Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6325 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Internet troll jailed after mocking deaths of teenagers

Sean Duffy targeted Facebook tribute pages and posted videos on YouTube taunting the dead victims and their families

Steven Morris
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 13 September 2011 18.19 BST

An internet troll who posted videos and messages mocking the deaths of teenagers, including a girl hit by a train, has been jailed.

Sean Duffy, 25, targeted Facebook tribute pages and posted videos on YouTube taunting the dead and their families.

Among his victims was Natasha MacBryde, 15, who died instantly when hit by a passenger train near her home in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

The day after Natasha's death in February, Duffy posted comments including "I fell asleep on the track lolz" on the Facebook tribute page created by her brother James, 17.

Four days later he created a YouTube video called "Tasha the Tank Engine" featuring her face superimposed on to the front of the fictional engine.

Duffy, who is unemployed and did not know any of his victims, pleaded guilty to two counts of sending malicious communications relating to Natasha.

He asked for three other cases of Facebook trolling posting offensive messages on the internet to be taken into consideration when he appeared before magistrates in Reading, Berkshire.

Jailing him for 18 weeks, the chair of the bench, Paul Warren, told him: "You have caused untold distress to already grieving friends and family.

"The offences are so serious only a custodial sentence could be justified."

He went on to say that the case served as an illustration of the "harm and damage" that malicious use of social networking sites could do.

Duffy was also given a five-year antisocial behaviour order to prohibit him from creating and accessing social network sites including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Bebo and Myspace. He will also have to inform police of any phone he has or buys that comes with internet access.

The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and lived a "miserable existence" drinking alcohol alone at his home in Reading.

Joanne Belsey, prosecuting, said Duffy's series of online attacks began following the death of 16-year-old Hayley Bates, from Staffordshire, who died in a car crash in September 2010.

Duffy defaced pictures of her, adding crosses over her eyes and stitches over her forehead. One caption underneath a picture of flowers at the crash site read: "Used car for sale, one useless owner."

He then went on to focus on Lauren Drew, a 14-year-old who died from an epilepsy attack at her home in Gloucester in January.

Duffy posted offensive and upsetting images relating to her death and for Mother's Day created a YouTube video with a picture of a coffin saying "Happy Mothers Day".

Public schoolgirl Natasha MacBryde was his next target. She killed herself after she was sent a message by an anonymous bully on a social networking website. She had also been teased by members of an all-girl clique at school.

Duffy set up a fake tribute page on Facebook called Tasha the Tank Engine.

On the official memorial page set up by her brother James he wrote: "I fell asleep on the track lolz," and posted images of her with text saying she was spoilt. Other trolls joined the abuse.

Duffy's final target was Jordan Cooper, 14, from Washington, Newcastle upon Tyne, who was stabbed to death.

Duffy created a group called "Jordan Cooper in pieces" with a profile picture of a knife with blood dripping off it. A further YouTube video was also made which contained pictures of his eyes crossed out and slashes across his face.

Duffy's lawyer Lance Whiteford said: "In terms of mitigation there is none. I cannot imagine the trauma and anxiety caused to the families of these horrible, despicable offences."

She said his condition meant he was not aware of the effect he was having on his victims.

Duffy had been cautioned for a similar offence in 2009 and Whiteford said he lived an isolated life and had himself been bullied at school and work.

Speaking outside court, Natasha MacBryde's father, Andrew, said: "He is a disturbed individual who caused the maximum of grief for his own satisfaction.

"I think he must be a very lonely man who unfortunately tried to get attention through the most disgusting way possible.

"In a way I feel sorry for him and I think he needs some sort of counselling as it is obviously very odd behaviour.

"I hope his sentencing shows other trollers that they are not anonymous and they will be caught if they continue their vile games."

He said he had not been able to watch the Tasha the Tank Engine video as it was too distressing. Following the sentencing, Lauren Drew's father Mark spoke of the devastation it caused her family as they struggled to come to terms with her death: "We were already having a hard time. Lauren was my only daughter and I worshipped the ground she walked on and this person was hiding behind a computer.

"He caused devastation to us and other families; for so many people. It hurts but he sits behind a computer with no feeling."

Drew called for the operators of social networking sites to take more responsibility for their content: "The web is a wonderful thing if used right but as you can see in this case it was used wrongly. These days children live on Facebook, it's their lives and they're just so vulnerable."

After the hearing police said they would continue to track down offenders like Duffy.

Det Ch Insp James Hahn, of Thames Valley police, said: "Clearly this has been a very emotive case, that has caused additional distress and suffering for families who have been trying to cope with the loss of loved ones.

"Malicious communication through social networking is a new phenomenon and unfortunately shows how technology can be abused. However, our investigation shows that offenders cannot hide behind their computer screens."

Source: The Guardian

----------

Reposting this here to link future trolls who believe that their actions have no consequences. :)

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Man, I was just reading this somewhere else!

Anyway, he was being a complete and total asshole, but I can't help but feel like punishing people for being assholes on the internet opens a can of worms, not to mention rather ambitious.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official
Inactive
178 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Michael Jackson Hat
Michael Jackson Hat
Get the Completionist achievement
Acquired on 23 April 2011
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Fluttershy
Fluttershy
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 20 more

I wonder whether this will become a more common occurrence over time, or become more of a cautionary tale.

Tri-Edge
Bobo
589 posts

Who knows? I honestly hope that it becomes more common... imagine all of the POed family members.

In memory of .hack//Chat I say one last time: "Let's meet again sometime, in that place we love to go. The Root town of Mac Anu!"
.... .hack//kyat....we miss you dearly

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler
Inactive
2838 posts

Keep in mind, everyone, that this happened in the UK, where there is not guaranteed freedom of speech. As sad as incidents like these are, I doubt that there will ever be any punishment handed down in a country like the US without a massive legal debacle involving the Supreme Court. Legally, for any type of crackdown on cyber-bullying, websites like Facebook would have to start putting in the User Agreements that the user would have to essentially submit to conduct standards, and even then it's legally ambiguous dependent on wording.

Doc, I'm largely unaware of Canada's exact guaranteed freedoms and judicial review, so I can't assert the same point in a Canadian incident or for many other nations. So if anything would be different, feel free to correct me.

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

Daveris
Forum Poster
Inactive
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Sniper
Sniper
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Medic
Medic
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Spy
Spy
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 18 more

Quote:
Originally posted by Tri-Edge
Who knows? I honestly hope that it becomes more common... imagine all of the POed family members.

You sir, have just lost all respect I will ever have for you.

Blink
Commander
74 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by the dave
Quote:

It's seems as though you've fallen for the same thing this Duffy guy was arrested for :P.

What makes me a good Demoman?
If I were a bad Demoman, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I? Image

Daveris
Forum Poster
Inactive
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Sniper
Sniper
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Medic
Medic
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Spy
Spy
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 18 more

Quote:
Originally posted by Blink
Quote:
Originally posted by the dave
Quote:

It's seems as though you've fallen for the same thing this Duffy guy was arrested for :P.

Something much more commonplace, but that's not the point.

The point is that.

Guy does extreme trolling.

Member encourages it.

Y'get me?

RisingDragon
Goat Herder
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Emi Ibarazaki
Emi Ibarazaki
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Heavy
Heavy
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Demoman
Demoman
Acquired on 2 April 2012
Pyro
Pyro
Acquired on 2 April 2012

... and 18 more

... he was probably talking about the jailing happening more often, dave.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Hahahahhaha he was a sperg. More of them need to go to jail.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
Hahahahhaha he was a sperg. More of them need to go to jail.

Nah. I have nothing against legitimately diagnosed Aspies.

The self-diagnosed, too lazy to learn how to socialize and want a free pass to be assholes Ass Burgers need to be beaten severely however.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

He wasn't legit, though.

You have weird social quirks and you start thinking you have 'bergers, then everyone just assumes you have it, and yeah.

I really doubt someone with aspergers would be this cruel just because of the aspergers.

Sakura
Aqua-cadet
Inactive
1027 posts

I troll around with people on MyYearBook, to see how many requests I can get from people, but I would never do something that terrible. I mean, really?

Quote from post #228746:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
I really doubt someone with aspergers would be this cruel just because of the aspergers.

My boyfriend's doctor said he has a mild case of aspergers. He can get mad over stupid things, but he would never be that mean to someone. He also thoroughly enjoys maps, it's scary when you say a country, he can tell you where it is, and things about it. Just about every country...

Yllisos Zanon
Free Lance Bestiality
Inactive
32 posts

The whole is ridiculous if you ask me. The guy obviously wanted some sort of attention, so he decided to take the butt hole route.

For every action is a reaction.

Their coming to take me away, hee hee haw haw hoo hoo
----------------------
You cannot kill what you did not create