Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: E3 Xbox Announcement - Mojang/Minecraft

Pages: 1

doorgunnerjgs
Lead character

Posted on June 12, 2017 at 5:25:10 [Post link]

Okay, I watched Xbox at E3 today, and Mojang was represented and announced cross platform connectivity(?). at least that was how I interpreted it. What say you, especially Doc. Think we'll see the day when we can get on Creepers Lab from an Xbox or phone or tablet???? Some new texture pack was also featured but may be for Xbox only. Interesting times ahead, I think!

Exodio's Dad (Salifax's Father)

MediaKlepto
Super moderator
Minecraft op
Contributor
Master Bard

Badges: Zenny Squid beaker 150 credits 100 credits 100 credits ... and 1 more

NetNavi:
Sweet.EXE
Z-license
Level: 20 [What's this?]
Posted on June 12, 2017 at 17:22:42 [Post link]

So far it seems like they intend on leaving Java Edition as its own entity, with connectivity (and finally server support) for platforms not coded with everyone's favorite coffee language.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, considering the toxicity of Xbox gamers (not that it's exclusive to console players, mind you) versus the expandability of play style.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on June 13, 2017 at 3:12:15 [Post link]

I was watching this as it happened. The short version is, Mojang will allow cross-platform connectivity between the Xbox One, mobile (tablets and phones), Switch, VR and Windows 10 editions of Minecraft to play together. They'll call all of these "Minecraft", without any subtitles like "Pocket Edition".

Some notable exceptions that won't benefit from this:
- PS4, because Sony doesn't like you
- Older consoles (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U), because they're probably not getting new features anymore
- Java Edition, what we all play and call Minecraft

Making the Java version play nicely with the others is probably difficult, if not impossible right now since the two have different features, blocks and such. They've been gradually moving closer, though, so who knows.

What this means is, the Creeper's Lab will still only be playable through your computer (Windows, OS X, Linux) for the time being. Who knows what the future has in store for us, though!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply