Topic: Rumored Microsoft Buyout

Pages: 1

kagato
Minecraft op
Contributor
Superstar!

Badges: Squid beaker 100 credits 150 credits
Posted on September 10, 2014 at 14:56:49 [Post link]

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/microsoft-buying-mojang-minecraft/?ncid=rss_truncated

If true (given that folks are denying comment, you know that there are at least talks going on) and it does happen, I'm kind of on both sides of the fence with my thoughts on the matter.

On one hand, Microsoft has some smart, talented programmers. Make all the jokes you want about Windows and it's long hated history, but they can/do some quality work (die in a fire Andro and your Apple zealot kind and stop dealing in absolutes of one thing being better than something else). Can you imagine how quickly a true API could be produced under their guidance? Granted that'd be based on the theory that MS takes an active hand in development and doesn't let the current folks just run the course. Given Mojang's track record of development, I think this would be a VERY good thing. Microsoft has been trying to make inroads to stave off the free-source world; what better way to shake that up than a game with thousands of folks continually contributing code, whether via server back-ends like Bukkit/Spigot or the hundreds/thousands of plugins/mods available; DMCA drama or not. Not to mention you no longer have nutbag Ballmer at the helm, so there may be hope for Microsoft.

Now on the flip-side. Microsoft, as far as the PC gaming is concerned, has not been a big name for some time. Which is kind of sad as there used to be some really good titles from them back in the day. "Games for Windows" at it's inception, was a great idea which unfortunately fell by the wayside when they went all in with the introduction of the XBox and never tried bridging the two worlds. Now that they're looking to become relevant again, I can see the desire to be part of a game that is practically known the world over. While Microsoft is not EA, I still would be concerned about how they would plan to handle control of it's continuance. For the Xbox/PS iterations of the game, I can see DLC being a continued thing (skin packs, etc.), for the PC version since you can modify it to your hearts content, hopefully things remain status quo.

Chuck Norris doesn't need garbage collection because he doesn't call .Dispose(), he calls .DropKick().

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on September 10, 2014 at 15:36:49 [Post link]

Last night, I was all "haha, no way, but rumors are fun". The more I think about it, however...

The thing that bugs me the most is that the entire MC dev team has gone silent for several days. They're usually yapping about everything and nothing on Twitter, even if it's a bad idea: it isn't like them to stay quiet, especially ALL of them at once. I thought that, since this silence started right at the same time as the Bukkit/Spigot DMCA deal, that Mojang's lawyers had wisely told everyone to shut up until plans could be made. I still think it's a strong possibility. On the other hand, serious talks for a buyout would also lead to a similar lack of comment from all parties...

If the story was completely made-up, I believe someone at Mojang would have said something by now. While the rumor came out during night time in Sweden, a full work day has about passed by now. There's something or other going on, but whatever it is, I have no idea. It could be anything.

I don't see Microsoft as a big, bad evil. When they purchase companies, they tend to let them run their own show, at least for a while, and they wouldn't be stupid enough to shut down all non PC/Xbox versions. Minecraft is a money-maker, and Microsoft is present where money is. Heck, they publish software and apps for Apple's platforms, too! In any case, this is a better option than a purchase from EA or Activision.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

kagato
Minecraft op
Contributor
Superstar!

Posted on September 15, 2014 at 13:32:12 [Post link]

It is done:
https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

Chuck Norris doesn't need garbage collection because he doesn't call .Dispose(), he calls .DropKick().

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on September 15, 2014 at 13:37:52 [Post link]

And for even MORE money than first speculated, too! That's a lot of money.

I'll have an official response today or tomorrow. The short version: don't freak out!

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

doorgunnerjgs
Lead character

Posted on September 15, 2014 at 14:43:20 [Post link]

It's official! On the Xbox Facebook page this morning.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-microsoft

Exodio's Dad (Salifax's Father)

kagato
Minecraft op
Contributor
Superstar!

Posted on September 15, 2014 at 15:00:44 [Post link]

Twitter's probably going to have a meltdown today.

doorgunnerjgs
Lead character

Posted on September 15, 2014 at 15:08:51 [Post link]

Masterlink posted this in my now locked down thread in Creeperslab forum. Excellent read from Notch:
http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

Edited by doorgunnerjgs on September 15, 2014 at 10:09:59

Exodio's Dad (Salifax's Father)

kagato
Minecraft op
Contributor
Superstar!

Posted on September 15, 2014 at 15:14:31 [Post link]

I for one welcome our new Microsoft overlords.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on September 15, 2014 at 15:37:18 [Post link]

Quote from post #235033:
Originally posted by kagato
Twitter's probably going to have a meltdown today.

And Reddit.

At least the Mojang people are talking again!

Pages: 1

New topic Reply