User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Blink 182, What do you think?

Pages: 1 2

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here

Posted on December 17, 2005 at 20:09:58 [Post link]

Hello!

Simple enough question, what do you think of Blink 182?

ELBURITO
I left.

Stream: We'll kick you apart
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 20:30:13 [Post link]

I'm not going to vote in the polls because I'm partially inbetween.
I really don't like their music, the stereotypes they've created and what they've done to the direction of the music industry. HOWEVER, I must respect them in gaining this massive popularity, selling albums and becoming more-or-less idols to young teenage girls.
I really respect their decision to go on hiatus, many bands make GREAT careers for themselves and then make crappy album after album, where as Blink made a few solid albums and quit while they were ahead.

God
Not A Feminist

Stream: BREAKING NEWS!: Snape kills Dumbledore.
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 20:56:59 [Post link]

...Don't you think there's any people who might be somewhere in between? :P

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 21:33:16 [Post link]

I like their music. Sometimes their lyrics creep me out a little. o.o They themselves are okay. I'm a fan. They were my first favorite band.

Samsara

Posted on December 17, 2005 at 22:06:58 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by God

Didn't occur to me.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 1:17:56 [Post link]

Yeah, I really don't like them. But lately I've only been liking music made during and before the 80s.. :lol:

Unknown

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 1:37:11 [Post link]

Post redacted

ELBURITO
I left.

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 5:00:18 [Post link]

I just hate the whole 12 year old punk-wannabe teenyboppers them and green day have created.

Green Day's old music is accually REALLY good. Once Green Day made American Idiot, I lost a lot of respect for them. Their image and attitude made a 180.

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Stream: Huzzah!
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 5:05:45 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by ELBURITO
I just hate the whole 12 year old punk-wannabe teenyboppers them and green day have created.

Green Day's old music is accually REALLY good. Once Green Day made American Idiot, I lost a lot of respect for them. Their image and attitude made a 180.

You've just illustrated the point I've been trying to make to my faux-punk friends see for years, thank you.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 6:29:10 [Post link]

I stopped liking Green Day at Nimrod. Just didn't have the same feel as the older albums..

And haha I do agree with Wind on this.

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 7:45:08 [Post link]

Meh, can't really say I like them. Do like some lyrics of them. Usually, I do not always like one's lyrics, just a few here and some there. Kinda depends on the mood thing, y'know?

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Samsara

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 16:16:06 [Post link]

Quote:

Wow. A punk band, but as soon as they speak out about something, you hate them...

May I also mention that although to say they have created "12 year old punk-wannabe teenyboppers", I will have you know that I know Green Day fans of all ages. 14, 24, hell, even 44 and upwards!

American Idiot is an alright song. It's not an incredibly wonderful song, just alright.

Jesus of Suburbia is one of the best songs of the moment, I think it's fairly safe to say that.

Holiday is a brilliant song, too, and before I go into a full scale rant, I must remind myself that Green Day have nothing to do with this thread. This is for blink 182 and them alone.

I personally hate them for their apparent lack of any musical talent.

Unknown

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 17:54:52 [Post link]

Post redacted

Samsara

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 18:26:06 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by NewWindRider~
Settle down, Air.

I AM SETTLED!!! :madgo: ( :P )

Quote:
I hate Greenday, linkin park etc for the pathetic people they've created as well as he does.

When it comes to music for me, that's all I look at. The misic. Not image, the person's appearance or the way they dress. Neither do I like or dislike groups because of other people who like/dislike them as you seem to be doing here. Linkin Park I dislike because of the Whiney, emo style of the music.

Quote:
Look at the follower kids and tell me you don't hate that.

...I'm sorry, you've lost me.

Quote:
Personally, I like that Greenday made a stand. Too bad it was a poorly laid out one.

I think that the American Idiot is different to anything they've ever doen up until this time. American Idiot, as an album, as not just a collection of Green Day's songs. It is a rock opera, so really, judging it should be done as a whole movie, not as indevidual scenes, but hey! Heh! Green Day saw a lot of their American popularity plummit after American Idiot!

BTW, why are we talking about Green Day, when the title clearly states Blink 182?

BassGospel
Shirt Ninja

Stream: Silent, dangerous, and stylish
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 18:31:05 [Post link]

To be perfectly honest I've never listened to any of their stuff. I'm more into Classic Rock (Guns N Roses, White Snake, Foreigner etc). Juke Box Hero by Foreigner kicks ass. I like Queen too, I'm watching a video of them live in Wembley Stadium in '86.

Some of the crap people I know listen. Thanks God (no not the guy on this board:D) for the MP3 player and loud headphones.

[Edited on 18/12/2005 by BassGospel]

Samsara

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 18:32:22 [Post link]

Got that gig on DVD and vinyl! HA! Beat that!

BassGospel
Shirt Ninja

Stream: Silent, dangerous, and stylish
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 18:35:05 [Post link]

Samsara. You do realize what a painful death you will suffer?

Meh I could get it on DVD but I have a vid so no point. Ooh it's Bohemian Rhapsody! Sweet!

Samsara

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 18:48:10 [Post link]

:lol:

I want a CD player which can play mp3 cds. That way I can have literally infinate amounts of songs I can play.

God
Not A Feminist

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 22:13:14 [Post link]

I'm a girl :P.

Edit: Whoa, all you posters didn't VOTE?

[Edited on 12/18/2005 by God]

Samsara

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 22:16:32 [Post link]

The word "guy", although meaning boy, is often used as a general term for "person".

ELBURITO
I left.

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 22:18:04 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsara
Quote:

Wow. A punk band, but as soon as they speak out about something, you hate them...

May I also mention that although to say they have created "12 year old punk-wannabe teenyboppers", I will have you know that I know Green Day fans of all ages. 14, 24, hell, even 44 and upwards!

American Idiot is an alright song. It's not an incredibly wonderful song, just alright.

Jesus of Suburbia is one of the best songs of the moment, I think it's fairly safe to say that.

Holiday is a brilliant song, too, and before I go into a full scale rant, I must remind myself that Green Day have nothing to do with this thread. This is for blink 182 and them alone.

I have nothing against Green Day. J.O.S. along with Holiday are EXTREMELY catchy and well written. The whole rock opera thing is great and a big success (I'm sure there was a lot of risks in making it one). It was just odd to me that they went from masterbating-stoners to political pioneers. No I don't think they are talented AT ALL but who am I to talk? I brought up Green Day, I didn't think it would spin the topic outta control, but the two bands are fairly comparable.

Out of all Blink's members, I would say Travis is the most talented at his instrument. However, Tom (or is it Mark?) manages to write such hits, no matter what band he's in (Box Car Racer). Travis's side project with The Transplants turned out very nice, a true blender of genres. I personally don't like their music but I respect the name and position they hold. With every major label pop-punk band, there is sure to be haters. I've never put out a number one album, and until I do, I (or no one else) has the right to criticize.

P.S. It was a quick type, mind the spelling errors. :P

Samsara

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 22:27:24 [Post link]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have nothing against Green Day. J.O.S. along with Holiday are EXTREMELY catchy and well written. The whole rock opera thing is great and a big success (I'm sure there was a lot of risks in making it one). It was just odd to me that they went from masterbating-stoners to political pioneers. No I don't think they are talented AT ALL but who am I to talk? I brought up Green Day, I didn't think it would spin the topic outta control, but the two bands are fairly comparable.

Well, if the rhumous are to be believed, it was less of a risk than their other album they were working on at the time. No, I haven't heard it (they didn't record it), but appearently, it was so crap, it dissappeared in "mysterious circumstances".

I don't actually believe that American Idiot has anything to do with President Bush or "political pioneering", as you put it. American Idiot is talking about the American idiot, and Jesus of Suburbia goes into greater detail on that.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 23:29:05 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by BassGospel
To be perfectly honest I've never listened to any of their stuff. I'm more into Classic Rock (Guns N Roses, White Snake, Foreigner etc). Juke Box Hero by Foreigner kicks ass. I like Queen too, I'm watching a video of them live in Wembley Stadium in '86.

Did anyone ever tell you that you rock? Because you do. :lol:

Agreed with the Burrito about GreenDay as well..they pulled an Offspring. Offspring used to be very "angry" generally with their music..and it was great. But as time went on, out came the ballads..and then the crap like "Pretty Fly (for a white guy)" after that. UGH! GreenDay used to be lazy stoners with generally "fun" songs, then okay..they're political songwriters now? It's like Rage Against the Machine (who I liked the music of but couldn't stand the whining) saying "Hey lets stop the political stuff and sing about fluffy animals"

Blink182 is a band I do not care about, they must not be too important because I can't even remember a song's name of theirs. Yet I have a CD of theirs somewhere. Madness. Their Backstreet Boy mocking was quite funny in the videos though.

ELBURITO
I left.

Posted on December 18, 2005 at 23:52:13 [Post link]

As long as you're satisfied as a musician, no one can tell you what's wrong and what's right.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on December 19, 2005 at 16:52:09 [Post link]

Agreed. I've always liked most of the bands I've heard. Hell, I've even enjoyed some rap songs--and rap's my sworn musical enemy.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on December 19, 2005 at 17:03:59 [Post link]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if the rhumous are to be believed, it was less of a risk than their other album they were working on at the time. No, I haven't heard it (they didn't record it), but appearently, it was so crap, it dissappeared in "mysterious circumstances".

I don't actually believe that American Idiot has anything to do with President Bush or "political pioneering", as you put it. American Idiot is talking about the American idiot, and Jesus of Suburbia goes into greater detail on that.

Really? I heard it got stolen, and instead of trying to get it back, they just wanted to start over and did way better.

Yeah, could've been a coverup.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

God
Not A Feminist

Posted on December 20, 2005 at 20:01:37 [Post link]

The Pretty-Fly-For-A-White-Guy-type songs happen to be my favorite Offspring music.

By the way: Did you know I know three people (including Wind) that have/had never heard of that?

[Edited on 12/20/2005 by God]

Samsara

Posted on December 20, 2005 at 22:19:37 [Post link]

I used to hate that song, but since I actually sat down and listend to it/watched it (the video was on TV), I now think it's actually alright. Funny, actually.

God
Not A Feminist

Posted on August 4, 2010 at 14:10:30 [Post link]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by God

Didn't occur to me.

I was referring to ELBURITO's first comment.

I like Blink-182, but, they weren't around for very long, I don't actually remember what they sound like lol.

They don't really seem to have "created" any styles or people, or even any styles of music...

Green Day hasn't created anything either. And as far as I know American Idiot is their first major political statement (at least for a whole album, etc.), so how could you hate them due to it?

...How is Green Day even remotely related to Linkin Park? wtf? Green Day existed long before what you used to call Linkin Park kids even existed... the first I heard of Green Day was in Jr. High, so that would be about 1996. The "emo" term was created in like 2007 or something, and for that matter was created by trolls rather then actual people (just look at it's usage... it is now used to refer to a style of dress, and a bunch of different music that have little in common with each other? The term LPR that Wind coined fit far better then the word "emo", because it only referred to people who actually ACTED that way which is a bad way to act... but even so I think those kids would be around whether Linkin Park existed or not. Since Linkin Park doesn't even follow a related style of dress. For that matter LP's lyrics are more about anger then they are about pain and hurting).

...In any case Green Day and Linkin Park are not even remotely similar, wtf?

Quote:

When it comes to music for me, that's all I look at. The misic. Not image, the person's appearance or the way they dress. Neither do I like or dislike groups because of other people who like/dislike them as you seem to be doing here. Linkin Park I dislike because of the Whiney, emo style of the music.

As once happened with my dad, I asked him if he liked Madonna and he said no. He later looked at my CDs to which he could stand to listen to (he likes old country and Elvis; horrendous:X), and choose the Madonna CD, at which point he said, "Yeah I like her music but I don't like her because she does stupid stuff like wear pointy bras."

Um... okay.... since when does asking someone if they like a group/band or artist refer to what they think of them as a human being??!?

I mean sure fans of rock/punk/etc. might specifically like or "respect" certian groups due to what they take a stand for, but that is only after they like their music... I mean hell it only happens in rock and punk (and occasionally rap but then most rap is about "hoes" so this isn't often), so that's almost like saying fans of country or pop aren't allowed to have favorite artists.

I never got "the fans ruined it for me" either... does the fact that there exist squee~ing fangirls on the internet who don't know how to type somehow change what happened when you sat down in the living room, all by yourself or with your Mate or friends, and watched the movie?

Quote:
I think that the American Idiot is different to anything they've ever doen up until this time.

How is it different? It's exactly the same as all of their other music, Green Day being one of those bands where every song has exactly the same sound and feel to it (this isn't a bad thing if the music is good!). Only the lyrics are different. There are plenty of songs that I like because of the lyrics, but that doesn't mean that this album is somehow different from the rest.

Plus, lyrics making something different would be more logical to say on a band where their entire musical concept was related to the lyrics, such as Evanescence... actually there are VERY few that you could even think to apply that too; the only other one I can think of is RATM, and they could sing about anything without changing their style since the music isn't intrinsically linked to their lyrics, only the band's statement is.

Quote:

BTW, why are we talking about Green Day, when the title clearly states Blink 182

Um because somebody mentioned it, and that, in the opinion of each poster who did so, required a reply. Must we only have a conversation exactly as you dictate? =\

Quote:
I want a CD player which can play mp3 CDs. That way I can have literally infinite amounts of songs I can play.

Not true. A CD Player that says it can play CDs with mp3s on them, can still only play around 20 songs, as they have to be burned. There is a special type of CD player required to play them from a CD where they are bot burned as music, but instead as data. In that case it can hold around 300 songs for semi-poor-quality mp3s, however, as far as I can tell they stopped making this type nearly right away, when mp3 players of the iPod variety came out shortly after and then when almost all regular CD players can also play mp3 CDs (if burned as music).

I fail to see how you are "listening to a song," though, if it's in mp3 format, unless you ripped the .wav and converted the mp3 yourself to a decent quality. Almost every one you get off p2p is pretty poor.

Edited by God on August 5, 2010 at 4:31:11.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on August 4, 2010 at 16:53:13 [Post link]

Do people still use CD players?

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Pages: 1 2

New topic Reply