Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

It looks like Yahoo! has decided that it was time to shut down GeoCities. Those who have been using the Internet for about a decade might understand why I don't hesitate in saying that this is the end of an era.

Of course, GeoCities is completely irrelevant now, but this is a former giant about to being buried.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

Well, that's interesting. *transferring all my Geocities files to hard-drive* I guess they are trying to focus their money and energy to their email.

Yup. End of an era. An era of poorly planned, 5-min setup websites... *snickers*

Edited by Breakman on April 24, 2009 at 11:06:12.

Sage
News reporter
All Business.
1763 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Breakman
Well, that's interesting. *transferring all my Geocities files to hard-drive* I guess they are trying to focus their money and energy to their email.

Yup. End of an era. An era of poorly planned, 5-min setup websites... *snickers*

Edited by Breakman on April 24, 2009 at 11:06:12.

Not sure how you can say that. It was bought in 1999 by Yahoo for $3.57bn. At the height of it's time, it literally dominated the web hosting market, even for the limited amount of space it gave.

Currently the 30,000 users that remain will be allowed to upgrade to Yahoo's Web Hosting service, which is still thriving compared to other hosts out there, not to be confused with Geocities.

As for myself, I used it around the time it was bought for awhile, and then I moved to Fuitadnet and then from then on I stayed away. It lived and served it's purpose, but Geocities has a damaged rep now, it's a shame they never tried to fix it.

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Quote:
Originally posted by Breakman

Heyheyhey, my first few websites were hosted on GeoCities! At some point, I had three accounts running simultaneously. When I did register, back in 1998 or so, it was one of the best options available. At the very least, it didn't suffer XOOM's fate (shutdown pretty much overnight). Of course, I eventually moved off somewhere else, and ended up paying to get some much more decent hosting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Light
It lived and served it's purpose, but Geocities has a damaged rep now, it's a shame they never tried to fix it.

Honestly, I don't think that it could really be salvaged. There are so many better options now, they'd have had to start almost anew to get something decent running. I don't think it'd have been worth it to Yahoo!.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Ohmygod, Geocities is dead? I know I'm behind on the times but wow, that's something.

Ironically I think I had everything but a Geocities site

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

For the record, Yahoo! is officially pulling the plug on October 26. You've got a bit over two weeks to finish your backups!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6333 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

And one year later, if you've got a bit of disk space and bandwidth to waste spare, you can get most of Geocities as a single 900 GB torrent! seed plz!