User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Microsoft, Xbox and DRM

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 19, 2013 at 21:59:48 [Post link]

I wonder if whoever's in charge of the new Xbox at Microsoft is bipolar or schizophrenic.

All that talk about the Xbox having a compulsory online check every 24 hours? That games couldn't be traded? Region lock?

They just pulled a 180 and dropped all that.

I've got a feeling someone didn't like the preorder numbers since E3...

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

RisingDragon
Goat Herder

Badges: Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Pyro Heavy Demoman ... and 18 more
Stream: College and education can go straight to hell n...

NetNavi:
WhiteGlint.EXE
Z-license
Level: 63 [What's this?]
Posted on June 20, 2013 at 4:50:41 [Post link]

Maybe now they'll rename it to the Xbox One-Eighty.

"Why do you care that I care that you care enough to care that I care for caring?" "Conversation isn't your strong point, is it?"
"I worship the supreme comrade Cossack!"
"OugharagarraaahhHHH: When 'Ow' just won't cut it."
ImageImage

CAPCOM: We put the "No" in Innovation.

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on June 20, 2013 at 9:12:03 [Post link]

Despite what everyone who absolutely refused to do any research said, I stuck by Microsoft, knowing full well they'd ditch the 24 hour check altogether. That said, me and most people I know were perfectly ok with their previous plans with DRM etc after reading this.

http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous-xbox-engineer-explains-drm-and-microsofts-xbox-one-intentions

I'm actually kind of sad to see used games still being an option, for long and drawn out reasons that I'm too lazy to explain, so I'll just link someone ELSE explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQUBnqcFEM

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 20, 2013 at 13:44:11 [Post link]

Quote from post #232250:
Originally posted by WindRider739
Despite what everyone who absolutely refused to do any research said, I stuck by Microsoft, knowing full well they'd ditch the 24 hour check altogether.

I half-expected them to drop it too, because it sounded so stupid, but they still suggested it. They still floated that balloon. That means that, at some point, they considered the idea as a valid one.

The problem with an online check, assuming it's implemented, is what happens when the console gets old enough. They decide to pull the plug on the authentication servers. 24 hours later, your console because useless forever? One of the big upsides of consoles is that they work, under any circumstances. Hurting that convenience should be a big no-no.

I'm already annoyed enough with mobile games that require an online validation once in a while. If you can't validate your install every few days, you can't play your game. Simple as that. And that's a big problem for me:
1- I don't have a data plan. No Internet = no validation.
2- Even if I did, I mostly play those games during my commute, which includes a lengthy subway segment. Underground = no Internet = no validation.

Games are made for our enjoyment. If I can't play them easily, then they're being annoying and I don't want that when I'm supposed to be having fun.

On the other hand, I could be convinced to agree on the used sales thing. I don't look at the used games in Gamestop / EBGames / whatever as I know that the price difference between used and new isn't usually worth it. I think I ever purchased a used game from them ONCE, as it had a large price drop from launch and it couldn't be easily found anymore.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on June 25, 2013 at 0:21:52 [Post link]

Quote:
I stuck by Microsoft,

The company isn't a person, there's no need to "stick by" them.

I find it funny that Games For Windows Live is getting DDOSed still by angry gamers who are trying to get their point across. It's been happening for a few days now.

WindRider739
Cyberspace Ghost Hunter

Stream: AAAAAAAAAHAHA it let me add me as a friend!

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 12 [What's this?]
Posted on June 30, 2013 at 9:00:38 [Post link]

I didn't mean it in a Tammy Wynette kind of way, Hollow. I meant it in an I trust Microsoft - as far as video game consoles go - to have the business sense to not screw their customers over in such a huge way, especially when so many were revolting. They tried to do some new stuff, and everyone threw a fit, so they said 'Fine. We'll just go ahead and stick with the old formula. Here you go.' Despite what PS4 fanboys and PC elitists want to tell us, Microsoft consistently delivers quality products in and on the Xbox consoles.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on July 7, 2013 at 1:26:39 [Post link]

Yes, quality products.

I wonder how fast the Xbox One will RROD?

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on July 8, 2013 at 0:04:34 [Post link]

Quote from post #232279:
Originally posted by WindRider739
I didn't mean it in a Tammy Wynette kind of way, Hollow. I meant it in an I trust Microsoft - as far as video game consoles go - to have the business sense to not screw their customers over in such a huge way, especially when so many were revolting. They tried to do some new stuff, and everyone threw a fit, so they said 'Fine. We'll just go ahead and stick with the old formula. Here you go.' Despite what PS4 fanboys and PC elitists want to tell us, Microsoft consistently delivers quality products in and on the Xbox consoles.

Are you implying the others don't? PS3/ PC/ Wii and so on can all tout they have quality hardware/ software, and the only difference between them and Microsoft in terms of the quality of their products is that Microsoft gets the honor of putting their name on the console with the highest failure rate.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply