Interordi Menu
Tri-Edge
Bobo
589 posts

If my theory is correct and they are using a form of roman numerals such as X meaning 10 then the original series is incomplete. They must have forgotten to make 9 or something, because you cant have 10 without 9 you know.

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"
.... .hack//kyat....we miss you dearly

Flameman EXE.
Pop-up
Inactive
49 posts

Your right. How can they do that:( Well they mustn't have noticed it. The stupid nutters.:lol:

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6359 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Quote:
Originally posted by BreezeRider~
If my theory is correct and they are using a form of roman numerals such as X meaning 10 then the original series is incomplete. They must have forgotten to make 9 or something, because you cant have 10 without 9 you know.

That reasoning was debated before, and the general opinion is that it doesn't make sense: "Mega Man X" would be "Mega Man Ten", if you wish. However, what's "Mega Man X2"? Is it "Ten-Two"? "Twelve"? If it's the latter, then you're missing an "Eleven" somewhere!

As far as I'm concerned, "X" is a letter, and nothing more.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

FlareMan
DMN #007
Inactive
1176 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Quote:

That reasoning was debated before, and the general opinion is that it doesn't make sense: "Mega Man X" would be "Mega Man Ten", if you wish. However, what's "Mega Man X2"? Is it "Ten-Two"? "Twelve"? If it's the latter, then you're missing an "Eleven" somewhere!

Agreed. Unless you want to call the first game "X1", and make that #11. In which case, we're missing TWO games. :P

Back from another thousand-year hibernation.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Well, at least you're smart enough to know that Rockman & Forte isn't Megaman 9. :P

Tri-Edge
Bobo
589 posts

Well DC, it makes as much sence as anything else I have to say. Thank you for telling me, I just didnt understand it at all so I thought it was nessicary to make this topic.

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by FlareMan
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. Unless you want to call the first game "X1", and make that #11. In which case, we're missing TWO games. :P

Not even to talk about the X series. They should have 10 games as well, and the 'Z' in 'MMZ' should be the Roman number for 20. Which it isn't.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

PsychoGiga
Village Idiot
Inactive
534 posts

The roman numeral for 20 is XX. I think I remember hearing that the fate of 9 rests on if Powered Up sells well.

"A closed mouth gathers no foot" -This is a fact of life, and I don't know who said it.

94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature.

⚠ Notice: Undefined index: signature in /home/inter/public_html/mboard/sources/classes/CPost.php on line 246
#0 in /home/inter/public_html/mboard/topic.php on line 290: CPost::::::output
Unknown
Deleted account

Post redacted

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoGiga
The roman numeral for 20 is XX. I think I remember hearing that the fate of 9 rests on if Powered Up sells well.

Yeah yeah..

They always say stuff like that. With Capcom, fate rests on how much money they can make off of you. Is reviving a "dead" series profitable enough? You can bet they'll be there to make 20 more sequels if so.

Tri-Edge
Bobo
589 posts

Sounds like a plan.:)

Glenn Magus Harvey
Lead character
172 posts

Yeah, been discussed before.

The title "X" is merely a name, and refers to the name of the protagonist character robot. Keep in mind that this name was chosen since the name "X" recalled the algebraic tradition of calling unknown quantities by letters, often starting with the letter x.

The fact that X also happens to be a Roman numeral is coincidential, in my opinion. In any case, Capcom only had about 6 MM main-series games (not counting the GB games) when they made MMX. I highly doubt they'd "limit" themselves to three more MM games before stopping the MM series altogether.

(I personally tend to refer to the main-series games by Arabic numerals--1, 2, 3,...--instead of Roman numerals. This first, eliminates confusion with the X series, and second, allows me to refer consistently to the GB side-series by Roman numerals (I, II, III,...).)

It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.

Tri-Edge
Bobo
589 posts

So you say that they use the name "X" that is usually used to name unknown stuff? Isn't that usually the same with algebra?

Glenn Magus Harvey
Lead character
172 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Elk
So you say that they use the name "X" that is usually used to name unknown stuff? Isn't that usually the same with algebra?

Quote:
Already posted by Glenn Magus Harvey
Keep in mind that this name was chosen since the name "X" recalled the algebraic tradition of calling unknown quantities by letters, often starting with the letter x.

Slash Beast
Irken Invader
Inactive
545 posts

It does bother me too that they never officailly made an end for the original series alot of people say that

Spoiler (click to toggle)
*power battles 2 was the ending cause that explains the death of protoman*

ImageImageImage

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Explains the...what?

Maybe when I played it I was blind at the time but I didn't see mention of that anywhere.

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6359 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Spoiler about Power Fighters Ending (click to toggle)
The only thing mentioned is a problem within Protoman's systems that could cause him to shutdown eventually. Protoman is refusing Dr. Light's help, which makes that situation likely.

However, I don't think that this closes the series in any way. What would really be required is for something bad to happen to either Mega Man or Dr. Wily, I'd say, to get a proper closure. Otherwise, the conflit will just keep on.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Slash Beast
Irken Invader
Inactive
545 posts

You have to Finish the game with Protoman(the game has different endings with every character)

Spoiler (click to toggle)
*I think Protoman then shutdown and just died and he did NOT become Zero because when you finish it with Bass Wily shows Bass the blueprints for the "strongest robot" and you can easily tell it's Zero

ImageImageImage

azoreseuropa
Superstar!
421 posts

Why are you guys off the point ? This guy asked the question about Rockman 9. o_o

Some of us might want to know, lol. :hehe:

Edited by RockmanRotties on June 10, 2006 at 22:42:49.

Slash Beast
Irken Invader
Inactive
545 posts

No it's just that alot of people think Power Battles 2 is the end of the series and that there is no Megaman 9 and there wont be one.

ImageImageImage

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Unless they continue their 'Powered Up' into a series that'll will go beyond #8, I see no MM9 of any kind.

Sephiroth XX
Hikari
Inactive
664 posts

Meh, as long as we see Wily actually die and X and Zero being sealed away, i'll be quite happy.

How do you prove that we exist...
Maybe we don't exist...
-Vivi FF9

http://s14.invisionfree.com/Gundam_Final_War

^JOIN NOWWWWW OR I WILL PWN J00!

http://s9.invisionfree.com/MegamanBNimperial

^Join too

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6359 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Quote:
Originally posted by Morphman
Unless they continue their 'Powered Up' into a series that'll will go beyond #8, I see no MM9 of any kind.

If they release one Powered Up title every year, it would take 8 more years before we see a Mega Man 9 of any kind. Do you expect the Playstation Portable, or any other game system, to stay around for that long? I don't. Series of game remakes or ports usually don't continue their life beyond the game system that they were created on, so I'm counting off this this idea right away.

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Hey, the MM series continued from the NES onto the SNES and even the PlayStation, so who says it's not gonna happen too with Powered Up?

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6359 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

I specified "series of game remakes or ports" for a reason, you know.

Often, the remakes are done on a specific style that would look outdated or wouldn't work well on a new system, so most companies just end the set of remakes/ports at that time.

Morphman
Niz-Da
2646 posts

Hmm... yeah, I suppose that's true. The whole 'chibi RockMan' look might not attract as much fans as expected. With Maverick Hunter X, it would prolly go better.

Glenn Magus Harvey
Lead character
172 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Morphman

Well, they said that the X series would end at MMX5, allowing Inafking's original plan for the MMZ series, but then they decided to stick more sequels making him trip over his feet and make Zero fake and all that crikey.

So yeah, if they can make more games out of it, they will.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Quote:
I specified "series of game remakes or ports" for a reason, you know.

Often, the remakes are done on a specific style that would look outdated or wouldn't work well on a new system, so most companies just end the set of remakes/ports at that time.

I'm not sure if that applies so much with these. These aren't just remakes to take advantage of new technology, these are supposed to be the new canon. I'd think that if it mattered to him enough to make them the definitive authority, then it would survive past this generation of console.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Androcles
Connoisseur of all beauty
Inactive
49 posts

Don't you all remember the Keiji Inafune interview where he said that he'd only make a MM9 if the older fans really demanded that the series be completed?

His exact words were:
"That is going to depend largely on the amount of input of...fans that actually say, 'Yes, we really, really want a [Mega Man] 9, that's obviously a throwback to the super old-school, which people that are like 28, 30, that have been playing Mega Man for their whole lives...it would be for them, for the fans, not for the actual younger gamers, which is what Mega Man's originally intended for."

This doesn't count me, because I'm 23 (21 at the time of the interview). My brother has been playing Megaman since the beginning and he's in his early 30s. But he doesn't care anymore because he's so disgusted with Capcom and Inafune for various reasons. A lot of people don't care anymore. Even if Capcom started making more Megaman games without Inafune's blessing, it would only be because they wanted to make more money and stretch the series as thin as possible.

They would never tell us what happened to Megaman and Wily.

RisingDragon
Goat Herder
-4276 post
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Emi Ibarazaki
Emi Ibarazaki
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Heavy
Heavy
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Demoman
Demoman
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Pyro
Pyro
Acquired on 2 April 2012

... and 18 more

Quote:
They would never tell us what happened to Megaman and Wily.

I dunno if this is a good reason or if it's absolutely stupid, but for some reason I've got it in my head that they won't tell is because they don't want the fans to get pissed at them for killing off fave characters, if that were the case. A lot of people would hate to see Rock, Roll, Blues, and the other popular main characters to get killed in the Cataclysm (or before it). I can see a Mega Man 9 being about Zero's creation or the actual Cataclysm, and I could be sure that a number of characters would get killed. And I know it's been a long time for the original fans that a lot of them could understand, but hey, not everyone will be happy about it.

I dunno, it sounds like a stupid reason to even me, but it's stuck in my head. What do you guys think of it?

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.