Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Gay fag?, It\\\'s...complicated.

Pages: 1 2

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 14, 2006 at 23:48:55 [Post link]

As you'll recall, old ones, we had a Spammer a few summers ago who at one point called us "gay fags".

Recently I took up a conversation with 3 of my friends. We weren't able to come to a decision on whether calling someone a "gay fag" would insinuate homosexuality or not.

2 of us thought that it would be sort of a cancellation, while the other 2 thought it would simply mean more of the same intent.

So I bring the question to you: What do you think?

And yes, I know this is an odd question.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Juno
I AM the Iron Pony!!

Badges: Rainbow Dash Derpy Hooves Fluttershy Pinkie Pie Princess Celestia ... and 18 more
Stream: My skin shall forever be...Ponies!!

NetNavi:
Juno.EXE
Z-license
Level: 13 [What's this?]
Posted on February 14, 2006 at 23:54:47 [Post link]

It's an oxymoron. It is meant to mean that we're all really gay, but by adding fags on there it cancels it out, and makes it mean the opposite... An oxymoron.

~Juno~

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 0:19:52 [Post link]

Haha, I dunno if Doc would approve that F word. ;)

But I do think it means, to the common man, that you are a "extreme homosexual".

Of course, the higher ups ;) who know that gay is such a low class insult, considers "gay fag" to be a cancellation of both.

Zera
Zera

Stream: Hello Neighbor.
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 0:26:32 [Post link]

From where I come from (Georgia), gay fag is just another word used for idiot, dumbass, someone annoying, ect. We're saying it so much, that they are making videos and stuff saying they are bad. Heh, they even surveyed us on it. I said I say it all the time, I don't think it's fun, and it's funny. Then it asked why we say it if we do. I said it just comes to our mouth faster.

I had 2 weeks of therapy with the school councilor (sp?) after that. I would have had like 2 months or so if I hadn't told my mom about it.

During those 2 weeks, They said why I wouldn't say something a little better, like stupid, idiot, that sort of stuff. I replied, again, "It comes to my mouth sooner." The term is used a lot at our school. Gay more than gay fag however.

Things at my school are really just either "cool" or "gay".

o hay

Spider777
Banned

Stream: Please ban me Doc.
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 1:54:05 [Post link]

I voted first. Fags are stupid.

Bye-bye, Inti.... IF Doc bans me like I told him to.

Rioni... thanks for the Final-Zero music..

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 2:16:28 [Post link]

Ah, the children of America.

You all need to be slapped. Alot.

Zera
Zera

Stream: Hello Neighbor.
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 2:47:35 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment

:D

Well, it's not like I want to say those things. I'm forced to. My insticts just yell out to me to do it. But I really just call it to the dumbasses of America. Not the retards the or nice people.

o hay

Kia_Purity
Solid Kia

Stream: Naked Raiden cartwheels
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 2:49:22 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment

Seconded. Jeez, Spider777.

Edit-- I really hope you meant the word, though. X_o

And let us remember... fags originally meant cigarettes and gay meant to be happy. Where did we go wrong?

[Edited on 15-2-2006 by Kia_Purity]

--Mod of Ioekaki--

Best quotes from IRC:
* DrCossack hits Evan on the head with Zero's thong.
<Kia_Purity> wat <Kia_Purity> "Queen of Interordi" <Kia_Purity> who did that? XD (from april fools '06)
* DragonBlayde thwacks Mega_X with Kia's thongs <Kia_Purity> NOT MY THONGS

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 3:27:56 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Zera
Well, it's not like I want to say those things. I'm forced to.

You're not being "forced" at all.

Quote:
My insticts just yell out to me to do it.

Your "insticts" tell you be a trucking moron? Nice. Funny how you say it's against "the retards of America" when you're being one when you say it. Irony.

AimMan v2.5
Superstar!

Stream: Ask me about GSCOM!
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 4:02:59 [Post link]

You know how to avoid using terms like "gay" in negative definition? Don't use foul language at all. Sheesh people. Am I the only person who doesn't do that?:P

I'd imagine most people intend it to mean "double the gayness." I believe the term is actually quite ineffective, by which I mean that it does not convey the intended definition. Or at the very least, it is repetetive.

It is sad, Kia.

[Edited on 15-2-2006 by AimMan v2.5]

Join the DevART Megaman Legends Club:
http://megaman-legends-club.deviantart.com

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 4:15:28 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Kia_Purity
And let us remember... fags originally meant cigarettes and gay meant to be happy. Where did we go wrong?

"Fags" still means "cigarettes" in the UK, and possibly Australia. As for "gay", in French, both uses are sort of equal at this point. You need the context to be able to tell.

Honestly, I find this topic utterly pointless, but I'll let it run just in case that it doesn't slip too much. If idiots go too far, I'll quickly lock this.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!

Stream: Huzzah!
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 4:17:50 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider777
I voted first. Fags are stupid.

Have you met my friend, Public Decency?
I third what Hollow said. Seriously, bro.

As for the topic, the actual term "Gay fag" confuses me. When I rearranged it in my head, like, if you change it to "Fags are gay", then you're just stating that a fag is gay. In that sense, I think it makes you a homosexual. I'm not sure about "Gay fag" though. Are both terms the same thing?

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 5:13:52 [Post link]

I suppose the topic is pointless. But it is a question that baffled me, and since it originated from this board, I found it only fitting.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Necro
Hail to the King, baby!

Stream: If you haven't heard, I'm the best
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 5:27:07 [Post link]

I don't think that when most people use words the word gay actually mean that what they're speaking about is homosexual. It's today's generation's way of saying something is uncool.

That doesn't mean that it should be acceptable. It still attaches stigma to homosexuality.

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit

Stream: I can fix it!

NetNavi:
Cookie.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 6:19:04 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by AimMan v2.5
You know how to avoid using terms like "gay" in negative definition? Don't use foul language at all.

I agree to that.

The phase is a grammatical disaster. It's like using a double negative in a sentence ("No, I don't know nothing.") or repeating yourself two times ("Somewhere where I could be alone."). It only shows how much people don't know their own language...

Sage
News reporter
All Business.

Stream: You know, I miss a lot of you.

NetNavi:
UgandaKnuckles.EXE
Z-license
Level: 10 [What's this?]
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 13:06:54 [Post link]

Ah...Words...just another way for Human's to insult others to make themselves feel better...but in this case, this is a incongrous or contradictory word..

Seriously, people need to start growing up, find better things to do then waste their time.

Quote:

If I remember correctly it was the 60's that brought out these cruel and forsaken words. People need to learn to respect others for what they are, not who they are. In my mind...Personality overrules all.

I suggest this as my friend told me.."Don't judge others if you can't judge yourself". Took me awhile to find out what that really meant, its why I try not to judge others unless I have too...I thank Mega for that.

Fight, Megaman! For everlasting peace! ~ :o

Zane Truesdale
Yu Grim Ravenface

Stream: RPG Characters Sins, FireFighters with tramp...

NetNavi:
Schatten.EXE
Z-license
Level: 6 [What's this?]
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 13:16:14 [Post link]

Quote:

Cigarette Happy? Man, I know a lot of people like that.:lol:

On the "Gay Fags" note, I think he was trying to insult us. <Well, duh!> Not knowing he was contridicting himself.

Nightmares are dreams that need re-coding.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Stream: Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 13:44:37 [Post link]

Stupidity has once again taken over another individual.

As for me, yes, I am a happy cigarette.:)

Since fag comes last, it cancels out gay, making you a "Happy straight person".

[Edited on 15-2-2006 by Smirnoff]

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 15:45:21 [Post link]

I say it cancels it out. Sometimes in language something like this can also double the 'effect', but usually they cancel each other out.

Quote:

Not meaning to stereotype, but doesn't that point towards them hippies? :o

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Maverick
My face is afflicted with Green.

Stream: Ouch, my thigh hurts.
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 16:29:12 [Post link]

Maybe he was calling everyone a "Happy bundle of sticks."

That's my opinion.

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 17:19:48 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Quote:
Originally posted by Kia_Purity

"Fags" still means "cigarettes" in the UK, and possibly Australia. As for "gay", in French, both uses are sort of equal at this point. You need the context to be able to tell.

Honestly, I find this topic utterly pointless, but I'll let it run just in case that it doesn't slip too much. If idiots go too far, I'll quickly lock this.

From what I understand, the word "fag", as in "gay" is short for "faggot", which is a kind of fat sausage-meat thing, often used as an insult to incinuate homosexuality. It is particularly used when the homosexual in question is slightly overweight and middle-aged. (Think Elton John).

By calling someone a gay fag, they are saying words to a similar effect of "a gay queer", even a homosexual homosexual. It is, in my oppinion, merely using the same insult twice, one as an adjective, second as a noun. A little like:

You f***ing F***er!
You w***ing w***er!

or more similarly,

You queer homosexual!

Which, as said above, merely translates to

You gay gay!

Although, I'm sure the comprehension of homosexuality was far beyond that n00b's understanding, so he was merely using it as a term for a person he didn't like.

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler

Stream: At my age, I qualify for Interordi's socia...

NetNavi:
Black Dranzer.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 18:00:49 [Post link]

The word Gay can institute two meanings.

1. A synonym of happy

2. A homosexual person

The adding of the word Fag (not using the full spelling) confirms the use of the second derivative. This concludes English class Pencils down. :P

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

PUNK
Hunter

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 21:24:19 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mega X.exe
As you'll recall, old ones, we had a Spammer a few summers ago who at one point called us "gay fags".

Recently I took up a conversation with 3 of my friends. We weren't able to come to a decision on whether calling someone a "gay fag" would insinuate homosexuality or not.

2 of us thought that it would be sort of a cancellation, while the other 2 thought it would simply mean more of the same intent.

So I bring the question to you: What do you think?

And yes, I know this is an odd question.

I think that the invertive/not-invertive logic cannot be applied to these two opposites because it doesn't seem that one has a "NOT" operation in it while the other doesn't. So a "gay fag" (both meaning homosexual) would simply mean homosexual as much as "straight heterosexual" would mean heterosexual. So the cancellation thing is flawed.

I think a "gay fag" is can be considered a tautology, since it repetites the same meaning.

[quote]Originally posted by Juno
[color=purple]It's an oxymoron. It is meant to mean that we're all really gay, but by adding fags on there it cancels it out, and makes it mean the opposite... An oxymoron.[/quote]
You're the one I disagree with. :D

Samsara

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 21:33:17 [Post link]

I agree. Calling this an oximoron is like saying a bright light is also an oximoron, although the two words strengthen eachother.

If, however, he called someone a "gay bi", that would be an oximoron, as a bisexual is technically not gay.

KayChan
Needy Patient

Stream: lifes stupid so shut up and eat your corn flakes!!
Posted on February 15, 2006 at 22:10:40 [Post link]

I dont know. dont ask me.

I love random pms!!!
My Name is PHILLIP!!!
CLICK HERE.... if you like WAFFLES!! muahahhahaha!!!

Samsara

Posted on February 15, 2006 at 22:19:08 [Post link]

Why bother posting, then?

BlueSilver
Rick

Stream: I'm Adorable!!
Posted on February 16, 2006 at 0:05:50 [Post link]

I think that if your going to say "Gay Fag" you would mean "Happy Homosexual" just becuase Homosexual Homosexual is redundant. It doens't cancel anything out (it's not division) it's just English.

Granted I'm sure that kid never though about it this much...

Dang... who WAS that guy? I remember that phrase, but can't remember who it was...

"I worship the Supreme Comrade Cossack!"

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun

Posted on February 16, 2006 at 2:12:48 [Post link]

I believe that was "hello", but I could be wrong.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

Samsara

Posted on February 16, 2006 at 16:43:04 [Post link]

I think that every major SPAMmer said it, at least once.

Nick
Banned

Stream: EVIL
Posted on February 16, 2006 at 23:23:08 [Post link]

CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW GAYFAG WOULD CANCEL OUT

fag(n)-1.gay guy 2. cigerette

right?

Pages: 1 2

New topic Reply