User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: On the topic of foods, beverages and sharing

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on May 3, 2013 at 20:47:26 [Post link]

On this lovely Friday afternoon, let me ask you a question.

Let's say you're part of a small group at work or school, of about a dozen. You decide, as a nice gesture, to bring a food item or beverage to share with everyone else. However, you're aware that a person or two in that group won't be touching it, due to a strong dislike or allergies. What do you do?

1- Bring something else on the side to make sure that everyone receives something?
or
2- It's hard to accomodate everyone, and you've already made a special effort. Majority rules.

Which side do you stand on?

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on May 3, 2013 at 21:01:08 [Post link]

Ask everyone ahead of time for ideas on what you should get so you have an idea of what the minority would be interested in.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

Sb20
Blogger
SciLab Official

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Michael Jackson Hat Fluttershy Derpy Hooves ... and 20 more

NetNavi:
KARATE003号.EXE
Z-license
Level: 17 [What's this?]
Posted on May 4, 2013 at 4:42:10 [Post link]

If you already know in advance, yeah, I think bringing in an alternative so that no one is left out is the classy way to go. Or if there's no time or budget for a second set, it's a nice gesture to find out something the minority would prefer and do that the next time. But if it becomes too expensive or difficult to find some things that a bunch of picky people can agree upon, or the exclusion would cause problems among the group, well, I just might go #3- don't bother.

EDIT: Actually, I'm often among the minority that doesn't like/want certain snack foods people try to share with me. I sometimes worry the person will be offended if I don't try their food or tell them I don't like/want whatever it is. Sometimes I just hope they won't make a big deal out of me not taking whatever it is, and since I don't want it anyway I don't really feel like I'm missing out if someone brings something I don't want. So depending on the personality it might be a non-issue in a casual setting anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edited by Sb20 on May 4, 2013 at 5:46:38

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on May 4, 2013 at 4:48:05 [Post link]

If you know for certain that Julie is allergic to peanuts but you made a glorious peanut butter pie, then yeah, get her something on the side.

But only if you know of something she likes. I dunno, sometimes people with allergies are annoying. :lol:

(I say this being allergic to meat)

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on May 6, 2013 at 16:04:05 [Post link]

Quote from post #232094:
Originally posted by HollowTorment

(I say this being allergic to meat)

Is that why you have the personality of a carrot with road rage?

I suppose it would depend on how many people are bringing food items. If there's 12 people and everyone's bringing something little, it's not going make a difference if the few can't have your peanutbutter and oyster sauce sandwiches on honey wheat bread. If there's only a few people bringing stuff though, then absolutely bring a little something on the side.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on May 8, 2013 at 16:17:23 [Post link]

I don't think I'm much of a carrot. I think I'm more a radish.

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on May 31, 2013 at 17:33:11 [Post link]

If someone has an allergy, I would probably avoid bringing the food altogether, unless I know they can be in the room without dying. I know many nut allergies can be very severe where they could just smell the food and start to go into antiepileptic shock. I would probably bring a small something for them to eat if I brought two things or just bring a general food that everyone likes and enjoys, without negatively affecting the other two people.
I've always been too nice when bringing stuff for people anyways so I usually end up overpaying too much for group gatherings. "Katy likes Coke but Selene likes Pepsi, and I know how much Ben likes apple pie, so many as well also buy a cheesecake."

Pages: 1

New topic Reply