Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Suggestions on a better "get whitelisted" message?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on January 30, 2013 at 15:02:27 [Post link]

As you might know, the server is protected with a whitelist to prevent random people from logging in and immediately wreck stuff. This is merely there as a deterrent, as getting whitelisted takes only a few minutes and is automated. The short version is to create an account here, confirm the received e-mail, add the Minecraft username in the user profile, and that's it. Compared to other servers, there is no manual approval of accounts required, so it's a quick process with no wait time.

The thing is, many people find this server from various lists or forums, try to access it immediately, then get kicked off with the following message:
"Get on the whitelist! See http://www.creeperslab.net/server.php !"

Short, simple, and to the point. The problem is, the large majority of those people won't even visit the page and follow the steps, so they never come back. I'd like to retain a larger proportion of these people to expand the player base, and maybe a better message would cause them to pay attention and jump in. As such, I'm turning over to you: what message should be there to invite people to join despite the minor whitelisting inconvenience? What would get their attention?

I've got 256 characters available for the message. I obviously want to include the URL with the instructions, so that brings us down to 217. Any suggestions?

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on January 30, 2013 at 16:54:25 [Post link]

To access this server, visit...

I think the problem with the message lies in that a lot of people don't know what getting whitelisted means.

God
Not A Feminist

Stream: BREAKING NEWS!: Snape kills Dumbledore.
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 10:10:47 [Post link]

Putting a username on this site is not going to stop anybody who wants to wreck stuff. The only thing it does is make sure it's a human, rather then a bot, and ensure they are willing to go through complicated procedures and/or create an account at a site they don't necessarily have interest in, in order to get on the server. Many farmers and other server-destroying people do this, so there's no reason to believe a butcher-person wouldn't be willing to. If you think you are having trouble with too many people getting kicked off the server, why not make your human confirmation easier - i.e. not involving a site - by doing it through the chat message instead? If Minecraft allows that.

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 17:53:27 [Post link]

Really? Because it's stopped a LOT of people so far. We've had in a year what most servers without Whitelists get in two weeks.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 21:44:44 [Post link]

The whitelist has been surprisingly effective, actually, and I would say that it's our best wall of defense. In fact, the only time we had a coordinated attack from several people is that one instance where I willingly took the whitelist check offline for a few hours...

I don't want to rely on human approval of all players as we're not online 24 hours a day, and as such many newcomers would be completely powerless for several hours... and the large majority of them won't wait that long when there are so many other servers out there. Besides, I need them to register here to properly support advanced features like the achievements.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply