Interordi Menu
J_Hibiki
Red Abaranger
Inactive
403 posts

That's right the description had to be in all caps because...well it makes me more than a little upset.

So the Sony Press conference was last night, the unveiled the PS3 and the "new innovative controller" it has an "all new" tilt function that allows games to be manipulated via the controller. This technology which Sony claims to be "pioneering" is little less than a watered down Wiimote. It can only detect tilt much like those gba/gbc games that came out years ago that had a gyroscope in them. Also the PS3 will not support rumble because "it will interfere with the tilt function." But leave it to sony to even lie about why they don't have rumble anymore, the fact of the matter is that they are being sued for using it so it would cost WAY too much to keep it in.

Lastly I would like to point out the price range of the PS3, it was announced last night that it will come in two versions, a $500 "kit" and a $600 "main" the $500 will not support full high definition or be able to play blu-ray movies in full high def. as well as not being able to connect via Wi-Fi, plus only having a 20gig hard drive. But for the low low price of only 600USD you can own a ps3 with all the bells and whistles + a 60gig hard drive. w00t....so all in all I think Sony might have just killed themselves this gen

what are your thoughts?

87.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

MKDS code is:330772-112281

Bubbles bubbles bubbles

The Helldragon
Inquisitor of Zork
Inactive
-3257 post
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Got all items in the AFD2012 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Emi Ibarazaki
Emi Ibarazaki
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Rin Tezuka
Rin Tezuka
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 18 more

I've always played with my Wii, I was just waiting for it to become public so I felt less ashamed.

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Dear Sony,

Ripping off Microsoft's ideas = VERY BAD, DO NOT DO

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

Why are they being sued for rumble?

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Rioni Riishu
Superstar!
Inactive
729 posts

Yeah, I'm with Mega X... Why are they being sued for it? Anyway, for all intents and purposes, it looks like Sony shot themselves in the foot for me.

-Ri

PsychoGiga
Village Idiot
Inactive
534 posts

Those danged losers! They ripped off the 'Wiimote'!! Leave it to sony to steal other's ideas. 500 bucks!?!? 600 bucks!?!?!? Why the heck do we have to pay so much for their stolen ideas!? I'm going with the Wii first..

"A closed mouth gathers no foot" -This is a fact of life, and I don't know who said it.

94% of all teenagers have tried drugs at one time or another. If you are one of the 6% that haven't, put this message in your signature.

AimMan v2.5
Superstar!
Inactive
2429 posts

Man, I hate this news so much. Well, not so much, but I do feel dejected. Not only is the PS3 really going to cost $500 smackers, but the one with Wi-Fi connectivity's $600. I guess that's expectable, I just wish the deal could have been sweetened a little bit.

And I'm definitely not happy after hearing about the motion sensitivity. I just really didn't care about it nearly enough as a consumer to warrant the silly-slapping Sony's going to recieve from Nintendo enthusiasts. Things really seem to be going down-hill of a sudden...

I wish I had more to say about it, but I'm not really too learned on these types of subjects. I'll probably still get a PS3, just cause I'm a loser like that. :hehe:

But then again, I might not have time to play it anyways if I go off to Governer's School...

Edited by AimMan v2.5 on May 10, 2006 at 1:08:57.

Join the DevART Megaman Legends Club:
http://megaman-legends-club.deviantart.com

Enix
[One and Only]
Inactive
500 posts

Sony's controller = Tilt
Nintendo's controller = Motion Sensory

It's different technology, but looks similar.

Mr.Mettaur
News reporter
Superstar!
Inactive
1397 posts

Tch, like I'm letting my relatives spend 600 dollars on a game console this Christmas..

Screw that, I'm going with Wii.

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6342 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

For of all, let me get this out of my system: Sony sucks!

Now that this is out the way, I understand a bit better why Nintendo took so long to announce the special features of the Revolution (now Wii) while saying they were afraid of having their ideas stolen. The copycats were just around the corner!

As Enix said, it's important to note that what is hiding in the PS3 controller is something similar to what Kirby: Tilt 'n Tumble did on the GameBoy Color several years ago: it senses how you move the controller, like those labyrinth games where you must guide a ball through a path without falling in the holes. The Wii controller includes a lot more, since it's able to detect it's position relative to the TV screen as well as it's own inclination. That alone gives you a lot more possibilities for movement detection.

I gotta say that Sony is the company that surprised me the most today: they manage to cheaply copy Nintendo while blowing their feet off by going with a 500$ / 600$ price tag. Not too long ago, people were saying that Microsoft was going too far with the original Xbox's price, which was much less than this! I'd almost bet that Sony will cut back on features in order to lower that insane price point.

On a side note, I'm surprised that they're going with an updated Dual Shock controller. The boomerang looked odd, but I find the Dual Shock downright uncomfortable to hold.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

A "tilt" function is not all that new. Remember that steering wheel controller that comes out for almost any/every console? Same technology.

As again, I can not find ANYONE who sees these additions on the new consoles as gimmicks and actually see what is new. To get down to the core, none of the "new generation consoles" has anything new. Just rehashed ideas of the past...

Saying anyone stole "ideas" from others is ignoring the fact that the technology (both the tilt and laser controller) was made and done way in the past before. Oh! I cry for you, cartridge consoles! Why must people forget you?

Oh yea, I hate the price. Good thing I have a have things in perspective to know it don't need a new system.

Edited by Breakman on May 10, 2006 at 9:52:13.

Samsara
insert pop culture reference here
4029 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mettaur
Tch, like I'm letting my relatives spend 600 dollars on a game console this Christmas..

Screw that, I'm going with Wii.

...which is probably the one oppinion which could really damage Sony, here. Relying purely on diehard fanboys willing to pay literally anything is not a good idea.

Ace Scope
Superstar!
341 posts

A Poem-By Ace Scope

"Wii P'wns"
Why must we sit around and wait
Wii already know the PS3's fate
It will rot and die
As Sony starts to cry
Want to know why?
Cause the Wii O'wns!
The PS3 will crumble to bones!
I can here the sony fan's mones!
That is why the Wii O'wns

corte
Superstar!
Inactive
516 posts

What the hell man!? Why PS3 so expensive? I can get a Wii and Xbox 360 for the price of the cheapest PS3. Fuck that, I'm waiting until the price drops first.

Samsara
4029 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by corte
What the hell man!? Why PS3 so expensive? I can get a Wii and Xbox 360 for the price of the cheapest PS3. Fuck that, I'm waiting until the price drops first.

Has there actually even been an official price given, yet, though?

Blazen
Vv
Inactive
-48 post

Wow, I'm dissapointed in Sony. I was plannin on becomin a Sony person till the end, well guess what? DENIED! No way I'm spendin that much even if the games look good. (to me) Oh well. Looks like the Wii is for me. Heh, rymed.

Ace, thats....just....sad....thats...like....whoa....

corte
Superstar!
Inactive
516 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsara
Quote:
Originally posted by corte

I don't know but nintendo games are the cheapest so I figured the Wii would around 200-400$.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

An Ode to Sony--since fanboyism must be countered.

"Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Sony will kick the Wii's ass
And it'll kick yours too."

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

"You've never considered yourself much of a music person, which means you'll have a lot of adjusting to do after a high-speed collision with a harpsichord leaves you tragically harmonious."

Zaleon
King Friday
Inactive
549 posts

For all the fanboyism that's been thrown around by select individuals here, I'd think the prospects of the PS3 being a flop are unrealistic. Sony definitely has loyalty to call it's own. As well, the price point won't matter as much as expected to a fanbase

I'm being neutral when I say get off the nintendo gas that's diluting you. The wii won't crush the PS3 in a brilliant victory.

Just to differentiate myself, I'll say the Xbox 360 will win.

The Xbox 360 will win.

Edited by Zaleon on May 12, 2006 at 21:18:18.

Staff Backer Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Benevolent Dictator
6342 posts
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia
Acquired on 1 April 2012
Unity.EXE emblem
Unity.EXE emblem
Defeat Bass.EXE in the AFD2013 event!
Acquired on 1 April 2013
Zenny
Zenny
Unlock all of the main forum features!
Acquired on 1 April 2014
Squid beaker
Squid beaker
Earned all 150 original CL achievements
Acquired on 17 January 2016
Lilly Satou
Lilly Satou
Acquired on 1 April 2012

... and 25 more

Quote:

For the PS3, yes: 500$ US for the basic system, and 600$ for the fully featured one.

The Xbox360 is already out, so you know it's price.

As for the Wii, Nintendo didn't say anything yet but it's almost guaranteed to be between 200$ and 250$ US.

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2019!)

Black Dranzer.exe
World Traveler
Inactive
2838 posts

My thoughts, Screw Sony at that price I might as well buy an Oldsmobile. Looks like i'm getting the Wii.

Hey beautiful people, you're better off trying to e-mail me than message me on here.

Samsara
4029 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Quote:

For the PS3, yes: 500$ US for the basic system, and 600$ for the fully featured one.

OMG I thought that was just a rumour! o_o

I am NOT prepared to pay that much for a PS3!

And X, Nintendo fanboys are not the only fanboys. The PS2 has more than its own fair share of fanboys. Also, if you don't mind me saying, not buying a system purely because of other people who did seems farely idiotic, to me.

Edited by Samsara on May 13, 2006 at 19:58:29.

Breakman
1st Class Purifier Unit
Inactive
1788 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaleon
Just to differentiate myself, I'll say the Xbox 360 will win.

The Xbox 360 will win.

Ahh... The 360. The underdog of the systems... It's kinda nice that Microsoft, this time around, tried beefing up their marketing in Japan instead of just releasing it and expecting it to sell well.

Mega X.exe
Forum Nun
Inactive
6449 posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cossack
Quote:

OMG I thought that was just a rumour! o_o

I am NOT prepared to pay that much for a PS3!

And X, Nintendo fanboys are not the only fanboys. The PS2 has more than its own fair share of fanboys. Also, if you don't mind me saying, not buying a system purely because of other people who did seems farely idiotic, to me.

Edited by Samsara on May 13, 2006 at 19:58:29.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I don't intend to buy *any* of these systems. I just wanted to provoke Ace by disputing his "Wii is God" claims.

Weekly Horoscope
Cancer

Jun 22 - Jul 22

HollowTorment
Interordi's Lovable Jerk
4806 posts

Like I just said in chat, I just realized the PS3 costs more than my parents car.

I think I'd rather have another car than a PS3, thanks.

Zaleon
King Friday
Inactive
549 posts

See, no one complains when they're obliged to give the same amount of money to yours truly.

This speaks volumes.

BassGospel
Shirt Ninja
Inactive
561 posts

Well, I will get a PS3. No, really. I'll wait for it to come down in price, and foe there to be package deals. Plus, it allows me to spot any problems, remember the 360? I aint makin' the same mistake lots of X-Box fanboys made by buying the new shiny thing straight away. Hell no!

I don't know if I will get a Revowii (totally stolen). That plus a PS3 would be feckin' expensive, and I just do not have the cash.
Oh yeah, Playstation rocks ^_-

Evitron
Pronounced Ee-vih-trahn
Inactive
650 posts

I knew it.

The PS3 is going to suck total @#$% while the Wii brings in all the cashola. Sony really just killed themselves with the PS3; they're totally screwed now.

$600??? WTHFH? Nobody's going to buy a lousy console for $600. MMORPGs cost less than that even when you've been playing for 2 years!

Wii. Is. Great.

Or, the poster formerly known as Pri- I mean, rockmaniskool.

Rioni Riishu
Superstar!
Inactive
729 posts

I think what gets me the most is how many people are going to pay out the nose for these things. Seriously- think of the agegroup that gets these things. Either kids are whining at their parents to spend exuberant amounts of money on them, or people who really don't have the money to spend- like college students and young adults trying to pay rent and car insurence- are forking over cash they shouldn't. Now, I guess that's their own fault, but still. If consoles keep getting more expensive, they might end up losing money because they'll lose a lot of buyers. Now, I love videogames- maybe too much sometimes, but call me old fashion- whatever happened to going outside? Reading a book? Something that involves something other than the TV or the computer. x_o Then again, saying that will probably get me called an old hick or something.

-Ri

Smirnoff
Superstar!
Inactive
1069 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Rioni Riishu
I think what gets me the most is how many people are going to pay out the nose for these things. Seriously- think of the agegroup that gets these things. Either kids are whining at their parents to spend exuberant amounts of money on them, or people who really don't have the money to spend- like college students and young adults trying to pay rent and car insurence- are forking over cash they shouldn't. Now, I guess that's their own fault, but still. If consoles keep getting more expensive, they might end up losing money because they'll lose a lot of buyers. Now, I love videogames- maybe too much sometimes, but call me old fashion- whatever happened to going outside? Reading a book? Something that involves something other than the TV or the computer. x_o Then again, saying that will probably get me called an old hick or something.

-Ri

Amen dude! I just can't get over the prices that are going for these things, unless eveyone's expendable income gets bumped up, I doubt we'll be seeing many NORMAL people buying these things. But, the sad thing is, that they aren't going to lower the prices because they know there are alot of fanatics out that will keep them afloat.

As taken from a phone conversation I had a few days ago - "600 dollars? DUDE! It's a god-damn toaster that plays interactive movies!" - Smirnoff