Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Town naming convention, Comments and ideas welcome!

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on December 30, 2011 at 15:19:12 [Post link]

With the server running in Survival mode, we tend to regroup ourselves to work in walled cities. These will tend to be established at interesting spots on the map. As we expand more and more, I think it'll be handy to have names given to each location, so we don't end up with "Desert Town 1", "Desert Town 2", "Main Town" and so on.

On my end, initially because of the rain that happens a bit too often to my taste, I've taken up to calling the main town Vancouver. Likewise, for the new desert NPC town we've secured, the name Victoria immediately came to mind because of it's proximity yet somewhat remoteness to Vancouver. This led me to think that all future towns could be named after Canadian cities.

I can understand that not everyone would want to see that, so I'm asking you: do you like this naming scheme? Or do you have something else to propose?

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on December 31, 2011 at 1:43:29 [Post link]

Quote from post #229262:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
With the server running in Survival mode, we tend to regroup ourselves to work in walled cities. These will tend to be established at interesting spots on the map. As we expand more and more, I think it'll be handy to have names given to each location, so we don't end up with "Desert Town 1", "Desert Town 2", "Main Town" and so on.

On my end, initially because of the rain that happens a bit too often to my taste, I've taken up to calling the main town Vancouver. Likewise, for the new desert NPC town we've secured, the name Victoria immediately came to mind because of it's proximity yet somewhat remoteness to Vancouver. This led me to think that all future towns could be named after Canadian cities.

I can understand that not everyone would want to see that, so I'm asking you: do you like this naming scheme? Or do you have something else to propose?

As a non-Minecraft player I'd suggest something similar, but with the cities being more tied to their environment. Like, a desert city could be named after a RL city in a desert or otherwise arid region, or the middle east just because they have badass names.

But mostly because there's a part of me that wants to know that there's a "Neo Jerusalem" out there.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on December 31, 2011 at 17:45:40 [Post link]

The only problem with this naming scheme would be if there are quite a few non-Canadian players active, especially once you run out of the well-known ones (Vancouver and Toronto are the only ones I know off the top of my head).

Mega X' suggestion of using an environmental scheme works more, since then you have a lot more names to grab from. If you want to stick to a kind of realistic scheme though, you'll have to start with using names from countries that have English as their primary language.

Except once you come across a very Quebecois area. :P

Edited by Morphman on December 31, 2011 at 18:48:09

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on January 13, 2012 at 3:35:24 [Post link]

I like that idea. It remains simple, and yet it offers a lot of possibilities!

I found another NPC village that I decided to call Stockholm. It's on a shore and near a snowy area, much like the original one. It's also an hommage to the city where the Mojang offices, Minecraft's company, are located. :)

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Sage
News reporter
All Business.

Stream: You know, I miss a lot of you.

NetNavi:
UgandaKnuckles.EXE
Z-license
Level: 10 [What's this?]
Posted on January 13, 2012 at 18:38:40 [Post link]

Quote from post #229374:

I found another NPC village that I decided to call Stockholm. It's on a shore and near a snowy area, much like the original one. It's also an hommage to the city where the Mojang offices, Minecraft's company, are located. :)

I want to go. I require my snow army.

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on January 13, 2012 at 20:19:19 [Post link]

Quote from post #229376:
Originally posted by Dr. Light
Quote from post #229374:

I want to go. I require my snow army.

Then find me in game, and I'll gladly show you the way! I'm done with securing the place against all mobs, and I want to do some construction work in the area. If you recall, I did say I wanted to find a snow biome for a specific construction project...!

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on January 23, 2012 at 18:52:17 [Post link]

As soon as I can find a download for version 1.0.1 (I've got the newest version atm) I'll be back on server and moving abroad to start another town. Dibs on Port Townsend. Seriously though - anyone got a link to a downloadable version of 1.0.1?

Pages: 1

New topic Reply