Interordi Menu
479 posts

CAIRO, Egypt - An Egyptian baby born with two heads was in stable condition on Sunday after doctors at a provincial hospital removed one of the heads in a 13-hour operation, the doctors said.

Nasif Hifnawy, head of pediatrics at Benha Children’s Hospital, told Reuters that 10-month-old Manar Maged could move all four limbs and showed no signs of paralysis.

“Manar is now breathing normally and has a normal heartbeat and blood pressure,” he added. The baby remains in intensive care at the hospital, 25 miles north of Cairo, and doctors expect her to stay there for at least seven days.

Manar was born with a rare condition known as craniopagus parasiticus, which occurs when an embryo begins to split into identical twins but fails to complete the process. One of the conjoined twins fails to develop fully in the womb.

As in the case of a girl who died after similar surgery in the Dominican Republic a year ago, the second twin had developed no body. The head that was removed from Manar had been capable of smiling and blinking but not independent life, doctors said.

The 13-strong surgical team separated Manar’s brain from the conjoined organ in small stages on Saturday, cutting off the blood supply to the extra head while preventing increased blood flow to Manar’s heart, which would have risked cardiac arrest.

Benha was chosen for its equipment and proximity to the girl’s family.

Last February, seven-week-old Rebeca Martinez died in the Dominican Republic after surgery to remove a second head

My mom can still beat your dad up!!

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Wow, someone gets arrested for spim and now two headed babies? This year rocks already!

I'm older school than you are.

AimMan v2.5
Superstar!
Inactive
2429 posts

Well, that is sad and all, but it's more of a happy story don't you think? Since it all worked out ok. Unless you mean it's sad that he doesn't get to live live two-headed. Which is partially agreeable.:lol:

Join the DevART Megaman Legends Club:
http://megaman-legends-club.deviantart.com

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here
4029 posts

It's sad, though, as one of the twins (the extra head) died.

AimMan v2.5
Superstar!
Inactive
2429 posts

Ah. I forgot about the whole split embryo thing incorporated in twins. Hrmm...

Join the DevART Megaman Legends Club:
http://megaman-legends-club.deviantart.com

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Uh, is it really a twin if it's just a head?

I say they should've forced the head to live on its own because babies lives are too precious even if they are grotesque and in severe pain from the day they're born

Zera
Zera
Inactive
913 posts

It's kinda creepy that the extra head cold blink and crap. I think like the extra head has no brain so it uses the formed one's brain.

o hay

Smirnoff
Superstar!
Inactive
1069 posts

NO, It's kinda creepy that the other baby head actually shared a brain vessel with the main baby and could actually think and stuff...To be honest..If I saw that baby in real life when It had the extra head, I would've laughed and took pictures...I know...my signature says it already...

~entropy
DoomSayer
Inactive
120 posts

that was really creepy... (the whole 2head thing)
But, im confused. On netscape it said that, but i didn't see anyone dieng except the 2nd head. Did 1st head die or what? I don't get it
:conf:

It's the end of the world...
Get used to it.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST. IT DOES NOT EXIST. IT IS A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.

No, really.

I'm serious!

94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature.

The results of my MMBN personality quiz VVV

Samsara
4029 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
Uh, is it really a twin if it's just a head?
What's the difference between conjoined twins that are joined at the hips an share legs to conjoined twins who are joined at the nexks and share the rest of the body? They're all twins regardless of where they are connected.
Quote:

I say they should've forced the head to live on its own because babies lives are too precious even if they are grotesque and in severe pain from the day they're born
I'll take that as sarcasm.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

I say that in cases where the baby is in extreme pain, and will likely die a slow painful death anyway, that it should be euthanized. After all, my religion would send the baby to heaven anyway. To be honest, he isn't missing much. >_>

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Samsara
4029 posts

Actualy, he's missing a lifetime of agony. Not nice, though.

[Edited on 25/2/05 by AirMan]

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

I meant he's not really missing anything worth going through a lifetime of agony for.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Samsara
4029 posts

I know what you meant. It was sarcasm. However, it was a semi-serious point. It's still better to let them die naturally if they're that bad.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

Yeah, sorry. It's always hard to tell in writing.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Samsara
4029 posts

You're telling me! It's a serious problem on the MegaMan Matrix message board. Everyoe's always sarcastic, and I can never tell! I'm only a Noob there and I'm already getting quite famous for it! :lol:

[Edited on 26/2/05 by Indifferent Protester]

[Edited on 26/2/05 by Indifferent Protester]

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

Italics can help, but I also use those for emphasis. Just goes to show, nothing can ever repplace face-to-face conversation.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

~entropy
DoomSayer
Inactive
120 posts

[quote]Originally posted by AirMan
You're telling me! It's a serious problem on the MegaMan Matrix[/url[ message board. Everyoe's always sarcastic, and I can never tell! I'm only a Noob there and I'm already getting quite famous for it! :lol: [/quote]
You got the second square bracket on the link wrong...
[url=http://www.megaman.co.uk]MegaMan
Matrix

It should have been that. Here's another link!
CLICK HERE

[Edited on 26-2-2005 by ~entropy]

Get used to it.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST. IT DOES NOT EXIST. IT IS A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.

No, really.

I'm serious!

94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature.

Master_Tiger
The MIB Goku
Inactive
397 posts

all i have to say is, when/if that baby grows up to be an elementry student with questions, its mother is gonna have some crazy stories to tell. like this famous one:

"how are babies born"
"why with two heads sweetie"

My site to be, to find out about its progress click the image ^

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by AirMan
What's the difference between conjoined twins that are joined at the hips an share legs to conjoined twins who are joined at the nexks and share the rest of the body? They're all twins regardless of where they are connected.

But it seems as this "twin" was just a head, not able to do things on its own, just kind of "there". Not a sentient being. That's what I mean by "is it really a twin if it's just a head that blinks".

Yes, there's infamous twins with one body and two heads..like those sisters who keep needing back surgery because their lower lumbar has to support almost the weight of two upper torsos.

And yeah, I was being sarcastic with the second thing there. Just trying to act like the psychos who refuse to euthanize babies who are born harlequin or without a brain.

Samsara
4029 posts

[quote]Originally posted by ~entropy
[quote]Originally posted by AirMan
You're telling me! It's a serious problem on the MegaMan Matrix[/url[ message board. Everyoe's always sarcastic, and I can never tell! I'm only a Noob there and I'm already getting quite famous for it! :lol: [/quote]
You got the second square bracket on the link wrong...
[url=http://www.megaman.co.uk]MegaMan
Matrix

It should have been that. Here's another link!
CLICK HERE

[Edited on 26-2-2005 by ~entropy] [/quote]

Yes, I d know how to do links, it was a typing error.

Hollow, if a person has a brain and can blink, they are concious. Regardless of whether they are in full control of their body, or not.

~entropy
DoomSayer
Inactive
120 posts

i figured, i just wanted to say

Get used to it.

No, really.

I'm serious!

Shadowfire
The Third Commander
Inactive
653 posts

Blinking is merely a reflex action, and it only takes a few nerves and a tiny cluster of brain cells to smile. I hate to break it to you folks, but blinking and smiling does not denote the presence of a soul. Besides, most cases where a baby is born with two heads, including animals, one of the heads is underdeveloped, and simply hampers the overall ability of the organism to survive. You guys should be happy that the baby is now healthy, and will be able to live a relatively normal life, now.

[Edited on 28-2-2005 by Shadowfire]

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Yeah, what Shadowfire said, I took too long to reply. :lol:

"The head that was removed from Manar had been capable of smiling and blinking but not independent life, doctors said." which led me to believe that the head was what Shadowfire elaborated on, it's just an underdeveloped head, not an actual child's head capable of "independent life" as the doctors put it.

~entropy
DoomSayer
Inactive
120 posts

well, shadowfire just inderectly answered my question. *crickets*

Get used to it.

No, really.

I'm serious!