give the ones with a cape an aura

Nightmares are dreams that need re-coding.

Enix
[One and Only]
Inactive
500 posts

I like the way that you made the sprites. they look really cool, especially the one with her holding out her hands. Seeing these makes me envy you.:D

BladeMan.EXE
Just A-Lurkin' Now
Inactive
1624 posts

Don't give me too much praise. It'll find a way to go to my head. Besides, these sprites aren't made easily. I put a lot of effort into them. Especially a new one I just made (the buster one). I spent an hour on that one (mostly because I tried to make it from nothing. Then I used parts from Mirai's other sprites and I got it to work, more or less).

By the way, something I've learned:

Scratch spriting is trial and error.

My deviantART

~Dwarven Vow #4~

SuperGoku4
Don't worry, I'm not dead!
Inactive
394 posts

Those sprites are awesome! Nice job! Can't wait to see more

Bluewolf
DWN-014 - SnakeMan
Inactive
48 posts

Awesome...

What do you mean by trial and error though?

BassGospel
Shirt Ninja
Inactive
561 posts

It means try, fail and try again. Well pretty much.
Back on topic : I understand what you said, Blademan, but there does seem to be something missing. I've never done a scratch sprite myself so I can't really critcize. Anyway, nice one. Keep up the "Most excellent" work.

Scooby Dooby
Better Than You
Inactive
48 posts

Course I know ya gonna add more. How about charge attack of bomb throwing. You could try drawing that next.:) And, That's pretty good drawing. I have experience drawing chibi MBN cartoons.:D

Ya know trash talk reminds me of church.
IT HAS SOUL!

doc.mad
ultimate cookie eater
Inactive
129 posts

thats cool man thats cool

I LIKE PIE
i like pie pie pie pie going down
down now right into my belly if you
love pie clap your hands ,calp,calp
if you like pie clap your hands ,calp
,clap apple cinmon pecon,apple cinmon
pecon,apple cinmon and apple cinmon apple cinmon and pecon,clap,clap

don't forget chun lee's legendary legs, Image thanks again for banner slash

Serpentarius
13th Zodiac Sign: Snake
Inactive
529 posts

Not bad... not bad at all.

I'd add more blinking sprites, it seems to me that her eyes would go from sorta squinted to closed without a halfway sprite in between. Also, the cloak looks very nice. Perhaps a sprite of it billowing... but that's just icing on the cake, it looks nice the way it is. Add some additional battle sprites and you're good to go!

All shall bow to the mad l33t skillz of Tauman.EXE, found on the site above!

BladeMan.EXE
Just A-Lurkin' Now
Inactive
1624 posts

Okay, I've improved Mirai's sheet. I've made the highlight in her hear better, repositioned her eyes, and added a new overworld sprite I started near the beginning, but never posted. I've got more battle sprites in the works (sword specifically, but I may drop that (the hair is a pain...) and go for a shield (on her arm)) Enjoy the new and improved sprites!

My deviantART

~Dwarven Vow #4~

BassGospel
Shirt Ninja
Inactive
561 posts

Keep it up, she looks better than she did before.