Interordi Menu
The forums have received a major upgrade! Read on for the details!
fox
Lil' metool
Inactive
4 posts

u gotta like nivana man
do u?

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here
Inactive
4029 posts

HELL YEAH! (I assume you mean the band)

Kurt Cobain was one of the greatest songwriters I have ever known and that is saying a lot. He used song writing as a form of threopy for his...demons.

I only a few words to Smells Like Teen Spirit (Hello hello hello Hello, Hello hello hello Hello, Hello hello hello Hello)

-_-

[Edited on 12/3/05 by Indifferent Protester]

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Nirvana was and still is the most overhyped piece of shit band ever.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
6449 posts

<insert bad joke-reference to Buddhism>.

What?

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
Nirvana was and still is the most overhyped piece of shit band ever.

Pure opinion. I for one am a huge fan of their work. Hollow, you should look at the fact that they brought that dirgey type of punk out into the open. They overthrew sucky bands like GnR, dude. You should atleast respect them instead of calling them stuff like that. Mainstream doesn't equal bad. Of course they sold out, but atleast they knew that they did.

Nirvana's music is like Satanism, it isn't for everyone. Some may like it but only few will get it.

And to fox: Please use proper grammer in your future posts.

To Airman: Kurt, Krist, and Dave all wrote 'Teen Spirit'. Not the best song they did (Old Age kicks ass) but still good. I know all the words to it:D

I'm older school than you are.

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

I didn't mean to imply that he wrote it alone. The two comments were separate.:P Yeah, I'd better learn the words if we are to do that song in concert in seven weeks time.

Hollow, you must agree they're much better than most of the crap that's around now. McFly. WTF? They just don't have it. Nirvana did.

[Edited on 12/3/05 by Indifferent Protester]

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Nirvana also had energy behind their music. Not very many bands can do that. I think the last band that acually was a 'big band' that got banned was Nirvana. Before that it was Sex Pistols.

1271 posts

I like them i just cant remember the songs, and the lyrics but they are still good!

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

...dirgey type of punk is a good thing since..when?

And I prefer Guns N Roses over this, yes. Guns N Roses is utter crap now (whatever's left of them..) but they rocked out in the old days.

And yes, I do agree that Nirvana is better than the emo bullshit they play on the radio nowadays. That crap makes me want to stab people. ;)

See, I just think Nirvana was/is crap because of the lead singer and horrible songwriting (and of course all of the idiots going "omg nirvana is teh best evar wtf!!!11"). As the ever-crass Howard Stern said to the Foo Fighter's lead singer, "You have a great voice. I'm glad Cobain died, you sing so much better than he ever did." :lol:

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
...dirgey type of punk is a good thing since..when?
That isn't punk. What I class as punk is yelling over loud semi-power chords (just using the Bottom E, A and D stings) whilst dressed as a parrot.

Quote:
And I prefer Guns N Roses over this, yes. Guns N Roses is utter crap now (whatever's left of them..) but they rocked out in the old days.
Guns 'n' Roses were and still are cool. They are and were a great band. Slash is an insane guitarist (take that as you will :D)

Quote:
And yes, I do agree that Nirvana is better than the emo bullshit they play on the radio nowadays. That crap makes me want to stab people. ;)
Errrrrrm...oooooook. It doesn't quite make me want to go on a murder-rampage, but I want to beat the crap out of them.... (McFly, at least)

Quote:
See, I just think Nirvana was/is crap because of the lead singer and horrible songwriting (and of course all of the idiots going "omg nirvana is teh best evar wtf!!!11"). As the ever-crass Howard Stern said to the Foo Fighter's lead singer, "You have a great voice. I'm glad Cobain died, you sing so much better than he ever did." :lol:
I've never met anyone saying "omg nirvana is teh best evar wtf!!!11". I've heard people say "Yeah, Nirvana were good". Kurt Cobain wrote wonderful songs. Very dark songs, but what do you expect from someone who supposedly committed suicide. No matter what you think though, saying "I'm glad they're dead" just because you didn't like their music just isn't on.

[Edited on 17/3/05 by Indifferent Protester]

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Like I said Hollow, Nirvana is like Satanism, it isn't for everyone and deffinatly isn't for someone who sees talent in Axl Rose singing about "faggots and immigrants." G'nR's songs were just everyone in the band doing their own thing while Nirvana brought back the melody that was absent since the Beatles. Kurt Cobain's vocals were a perfect blend of Lennon and Lemmy (Kilmster from MotorHead). Nirvana was a punk band, though. Not the traditinal 'punk' like Sex Pistols or the Clash, but still punk by deffinition.

the_dreamer36
Revolutionary Musician
Inactive
313 posts

I don't have strong opinion on Nirvana, I think they were okay. However I would like to correct all of you, Nirvana was not punk, they were grunge, LEARN YOUR GENRES.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

-Benjamin Franklin

Smirnoff
Superstar!
Inactive
1069 posts

Dude, Nirvana was a great band. I liked all their music and stuff, although I had to listen to the songs over a few times to even under stand what in bloody hell he was saying. Too Bad the lead singer shot himself with a shotgun

[/inserts joke about singers being drug addicts/]

P.S. Im pissed off at the world for the fact that rock music is becoming less popular, damned rap crap...

SolarWarrior
Superstar!
Inactive
553 posts

Nirvana ruined rock, and I'm glad The Darkness, Jet, The Killers and The Zutons are here to clean up the mess Nirvana made, and bring rock back to it's true purpose, and put angst out of its misery. Rock is about good times, not how depressed the lead singer is.

[Edited on 14-3-2005 by SolarWarrior]

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Oooo...fresh ammo.

First: Nirvana was a punk band. No group ever called themselves grunge. It was a term that the media use to describe the dirty sound. Nirvana, in the early Subpop days, had their sound described as 'heavy-pop/punk/dirge' on a one-sheet. Their major influences were all punk bands (the Pixies, the Melvins, and the Stooges) and their music has the basic punk formula with power coard repitition, simple drum beats, and great bass lines.

Second: Kurt Cobain did not shoot himself. The medical evidence is proof enough of this. Visit Cobaincase.com for more info.

Third: Nirvana did nothing to ruin rock. If it were not for the whole "grunge" movement (Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, ect.) there would never be alternative rock. All the bands you listed (exspecialy the Killers) use their angst to some extent. There is no deffinition of 'rock' anyways. If anything it's about freedom to do what you want to which is exactly what Nirvana did.

I tell all of you to look past Nevermind and to look at the bootleged concerts and the benifit they played at and what the stood for and what they stood agaist.

ELBURITO
I left.
Inactive
1584 posts

Great band...one of the best. But seriously. Everything (evar, yes with an a) to dicuss about them has ben discussed 10 times at least.

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ELBURITO
Great band...one of the best. But seriously. Everything (evar, yes with an a) to dicuss about them has ben discussed 10 times at least.

I bet I could name a few things that haven't :D

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Did I specify anywhere that I thought Axl Rose was talented?

No.

Again, I thought Nirvana was crap (and still do) because the words used aren't quite good (Come on.. "rape me, my friend"? I don't care what it "means" or whatever shit all the fans have tried to piece together. The words are "rape me" and that's something I personally wouldn't consider "good".), you can't understand Cobain half the time, and the trashy 'punk' sound isn't my cup of tea.

Guns N Roses have a sound that I enjoy. It's personal preference. I listen to music. I'm not trying to find a "message" in the lyrics. I like music that I can sing to someone, and they'll know what it is, because they can understand the singer who originally sang them.

I listen to a "controversial" band that alot of people think is crap/sucks/is bad; Marilyn Manson. But I don't care that he's singing such lyrics as "God is just a statistic" and "Saw heaven and hell were lies, when I'm God everyone dies".. I just like the way the words sound coming outta Manson's mouth. Same way with Axl Rose. Yeah okay, so he said "faggots" or whatever..I don't care, I say that alot too. I like Axl Rose's voice, however strained and raspy it is.

So yeah, it's all about the lead singer for me, and Kurt Cobain was a terrible lead.

I also disagree about the "ruining rock" thing. If anything the popularity of Nirvana spawned some great bands, like Soundgarden and possibly Pearl Jam.

(And dammit Airman, I didn't say "I'm glad he's dead", Howard Stern did. :lol: I just had to put that quip there.)

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

Nirvana's songs weren't ment to have meaning. I respect you not liking them Hollow but you never had to say "overhyped piece of shit" exsecialy that you just contradicted yourself with saying that they spawned bands that you like.

And you just said that you like Axl's "talent." Think before you type.

G-unit
Lead character
Inactive
151 posts

i don't like it I don't even know it:muha:

Protonman
Robot master
Inactive
65 posts

I got Kurt's biography in my hand right now, excellent. His songs all had meanings. In Bloom is about a friend of theirs who was a very big Nirvana fan before they were big. Kurt wasn't the best guitarist but Nirvana still rule.

Do one later.

ELBURITO
I left.
Inactive
1584 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.match
Nirvana's songs weren't ment to have meaning.

maybe their crappy 'noise' songs. Have you listened to their lyrics? I would say ALOT of their songs have meaning. All Apologies, You know your right, Do Re Mi, About a Girl, Drain me, Polly, Dumb, Rape me, Frances Farmer will have her revenge on seattle (and the list goes on)

His songs mean something, trust me

On the contrary---a lot of them don't (smells like teen spirit, most overrated song evar) But some are "Just a bunch of cool things to say" (Kurt Cobain commenting on some of the noise songs) Either way, its still music, its experimental and its creative....and by the way. Nirvana is an influence on almost every rock band after them.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.match
Nirvana's songs weren't ment to have meaning. I respect you not liking them Hollow but you never had to say "overhyped piece of shit" exsecialy that you just contradicted yourself with saying that they spawned bands that you like.

Overhyped pieces of shit can spawn good things. Overhype causes themes to get popular. Look at Pokemon for example..overhyped to death. Spawned Digimon, Monster Rancher, and most likely even Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, and all those other types of monster/monster in the cards games. Some people like the first thing created. As you love and obsess over Nirvana it seems. :lol: Some people prefer the things spawned after and like it BETTER than the thing that started it all. And you know plenty of people who like Digimon "hate" Pokemon, and plenty who like Yugioh "hate" Pokemon..

People aren't legally liable to worship the person/thing that made the idea first.

But see, I think you're like another person I talk to on occassion..and since I insulted "your" band you take the insult personally, towards yourself. Just note that I'm a being on the internet with an opinion differing from yours, and that's all.

Quote:
And you just said that you like Axl's "talent." Think before you type.

I don't even remember saying that, because guess what, I didn't. I didn't say the man was talented. I said I liked his bands sound, and his voice. You don't have to have talent to scream into a microphone at the correct intervals.

eternal dragon
emboy of eternity
Inactive
159 posts

Quote:

u gotta like nivana man

question is?
WHO DOESNT?
no matter if you like pop or rock,this group is a classic
(BURN IN HELL COURTNEY,HAHAHAHA)
,......must controll my dark side

Sorry for been ausent all this time,but,dude darkeness its some serius bussiness....
just kidding just a long vacation and a really long
'duh.....I must do something but I can tell what it is'

Smirnoff
Superstar!
Inactive
1069 posts

Wait a sec, I read that site and on the botton it says

"Examine the evidence. Have a close look at the real facts. This is not rocket science.
The medical evidence alone proves beyond a reasonable doubt . . .
KURT COBAIN WAS MURDERED
" Murdered? I thought he comitted suicide with heroine?

[Edited on 16-3-2005 by Megaman Masta]

Protonman
Robot master
Inactive
65 posts

The theory is that he was so pumped on heorine he would've passed out before he had the time to get the shotgun and shoot himself in the mouth, or through the mouth. The shotgun cartridge was on the wrong side, ie it shot out the wrong side.
but I don't think its true, Courtney had no motive to kill Kurt, really.

Do one later.

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

I dunno. Cobain was depressed, and constantly stoned. Small wonder conclusions were drawn.

Nirvana were a good band. I don't care what anyone says, my oppinion is mine, no-one's going to change it and I don't see the point in arguing with anyone.

eternal dragon
emboy of eternity
Inactive
159 posts

recently,it was discovered than he had 2 shoots on the head,how would he shoot himself twice?thats a little nuts
(YOU ARE MINE ,COURTNEY:devil::devil::devil:)
Damn!!my dark side again!!!!

Sorry for been ausent all this time,but,dude darkeness its some serius bussiness....
just kidding just a long vacation and a really long
'duh.....I must do something but I can tell what it is'

Samsara
Inactive
4029 posts

That's not the only time I've heard of someone shooting themselfs multiple times in the head. A pathetic attempt at a cover-up.

mr.match
Red Panda
Inactive
760 posts

[quote]Originally posted by Megaman Masta
Wait a sec, I read that site and on the botton it says

"Examine the evidence. Have a close look at the real facts. This is not rocket science.
The medical evidence alone proves beyond a reasonable doubt . . .
KURT COBAIN WAS MURDERED
" Murdered? I thought he comitted suicide with heroine?

[Edited on 16-3-2005 by Megaman Masta] [/quote]
He was shot! And Courtney was NOT the one who pulled the trigger. She had motives, Kurt was going to change his will, but she was out of state. She had hired someone to kill Kurt before but he said no. Some say that she hired someone else and some say that she got the nanny that was working for them to do it. Who ever did it was certainly not Cobain himself.

And to ELBURITO: Kurt also said "I like it when people try to take apart my songs to find a deep meaning behind it all. The truth is that none of the songs have much reason. When I wrote them I didn't know what I was trying to say." This is from an interview with Advocate magizine. He also said that he was "just trying to rip off the Pixies."