User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Video Games that made you...., SPOILERS MAYBE~

Pages: 1

MegamanZero66
PS3 Trophy betch.

Stream: Ezio! <3
Posted on September 28, 2010 at 7:38:12 [Post link]

I was thinking today, about all the different reactions I have gotten playing some games.. I know it may sound weird, but has anyone actually felt angry/sad/happy or even confused during or at the end of a video game?

As of right now, I am severely angry with Red Dead Redemption..

Spoiler (highlight to read):

Rockstar could have had an option to play as John Marston AFTER the end credits. I want to blow Jack's fucking head clean off his shoulders. The ending actually made me tear up, I got so into the game, I literally screamed nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Also trying to get the 100% Redeemed Trophy, but nooo it's glitched. I'm stuck at 99.9%! (Has anyone else had this happen?)

Uncharted 1 and 2 were just hilarious. Ending to Uncharted 2 was awesome, very funny. I've played through it 3 times now xD

Fatal Frame games scare the crap out of me. End of story.

Drakengard for PS2, probably one of the saddest endings I have ever seen. It has multiple endings, almost all of which the main character dies. That game was awesome though! (Not going to put spoiler tags since it's kind of an oldish game)

Anyone else?

Wesker
Robot master

Posted on September 28, 2010 at 12:04:01 [Post link]

I've had moments of anger or sadness in some of my games, can't remember which ones or why I had those feelings, but hey you know with the new DLC to Red Dead Redemption you can play as John Marston now in multiplayer right?

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on September 28, 2010 at 13:16:33 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Wesker
... but hey you know with the new DLC to Red Dead Redemption you can play as John Marston now in multiplayer right?

Off-topic, kind sir. You might have wanted to post this in the dedicated topic for the game instead.

As for having specific feelings at the end of some games, sure. RPGs are easy to point out since you tend to get far more involved with the characters and story. Final Fantasy VI's ending was and remains pretty special today: it takes the time to point out exactly what will happen to each character now that the game has ended, going as far as to show which characters you somehow didn't get back into your party. Those small sprites sure can be expressive!

The ending of Mega Man Battle Network 6 comes to mind, too. Not only do you know that the series is definitely over, you get a small glimpse of the future in the post-credits "20 years later" moment. Few game series bother to give some official closure, and I appreciate it when the dev teams take the time to do that, no matter how simple it is.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Wesker
Robot master

Posted on September 28, 2010 at 13:37:06 [Post link]

Didn't realize I was being off topic there, Doc. My bad. Anyways I do remember now that in most games, I put myself into the character I play as be it Mega Man, a Pokemon trainer, or umm, well any main character really. I put a little of myself in each character I play as, I become them. So yeah if angry, sad, or happy is their emotion, it becomes mine as well. Including heroic natures or evil natures of the characters (good thing I don't bring that out of the games haha).

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on September 28, 2010 at 15:22:52 [Post link]

I will tell everyone repeatedly that The Passing DLC in Left 4 Dead 2 fills me with sadness and anger.

Every.

Time.

Arkane
Archangel

NetNavi:
Evangale.EXE
Z-license
Level: 69 [What's this?]
Posted on September 28, 2010 at 17:09:08 [Post link]

I know this seems like an obvious one, but Aeris' death from FFVII still blows my mind. Just the fact that there's nothing you can do about it, no matter how you play the game, really exemplifies the harsh reality of death. And it gave me that cold, empty, sad feeling for the rest of the game. And yet, a part of me still wanted to carry on with the game, and see things through to the end. I think it was this particular moment of any game, that made me no longer take characters for granted.

And in FFVI, if you fail to keep Cid alive at the beginning of the World of Ruin, you will see a very heartbreaking scene where Celes, who has lost the only other person she thought was still alive after the world changed, actually try to kill herself, ending any hope for anything. I don't know about you, but I don't know any other game that's suppose to be for kids that has a scene of someone trying to commit suicide (Yeah, yeah, I know she fails.) I remember seeing that scene when I was 7, and breaking into tears. The music doesn't make it any easier either. (Damn you, Nobuo Uematsu.)

But, at least there's a way to prevent Cid's death, and prevent this heartbreaking scene with Celes. And I make absolutely sure that I do every time.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on September 28, 2010 at 21:39:56 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Arkane
But, at least there's a way to prevent Cid's death, and prevent this heartbreaking scene with Celes. And I make absolutely sure that I do every time.

Ha. For my first three playthroughs, I got the exact same result (Cid dying) so I assumed that it was the way things had to go. It was only some years later, when I heard about people managing to keep Cid alive, that I wondered enough about that part of the game to finally figure out what I was doing wrong.

I'll give you the point, though: that scene really was something. You're alone in an island, in a post-apocalyptic world, where the only beings alive are sickly mutant squirrels. Depressed, your character decides to throw herself off a cliff...

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Wesker
Robot master

Posted on September 28, 2010 at 23:16:53 [Post link]

Ya know, I was just thinking about it more, and I actually shed a tear during a game once, and that was when I was a little younger, I was playing my Pokemon Yellow version, I actually cried when my Pikachu fainted haha.

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork

Badges: Princess Celestia Lilly Satou Emi Ibarazaki Rin Tezuka Hanako Ikezawa ... and 18 more

NetNavi:
DragonMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 27 [What's this?]
Posted on September 28, 2010 at 23:24:33 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by MegamanZero66
Drakengard for PS2, probably one of the saddest endings I have ever seen. It has multiple endings, almost all of which the main character dies. That game was awesome though! (Not going to put spoiler tags since it's kind of an oldish game)

I've seen the endings to Drakengard. They're pretty much dick moves.

Okami almost made me cry bitch tears because the cutscene before the final boss is so heartwarming.

MegamanZero66
PS3 Trophy betch.

Posted on September 29, 2010 at 7:33:28 [Post link]

Well, thought about it some more, God knows I have nothing else to do with my life, LOL.

Tales of Symphonia made me cry at the end, it was a sad ending since I loved Kratos so much xD

Helldragon: Okami was a saddish ending as well ]=

Bioshock 2's ending made me cry...

I loved that Big Daddy, loved playing as him, but in all the flipping endings why does he have to die?? D=

Heavy Rain's Ending(s) just throw you off a bit, because after the first playthrough everything just seemed kind of... Meh.. To me.

To be completely honest some made me cry... Like when Ethan kills himself over Shawn's grave in one ending.. I cried for like almost an hour. And then there are scenes that made me cringe like chopping Ethan's finger off in "The Lizard".

Just Cause 2 makes me go =D

Juno
I AM the Iron Pony!!

Badges: Rainbow Dash Derpy Hooves Fluttershy Pinkie Pie Princess Celestia ... and 18 more
Stream: My skin shall forever be...Ponies!!

NetNavi:
Juno.EXE
Z-license
Level: 13 [What's this?]
Posted on September 30, 2010 at 21:47:19 [Post link]

Ahh, Tales of Symphonia. Good times! ^_^ I think I like Tales of the Abyss's ending better. It made me so happy. :D I nearly came to tears. But then I was confused.

When Luke comes back to life he has long red hair, and prior to that he caught the body of Asch. So, did they merge? Is Asch alive somewhere? What's the deal with Asch?!

~Juno~

MegamanZero66
PS3 Trophy betch.

Posted on October 1, 2010 at 7:15:30 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by Juno
Ahh, Tales of Symphonia. Good times! ^_^ I think I like Tales of the Abyss's ending better. It made me so happy. :D I nearly came to tears. But then I was confused.

When Luke comes back to life he has long red hair, and prior to that he caught the body of Asch. So, did they merge? Is Asch alive somewhere? What's the deal with Asch?!

~Juno~

Luke has long red hair at the beginning doesn't he? From what I remember playing, he cut it off after the first part-ish of the game.. o.o

Juno
I AM the Iron Pony!!

Badges: Rainbow Dash Derpy Hooves Fluttershy Pinkie Pie Princess Celestia ... and 18 more
Stream: My skin shall forever be...Ponies!!

NetNavi:
Juno.EXE
Z-license
Level: 13 [What's this?]
Posted on October 1, 2010 at 16:40:16 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by MegamanZero66
Quote:

~Juno~

Luke has long red hair at the beginning doesn't he? From what I remember playing, he cut it off after the first part-ish of the game.. o.o

Well, yes, but (and my memory could be fuzzy) it seemed more blood red at the end, like Asch's hair. Anyhow, my question still remains: What happened to Asch?

~Juno~

Morphman
Niz-Da

Stream: Arumon=Dog?

NetNavi:
Mewy.EXE
Z-license
Level: 35 [What's this?]
Posted on October 3, 2010 at 23:13:20 [Post link]

Quote:

Well, yes, but (and my memory could be fuzzy) it seemed more blood red at the end, like Asch's hair. Anyhow, my question still remains: What happened to Asch?

~Juno~

Asches to Asches, dust to dust...

*shot*

Anyhoo, for me... I got a big "nooo" reaction to what happened to Kratos at the end of ToS, too. Most emotional reaction though... prolly Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I was completely shocked when the princess died and everything got reversed, and then that battle after that. I got a little teary-eyed over that, and I think they really replicated such scenes well in the movie.

All hail the Supreme Comrade Cossack!

Daveris
Forum Poster

Badges: Princess Celestia Spy Sniper Medic Lilly Satou ... and 18 more
Stream: Mirror Spock is best Spock.

NetNavi:
WeatherMan.EXE
Z-license
Level: 4 [What's this?]
Posted on October 9, 2010 at 3:00:50 [Post link]

Castle Crashers' ending makes me laugh EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Shining Force's ending was anticlimactic; no way to end a game that good.

Edited by the dave on November 13, 2011 at 19:27:42

Arkane
Archangel

NetNavi:
Evangale.EXE
Z-license
Level: 69 [What's this?]
Posted on October 9, 2010 at 4:31:21 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by the dave
Castle Crashers' ending makes me laugh my head off. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I thought it was just kind of random, but...

Now I think it was the castle's Jester dressed up like a Princess, and ended up being mistaken as one and got kidnapped as a result!

If this is the case, then I can definitely see the irony!

Unless I'm missing something, and that Jester has some more significance.

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit

Stream: I can fix it!

NetNavi:
Cookie.EXE
Z-license
Posted on October 21, 2010 at 3:29:21 [Post link]

I always loved ICO's ending.

The breaking of Ico's horns, Yorda making sure he gets off the island while he was unconscious, the total destruction of the castle with a calm but sad song in the background, and the loneliness of the beach when he reaches land... until you find something washed up in the distance.

I either think he's dead or hallucinating/dreaming about the beach. And that's the fun part of the ending: open to interpretation.

Blink
Commander

Stream: MEDIC!
Posted on October 30, 2010 at 20:54:58 [Post link]

The ending of Phoenix Wright 3 had me on the verge of tears, to be honest.

I hate Dahlia Hawthorne so god damn much.

Edited by Blink on October 30, 2010 at 16:55:04.

What makes me a good Demoman?
If I were a bad Demoman, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I? Image

ring man77
Ninja of the dust particle

Badges: Emi Ibarazaki Shizune Hakamichi Hanako Ikezawa Hisao Nakai Lilly Satou ... and 16 more
Stream: *Static*

NetNavi:
creative.EXE
Z-license
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 1:24:17 [Post link]

I was playing Paper Mario and I was at the beging where bowser is all killing you and stuff and he killed mario and I started crying i'd seen that cutsene before so I diden't know why I was crying.

allso I was like 4 :P

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 17:58:12 [Post link]

Well I never cried at this, but Mother 3 sure as heck made me pretty sad, especially the ending. All the Mother (Earthbound) games really touched my heart, they are so precious!

The only other game that gives me intense emotion is Ape Escape, because it get extremely furious when the monkeys evade my net. *shakes fist*

Edited by Sakura on December 29, 2010 at 13:48:03.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on November 6, 2010 at 16:38:27 [Post link]

Silent Hill 2 was scary

I lol'd at this topic though

MegamanZero66
PS3 Trophy betch.

Posted on November 7, 2010 at 8:21:25 [Post link]

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowTorment
Silent Hill 2 was scary

I lol'd at this topic though

Sorry if it seemed funny? >_>;

smokehound
Servbot

Posted on December 29, 2010 at 16:27:31 [Post link]

No game has ever pissed me off like Pokemon TCG for gameboy color.

Hardman
Dragoon Paladin

Stream: I'm back. And I'm serious.
Posted on February 2, 2011 at 3:08:36 [Post link]

Games often piss me off on how often the computer would be cheap. Soul Calibur 4 AI may rage from Guard 24/7 And Then Attack, or Lizardman's Miltank Rollout. Ergh.

But for real, Persona 4. I stopped playing. Why? I didn't want to end. I never finished Nanako's S-Link in time!

Yes, THAT Hardman. This is the new and improved one.

Sakura
Aqua-cadet

Stream: Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Posted on November 8, 2011 at 13:29:58 [Post link]

Just finished Conker's Bad Fur Day, and wow, did not expect an ending like that!
Made me feel a little bad for Conker.
But, wish they would have kept the original ending, since no sequel came out.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk

Stream: NO ON NO ON NO ON
Posted on November 8, 2011 at 22:15:54 [Post link]

Quote from post #225196:
Originally posted by Blink
The ending of Phoenix Wright 3 had me on the verge of tears, to be honest.

I hate Dahlia Hawthorne so god damn much.

I loved her, what a great "villain". She's amazing.

TopHat
News reporter
Not Admin
Hats n' spirals

Badges: Caprice Rin Tezuka Soldier Spy Engineer ... and 22 more
Stream: I am VGWuhu, King of Monks http://cloud.steamp...

NetNavi:
Caapsu.EXE
Z-license
Level: 7 [What's this?]
Posted on November 9, 2011 at 7:40:12 [Post link]

The ending of Sonic Generations made me laugh because of the horrible irony.

Smirnoff
Superstar!

Stream: Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Posted on November 29, 2011 at 8:37:51 [Post link]

I can recall it vividly.

I was five. My mother and I took a pilgrimage to our local Blockbuster. Ecstatic, I went to work searching for the perfect PlayStation game.

A jewel case flickered at the end of the aisle. I picked it up feverishly. A young man no older than I adorned the cover art. Brandishing what appeared to be some sort of futuristic rifle, he stood heroically (and cautiously) in the foreground, opposite a malevolent entity of pure shadow.

Most fortuitously it was rated E, which meant there would be no uphill battle in getting my mother to rent it for me.

Heart of Darkness.

This fucking game, man.

I can't begin to imagine the potency of the crack the ESRB must've smoked to have them rate this title appropriate for everyone.

I popped in the disc and was thrust into a dreary, canyon level. Taking control of the protagonist, I made my way through the environment, taking extra care to eliminate these small, feral creatures who periodically tried to eat me.

Then one got the jump on me. Dear, sweet Andy was devoured. Not merely eaten, or gulped down in a lighthearted fashion - Dear God no. This was kind of like a...disembowelment, with the creature feasting on Andy's flesh as his frail, near lifeless body was descended on by other beings.

This game features the most visceral, unnerving deaths of any E-rated title I've played to date. The entire thing exudes the same level of uneasiness present in, say, a David Lynch film.

I grew up fast, and I grew up hard.

Pages: 1

New topic Reply